Take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Caufield has 5 pts in his last 7 games, hes hardly a question mark.
Hey love the guy but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. Pinto has a size advantage, but Caufield has the skill advantage especially when it comes to goals...dude has been able to score goals at every level he has played so far. Heck I'd love both on my team!

Reactions: Habano and NyQuil

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Let's all forget that Caufield brocked goal scoring records left and right, wherever he went, and let's focus on the 10 games he played.

C'mon Sens fans. Get serious one second please.

If Pinto gets to Danault level, it will be great for you, because Danault is freaking awesome. He's no 1c (our will be Suzuki <3 ) but he still a beast.

...... But Caufield's ceilling is one or two tier above that.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Let's all forget that Caufield brocked goal scoring records left and right, wherever he went, and let's focus on the 10 games he played.

C'mon Sens fans. Get serious one second please.

If Pinto gets to Danault level, it will be great for you, because Danault is freaking awesome. He's no 1c (our will be Suzuki <3 ) but he still a beast.

...... But Caufield's ceilling is one or two tier above that.

If we’re talking about ceiling’s, Pinto’s is that of Sean Couturier in all honesty, hell he was a finalist for the Hobey Baker right alongside Caufield and I guarantee he was the runner up.

Caufield will never impact the game defensively like Pinto, just doesn’t happen for guys his size with his skills.

Either way, it’s a major win for Ottawa since there is even a debate here; Ottawa was able to get Pinto in the second round while Caufield was a projected top-10 pick.

Reactions: SENStastic

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If we’re talking about ceiling’s, Pinto’s is that of Sean Couturier in all honesty, hell he was a finalist for the Hobey Baker right alongside Caufield and I guarantee he was the runner up.

Caufield will never impact the game defensively like Pinto, just doesn’t happen for guys his size with his skills.

Either way, it’s a major win for Ottawa since there is even a debate here; Ottawa was able to get Pinto in the second round while Caufield was a projected top-10 pick.
Which turned into a steal at 15.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

I mostly agree with everything.

Caufield also wasn't signed to be a defensive player tho; he was signed because he puts puck in goal at historical pace wherever he went but yeah, he's no Bob Gainey lol

And even if Pinto's future is Danault, I mean, Danault is still a top 10 defensive forward in the NHL, easily. That's not bad at all lol

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I feel as these guys are not really comparable. I have only watch a bit of both players, but Pinto seems more like a defensive shut down player who has an upside of adding OK amount of points. Whereas, Caufield seems more a goal scorer -- but less defensive.

I've been thrilled with what I've seen from Pinto, and see him being that type of hard working defensive guy you want to have for the playoffs (sort of like a Pageau type). But maybe I'm totally off my rocker on that one.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
The fact that Pinto got a single vote is why I don't take HF seriously lol.

Um, he was the runner up HB finalist, dominated his NCAA conference and was the best forward in his bubble. He's only been committed to hockey for the last 4-5 years, skies the limit with regards to being a 2-way force for Pinto.
But if you wanted a hot take, Pinto is going to be a better overall player than KK. Take it to the bank :popcorn:

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Um, he was the runner up HB finalist, dominated his NCAA conference and was the best forward in his bubble. He's only been committed to hockey for the last 4-5 years, skies the limit with regards to being a 2-way force for Pinto.
But if you wanted a hot take, Pinto is going to be a better overall player than KK. Take it to the bank :popcorn:
Probably... KK ain’t special. Caufield will be in another stratosphere

Reactions: Stive Morgan

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Probably... KK ain’t special. Caufield will be in another stratosphere

In terms of goal scoring and offensive output, no question that Caufield will be better. Overall 2-way play, that will still be Pinto simply because he's a C that has size and excellent hockey IQ while Caufield is an undersized winger with an insane shot/offensive IQ.

You can't really compare the two but would you rather have O'Rielly/Couturier or DeBrincat/Hoffman like players? (only comparing styles there not ceilings)

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I repeat. The fact that Pinto has 1 single vote is the reason why HF is a joke.

If you want a take, not a bold one, Caufield is going to be a 50 goal scorer. Better than KK, Tkachuk, he's on another level. Pinto likely tops out as a fringe 2nd liner.

You talk about the Hobey Baker, who won it? You talked about dominating the NCAA, who finished 1st in goals and points? Lmao

HF is such a funny website :laugh:

Last edited:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
In terms of goal scoring and offensive output, no question that Caufield will be better. Overall 2-way play, that will still be Pinto simply because he's a C that has size and excellent hockey IQ while Caufield is an undersized winger with an insane shot/offensive IQ.

You can't really compare the two but would you rather have O'Rielly/Couturier or DeBrincat/Hoffman like players? (only comparing styles there not ceilings)
Putting the puck in the net the way he can do is just so rare. Maybe I’m just a habs fan starved of goals but I absolutely go with the goal scorers stylistically.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Putting the puck in the net the way he can do is just so rare. Maybe I’m just a habs fan starved of goals but I absolutely go with the goal scorers stylistically.

Other than recently with Suzuki your organization has been, I would argue, even more so starved for a #1 C (hence drafting KK in the first place over Tkachuk for example). But to each their own, both will be fantastic players. Every time I've watched Caufield shoot the puck I thought it could have been a goal.

Last edited:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Other than recently with Suzuki your organization has been, I would argue, even more so starved for a #1 C (hence drafting KK in the first place over Tkachuk for example). But to each their own, both will be fantastic players. Every time I've watched Caufield shot the puck I thought it could have been a goal.
We’re starved of a lot...

but agreed lots to be excited for here

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

If you want a take, not a bold one, Caufield is going to be a 50 goal scorer. Better than KK, Tkachuk, he's on another level. Pinto likely tops out as a fringe 2nd liner.

You talk about the Hobey Baker, who won it? You talked about dominating the NCAA, who finished 1st in goals and points? Lmao

Sure I could see him scoring 50, it's literally what he's known for.. but Pinto was our 2nd line C after 12 games this year and will be battling Norris for our #1 job going forward. Kid is an absolute stud. Saying he'll top out as a fringe 2nd liner is why people don't take this website seriously, it's filled with hyperbole nonsense like that claim.

And "he's on another level" lol slow down champ, I know MTL isn't exactly the hot spot for elite prospects/goal scorers in recent decades but let's pump the brakes on claiming he'll be better than Tkachuk. Better goal scorer/offensive generator? no doubt but other then that I don't think you can argue any other category/metric that Caufield > Tkachuk.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Sure I could see him scoring 50, it's literally what he's known for.. but Pinto was our 2nd line C after 12 games this year and will be battling Norris for our #1 job going forward. Kid is an absolute stud. Saying he'll top out as a fringe 2nd liner is why people don't take this website seriously, it's filled with hyperbole nonsense like that claim.

And "he's on another level" lol slow down champ, I know MTL isn't exactly the hot spot for elite prospects/goal scorers in recent decades but let's pump the brakes on claiming he'll be better than Tkachuk. Better goal scorer/offensive generator? no doubt but other then that I don't think you can argue that any other category/metric that Caufield > Tkachuk.
There is no world where I take Tkachuk over Caufield. He has the 'it' factor. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
There is no world where I take Tkachuk over Caufield. He has the 'it' factor. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

LOL Brady is literally the definition of "IT" factor. He would drag your sorry Habs to the conference finals this year had you drafted him.

I think Caufield is going to be a top goal scorer and a solid player but you need to tempter expectations for what an undersized offensively gifted goal scoring winger is going to do for your team, he's not Patty Kane here... He's going to be good but you got the fanboy glasses on mate.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I feel as these guys are not really comparable. I have only watch a bit of both players, but Pinto seems more like a defensive shut down player who has an upside of adding OK amount of points. Whereas, Caufield seems more a goal scorer -- but less defensive.

I've been thrilled with what I've seen from Pinto, and see him being that type of hard working defensive guy you want to have for the playoffs (sort of like a Pageau type). But maybe I'm totally off my rocker on that one.

They're not comparable at all, it's like comparing Bergeron with DeBrincat

This is why this poll is kinda hard to answer. I think it comes down to what type of player you think will make your team better and harder to play against.

I have watched a lot of Caufield and Pinto both in the WJC/NCAA and NHL, and I'm taking Pinto. It's possible that Caufield scores 30+ a few times but I am going Pinto. Tkachuk, Batherson, Stutzle, Norris, Brown, Formenton... we'll be ok scoring goals. Norris/Tkachuk/Batherson were all on pace to score 25 this season, Brown was on pace to score 31. Stutzle will also start to fill the net in the near future.

If you want a take, not a bold one, Caufield is going to be a 50 goal scorer. Better than KK, Tkachuk, he's on another level.

Wait... what? So now Caufield is going to be a 50 goals scorer? You realize 6'3 Auston Matthews (best goal scorer of his generation, Ovie's successor) hasn't scored 50 yet? Give the kid a chance for christ's sake, my 11 y/o daughter has 2 inches on him.

Everything is possible but in the last 10 years :

- Ovechkin scored 50 goals or more 4 times (53, 51, 51, 50)
- Stamkos, Malkin and Draisaitl scored 50 goals or more once (60, 50, 50)

If this isn't a BOLD take, then what is it?

Pinto likely tops out as a fringe 2nd liner.

Well, Pinto has played as an excellent 2nd line center right out of the gate (same gate as Caufield and they're basically the same age), excellent defensively and on the PK, while producing 7 ES pts (barely no PP/no OT TOI) pts in 12 games (0.58 PPG) playing with very green/young players (Stutzle/Formenton) and guys known as bottom-6 players (Connor Brown/Nick Paul). He did all that in 12:31 of TOI/GP

So if you mean, he has shown better that his top ceiling as a pure 20 y/o rookie with no pro experience, then ok I guess...

Talk about HF being ridiculous, you are the PERFECT EXAMPLE. :help:

Last edited:

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
They're not comparable at all, it's like comparing Bergeron with DeBrincat

This is why this poll is kinda hard to answer. I think it comes down to what type of player you think will make your team better and harder to play against.

I have watched a lot of Caufield and Pinto both in the WJC and NHL, and I'm taking Pinto. It's possible that Caufield scores 30+ a few times but I am going Pinto. Tkachuk, Batherson, Stutzle, Norris, Brown, Formenton... we'll be ok scoring goals. Norris/Tkachuk/Batherson were all on pace to score 25 this season, Brown was on pace to score 31. Stutzle will also start to fill the net in the near future.

Wait... what? So now Caufield is going to be a 50 goals scorer? You realize 6'3 Auston Matthews hasn't scored 50 yet? Give the kid a chance for christ's sake, my 11 y/o daughter has 2 inches on him.

Everything is possible but in the last 10 years :

- Ovechkin scored 50 goals or more 4 times (53, 51, 51, 50)
- Stamkos, Malkin and Draisaitl scored 50 goals or more once (60, 50, 50)

If this isn't a BOLD take, then what is it?

Well, Pinto has played as an excellent 2nd line center right out of the gate (same gate as Caufield and they're basically the same age), excellent defensively and on the PK, while producing 7 ES pts (barely no PP/no OT TOI) pts in 12 games (0.58 PPG) playing with very green/young players (Stutzle/Formenton) and guys known as bottom-6 players (Connor Brown/Nick Paul). He did all that in 12:31 of TOI/GP

So if you mean, he has shown better that his top ceiling as a pure 20 y/o rookie with no pro experience, then ok I guess...

Talk about HF being ridiculous, you are the PERFECT EXAMPLE. :help:
Pinto compared to Bergeron :laugh::laugh:

You really think Caufield won’t hit 50 in his career? I’d take that bet all day long

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

You really think Caufield won’t hit 50 in his career? I’d take that bet all day long

You're seriously something. I'm starting to understand why everyone call you out in many threads. Not that familiar with main boards.

And no, Pinto wasn't compared to Bergeron, it takes minimal reading skills... Unless you assume that I think that Caufield will be as good as DeBrincat as a walk in the park? Well, not garanteed at all, just like no garantee that Pinto will approach Bergeron.

And even if Pinto was compared to Bergeron, it's still not as homer-ish as Caufield to Ovechkin/Matthews, generational players.

Someway, somehow, you always manage to top out max homerism. lol

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Nothing against Caufield, but only 4 players have scored 50+ goals in the past 10 years.

All of them had a better supporting cast than Canfield is projected to have. I think he’ll have an impact like Debrincat but won’t have the supporting cast of Kane and Toews that allows him more space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad