Movies: CATS

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Is this some sort of horror musical? Cause I'll give em props if that were the case, trailer succeeded in terrifying. /s

*Not about it terrifying me though, for that I'm being serious.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Someone is getting fired at Universal after this trainwreck

$95M production budget + Who know how much on advertising = A paltry $7-8M opening weekend

Cats is an absolute bomb for studio and they will be losing money

Whoever gave the greenlight to this movie will have alot of explaining to do to the board

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Someone is getting fired at Universal after this trainwreck

$95M production budget + Who know how much on advertising = A paltry $7-8M opening weekend

Cats is an absolute bomb for studio and they will be losing money

Whoever gave the greenlight to this movie will have alot of explaining to do to the board
Yes. As I was saying elsewhere...

The rule of thumb : Because everyone has their hands out and because there are always a ton of costs on top of making the movie, movies have to bringing in 2 to 3 times their budget just to break even.

Even without the multiplication factor, the losses will be HUGE.

I am glad to see garbage like this rot on the financial grapevine.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It gets worse. :(

After Universal Pictures’ new film “Cats” was clawed and torn to shreds by critics last week, the studio told movie theaters on Friday that it would be sending a new version of the film with “some improved visual effects.”

The move of replacing a film already in theaters with an “improved” version is unheard of But according to a copy of a memo obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, director Tom Hooper has been upfront about the fact that he barely finished the CGI on the film in time for the world premiere in New York City last week, and the switch is at his request.

'Cats' Poor Reception Prompts Universal to Send an 'Improved,' Updated Version to Theaters

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Jesus just push the premiere back. Who thought putting it up against Star Wars was a good idea anyhow?
I was shocked to see this movie come out in December. This is the type of movie that usually gets dumped in the middle of January or in February. It must mean that they were somehow confident about this movie which makes it even more hilarious.

Reactions: Osprey

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was shocked to see this movie come out in December. This is the type of movie that usually gets dumped in the middle of January or in February. It must mean that they were somehow confident about this movie which makes it even more hilarious.

Well big Oscar bait musicals do come out around now, but they should have seen the disaster coming.

Apparently the original plan for this date was a Wicked adaptation but the director won them over with this Cats pitch. Lol

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Well big Oscar bait musicals do come out around now, but they should have seen the disaster coming.

Apparently the original plan for this date was a Wicked adaptation but the director won them over with this Cats pitch. Lol
This movie was most likely green lit by the same executives that approved of that terrible Tom Cruise Mummy movie which was supposed to be the beginning of the Dark Universe. That thing was bad but they really outdid themselves with this train wreck.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

It made senses from a release timing perspective. The Greatest Showman is the template for this type of thing to succeed.

If this film was mediocre, it probably would have gotten a lot of Golden Globe attention, as it's the type of film that organization eats up (big budget musical, high profile cast).

While I have no intention of seeing this, I actually applaud the risk taken here. They took a big swing on this.

Unlikely something like the Mummy, they weren't trying to build a franchise or anything.

I'm curious how some of the other big budget musical projects fare over the next few years. Next year has Lin Manuel Miranda's In The Heights, and Spielberg doing a remake of West Side Story. Wicked seems to be in the pipeline. Success or failure of those will dictate if we're see more of these.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I'm curious how some of the other big budget musical projects fare over the next few years. Next year has Lin Manuel Miranda's In The Heights, and Spielberg doing a remake of West Side Story. Wicked seems to be in the pipeline. Success or failure of those will dictate if we're see more of these.

There's a planned film adaptation of Miss Saigon lurking in the shadows.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It made senses from a release timing perspective. The Greatest Showman is the template for this type of thing to succeed.

If this film was mediocre, it probably would have gotten a lot of Golden Globe attention, as it's the type of film that organization eats up (big budget musical, high profile cast).

While I have no intention of seeing this, I actually applaud the risk taken here. They took a big swing on this.

Unlikely something like the Mummy, they weren't trying to build a franchise or anything.

It isn’t that big a risk. We have been seeing these big budget musical remakes for a while. Hell Hooper himself did Le Miz with a lot more success.

Mistake one was choosing Cats.

Reactions: DoyleG

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
How ‘Cats’ Became A Calamity At The Box Office With $6.5M Opening

‘Cats’ Bombs At The Box Office With $6.5M: Here’s Why – Deadline

Well, at least I can still enjoy it in the theater.

1577052236897.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad