Take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That would be a good example if kotkaniemi was outproducing stuzle but he's not. Stützle has almost 50% more points while being a couple years younger.

Terrible comparison.
Stutzles is 19 and kk 20.

Production doesnt really matter here, especially with the two 2019 picks and their small sample size.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Caufield has incredible upside and early glimpses seem to indicate his size won't prevent his scoring ability from translating to the NHL, which was the main question mark against him. Pinto's looking like a great 2nd round steal but feeling pretty confident in Caufield right now

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Stutzles is 19 and kk 20.

Production doesnt really matter here, especially with the two 2019 picks and their small sample size.

Sorry I thought they were 2 drafts apart. Thought kk was born in 2000 and drafted in 2018 and stutzle born in 2002 and drafted in 2020.

My bad. I guess I need to do more research before I post.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Who would I want to pot a few goals throughout the season? Caufield. Who would I want in my playoff lineup? Shane Pinto.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Every organization in the league has a Shane Pinto type prospect.

Lol. Aight. There are not 30 NHLers who are what Pinto could become. Yes, Caufield is rarer... that's not necessarily a good thing.

I do lean Caufield here but Pinto is an excellent prospect with a huge development curve.
I'd say Sean Farrell has a better chance of being a star player then him.

Sean Farrell is half a foot smaller than Pinto and, from all I've heard, projects as a winger. Yes, every team has a prospect who could score more than Pinto. Very few players outside of the NHL have his smarts and all-around tools. Guy is going to be an exceptional player in the defensive & neutral zone, if not the offensive zone.

It seems to me like your comment was made due to a total lack of knowledge about what type of player Pinto is.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I am not saying that every team has a player who plays the game the same way as Pinto I am saying every team has a prospect with his projected ceiling of a 2nd/3rd line player. Caufield projects as one of the best goal scorers in the NHL at his ceiling.

Pinto is fine but as I said, he looks a lot like Danault to me.

I don't think Pinto's ceiling is a 2nd/3rd line player at all. Danault is a reasonable outcome for Pinto, but its not his ceiling... just like Caufield could very reasonably develop into little more than a Mike Hoffman-type player, but has higher upside.

Pinto's technical ability and hockey IQ are through the roof. There are many Sens fans who see him as our eventual 1C. When you reduce players to broad categories like you're doing, it lacks any nuance whatsoever. What if Pinto becomes a Ryan OReilly type? How good does Caufield have to be to be better than him then?

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yes but Caufield is a different player. It would be like comparing Kotkaniemi to Stutzle, both great player but one is clearly a better player and only a clear homer would say otherwise.

On the ice Kotkaniemi may have "similar" value because of two way play and physicality, but Stutzles offensive ability is special.

Don't be a homer, nobody likes that.

That's the thing about being a homer, you don't bother to look at any other player, just the guy your horse is hitched to. As a Sens fan, it's obvious Caufield is going to be a good player for a long time, but again, as a Sens fan, I've seen Pinto up close for 1/6th of a season and to dismiss him so easily is to be wearing homer goggles.

Do I think Pinto will be better? I don't know, it's a little early for a poll like this. I like his aggressive style, his absolutely amazing defensive positioning, his penchant to keep pucks in and distribute them, his tenacity on the forecheck. I like everything about him basically. But again, you need to lay down the homer goggles and look at both players for a year or two before you make any kind of decision, not make silly comparisons because it suits you.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's the thing about being a homer, you don't bother to look at any other player, just the guy your horse is hitched to. As a Sens fan, it's obvious Caufield is going to be a good player for a long time, but again, as a Sens fan, I've seen Pinto up close for 1/6th of a season and to dismiss him so easily is to be wearing homer goggles.

Do I think Pinto will be better? I don't know, it's a little early for a poll like this. I like his aggressive style, his absolutely amazing defensive positioning, his penchant to keep pucks in and distribute them, his tenacity on the forecheck. I like everything about him basically. But again, you need to lay down the homer goggles and look at both players for a year or two before you make any kind of decision, not make silly comparisons because it suits you.
Ive loved Pinto for years now. He made my top 20 draft list in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a low-end 60 pts 2way 1C.

Still, thats Cole Caufield were talking about, kid scores goals and he does so at an elite level. Just the fact that I think so highly of Pinto should tell you how good I think Caufields going to be.

Same way people who said Toews was better than Kane were wrong. Offensive production at an elite level trumps all.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ive loved Pinto for years now. He made my top 20 draft list in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a low-end 60 pts 2way 1C.

Still, thats Cole Caufield were talking about, kid scores goals and he does so at an elite level. Just the fact that I think so highly of Pinto should tell you how good I think Caufields going to be.

Same way people who said Toews was better than Kane were wrong. Offensive production at an elite level trumps all.
It would have saved me some time and a post if you had said that to begin with instead of what came off as total homerism.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I never said he was the same I said he has a higher ceiling and I think, when analyzing prospects, the ceiling is where we should be looking as opposed to the floor. Pinto looks like a solid player in the Lars Eller/Phil Danault mold. Can play up in the lineup but likely a 3C on a contender.

Pinto has never dominated at any level in terms of production I seriously doubt he is going to start at the NHL level and all of a sudden turn into a legit top centre. Obviously there's a small chance like anything in sports, but I'd wager it's a very small chance.

So Farrell is a better prospect than Kotkaniemi then?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Pinto is a future 2nd center/3rd center.
Which is not bad at all.

But Caufield has a much better pedigree wherever he played and LOL at Sens fans who take the 10 games they both played as their argument as why Pinto is better than Caufield.

If both bust, Pinto is the safer bet, yeah.
But Caufield will put numbers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Arent you the guy who had Josh Brook as a top 10 prospect in the NHL?

Pot meet kettle.
You can be a homer, but don’t act like you’re above it.
What if I just thought (and still think) Josh Brook is a very good prospect ? I also had Nic Hague and Pavel Dorofeyev in the top 15 that year, whats up with that ? Am I a Vegas homer ?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Every organization in the league has a Shane Pinto type prospect.

I'm not sure how many Cole Caufield's exist in prospect pools across the league tbh.

It's true that Ottawa doesn't have a 5'7 goal scorer prospect. Doesn't mean that there isn't like 8 Ottawa assets I wouldn't trade 1 vs 1 for Caufield, and maybe a few more where I'd have to think about it.

The closest the Habs have to Pinto is Ryan Poehling but it's not a debate as who you'd take at this point in time.

I am not saying that every team has a player who plays the game the same way as Pinto I am saying every team has a prospect with his projected ceiling of a 2nd/3rd line player. Caufield projects as one of the best goal scorers in the NHL at his ceiling.

Pinto is fine but as I said, he looks a lot like Danault to me.

Danault is a great 2-way center, MacKinnon said recently that he's one of the hardest players to play against. So I could see this with Pinto. Both are pretty good on face-offs, Pinto could even be elite in that aspect.

However, chances are high that Pinto ends up significantly better offensively. First, have you seen Pinto's one timer in College? Underrated playmaking and top notch hockey sense. This is a guy that started taking hockey seriously at 15 y/o... maybe he's just scratching the surface.

I don't think Pinto's ceiling is a 2nd/3rd line player at all. Danault is a reasonable outcome for Pinto, but its not his ceiling... just like Caufield could very reasonably develop into little more than a Mike Hoffman-type player, but has higher upside.

Pinto's technical ability and hockey IQ are through the roof. There are many Sens fans who see him as our eventual 1C. When you reduce players to broad categories like you're doing, it lacks any nuance whatsoever. What if Pinto becomes a Ryan OReilly type? How good does Caufield have to be to be better than him then?

I'd say Caufield absolute ceiling is DeBrincat but not convinced he'll be as good. Caufield putting Hoffman's totals is not a guarantee either, but plausible

I see Caufield more like an Atkinson type of guy, but with more efficiency with his shot than Cam.

Usually guys like that are 2nd rounders that boomed. Montreal took a risk drafting CC that high and so far it has been a good bet.

And yeah, people thinking Pinto is a "2nd/3rd line player" at best haven't followed his crazy development curve. It reminds me a bit of 3rd liner Josh Norris who was still labeled like that after he dominated the AHL last year at 20 y/o. Seems like the label is finally starting to go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: SENStastic

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Pinto is producing more offense at the NHL level, is more well rounded, and has the size to be more effective.

At this point you gotta think it's him unless something changes.

Caufield was a better college player though but that's neither here nor there.

4 goals (including 2 GWG) and 5 pts in 10 games is more impressive than 1 goal and 7 pts in 12 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->