GDT: Cats at Caps 7:00 EST Verizon Center

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
3-0-2 boys, told me that 3 months ago I woulda taken it7/365.

Figured this was going to be tougher than it should be. The Panthers aren't going 1-81 they're an NHL team.

Halpysback*

V5LnmHg.gif

Defense by the Avs is interesting.

Yep, Varly was a Vezina finalist while putting up with these plays 20 times a night.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah, Ekblad & Mitchell are a couple of solid defensive additions for that Florida team. They've only given up ten goals in five games so they've been pretty stingy overall.

You'd like to see the Caps use their speed more in these more methodical games, particularly if they're not really buying into grinding a team down.

I think they're doing well more because of the system then anything. Trap hides a lot of flaws.

More power too them, but they're still not super great. They'll have a good D in a year or 2 though. Also must be boring as hell to watch.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
:laugh: lol...caps almost lost to Florida

They actually are playing quite well defensively. I looked up the shot totals against florida so far this season, every game they allow 23-24 shots against, Capitals are the first team to get 27 on them. All of their games have been close. Panthers are being over looked here in this aspect.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Impressions after the game.

Overall boring game.
Only line passing the eye test was Chimera-Fehr-Ward.
Peters isn't inducting any panic in me, that's good.
Nice SO from all 3 our guys.

Ekblad is big, calm and skilled guy. Said no to myself about getting him in fantasy. Still years to come into full power.

Laich injured his shoulder imho. That was a point of contact I think. We'll see.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They actually are playing quite well defensively. I looked up the shot totals against florida so far this season, every game they allow 23-24 shots against, Capitals are the first team to get 27 on them. All of their games have been close. Panthers are being over looked here in this aspect.

As I said, it was like watching the MTL series all over again, except vs a competent backup in Montoya instead of hot goalie in Halak.

Caps and Trotz have got to find ways to deal with teams like this, especially on nights where the calls don't go your way and the PP isn't an equalizer. I know coaches for years have been trying to do this but obviously some have succeeded, otherwise only smothering, trapping teams with low forward payrolls would be winning Cups. This kind of thing was BB's downfall.

I think stretch passes were part of the plan last night, at least as an adjustment. That doesn't seem to be enough by itself. I wasn't able to pay enough attention to Xs and Os to offer anything more specific to the game.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
As I said, it was like watching the MTL series all over again, except vs a competent backup in Montoya instead of hot goalie in Halak.

Caps and Trotz have got to find ways to deal with teams like this, especially on nights where the calls don't go your way and the PP isn't an equalizer. I know coaches for years have been trying to do this but obviously some have succeeded, otherwise only smothering, trapping teams with low forward payrolls would be winning Cups. This kind of thing was BB's downfall.

I think stretch passes were part of the plan last night, at least as an adjustment. That doesn't seem to be enough by itself. I wasn't able to pay enough attention to Xs and Os to offer anything more specific to the game.

I agree, for once though I have complete trust in this Coach to fully make adjustments for these sort of things. I am so impressed with Trotz and what he's accomplished with this team in an incredible small amount of time. Things are looking up here and its an exciting time to be a Caps fan again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree, for once though I have complete trust in this Coach to fully make adjustments for these sort of things. I am so impressed with Trotz and what he's accomplished with this team in an incredible small amount of time. Things are looking up here and its an exciting time to be a Caps fan again.

Well here's the difference between BB and Trotz on this topic...

BB was an offensive minded coach and when the offense dried up he fell back on a trap in order to fight fire with fire (not counting the few times he just stalled). Trotz has been more of a balanced coach with much less offensive firepower on his rosters, and has had experience in the NHL coaching these defensive-minded teams beyond just trapping.

For those reasons I think Trotz will understand more about what the other team is doing and how to counter it. I think he can distinguish between what's a long-term pattern or winner and what's a short term blip in this sense. I don't see him throwing his entire philosophy out the window when all that's needed are a few adjustments or strategy tweaks based on opponent, line, or whatever...whereas BB threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
My biggest question regarding Trotz and his assistants: can they develop/refine decision-making with the puck? It's been an issue for quite some time in all three zones. Some of it is the personnel not being that bright and their general free-flowing, low impact style but there should be a degree in which structure and better habits improve that area. There have been some improvements in their breakouts and short-area passing but it's still fairly sloppy. Work ethic only goes so far.

I'm confident the coaching staff will iron out better defensive habits generally speaking and likely with time a more consistent work ethic. I'm not so sure their overall possession game will improve enough absent taking a more critical stance on the makeup of the forwards. Some improvement is inevitable due to their younger skilled players developing but beyond that the mix remains a bit questionable.

Halpysback*

There is only one sole proven formula to dealing with teams like these, it involves crashing the hell out of the net over and over and over until the hot goalie goes cold. If we had a Hornqvist or Brown type guy it would be very doable.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There is only one sole proven formula to dealing with teams like these, it involves crashing the hell out of the net over and over and over until the hot goalie goes cold. If we had a Hornqvist or Brown type guy it would be very doable.

Crashing the net doesn't solve neutral zone traps.

Halpysback*

Crashing the net doesn't solve neutral zone traps.

Enter the neutral zone with team speed, once the trap is trapping dump it in with 3 forecheckers going full speed a trailing D up high.

Practice having the team do forechecking schemes where they go from the defensive zone until the goal line without stopping at the opponent's blue line.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Enter the neutral zone with team speed, once the trap is trapping dump it in with 3 forecheckers going full speed a trailing D up high.

Practice having the team do forechecking schemes where they go from the defensive zone until the goal line without stopping at the opponent's blue line.

Yes I've talked about getting it deep and hitting the line with speed and focus on the off-wing defender's position for the dump before when dealing with any kind of stacking at the blueline. That's not the same as crashing the net, though, or a full neutral zone trap or one with some mild forechecking.

If you're pinned in your own zone or getting stood up before reaching center you have to stretch the defense vertically to get into position to dump in the first place, which creates the possibility of crashing the net eventually.

Point being, adjustments can be made and Trotz will understand the weaknesses, imo.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The only way to beat a trap team is to dump the puck and then beat them at the game allowed. It mean winning 2-1 1-0. You dont get to play your game. Caps need to finish when they get the chance.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Honestly I don't agree with those of you who say we played like crap. We were the much better team, just had a bit of bad luck and couldn't finish the chances (that we were creating at will).
It looked like the guys took the Panthers lightly (as did I) with all those half-assed breakout backhands through the middle and astonishing lack of awareness.
Refs were under something as well.

Hopefully Wilson joins the team soon and Kuznetsov gets promoted... as Johansson looks 500x more confident this year.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Very much so and I like Bjugstad. Florida or wherever they are in a few years will be scary.

Not if Tallon is the GM. He spends money like a drunken sailor when UFAs hit the market. He will leave little room to sign his young emerging players.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Not if Tallon is the GM. He spends money like a drunken sailor when UFAs hit the market. He will leave little room to sign his young emerging players.
Look again (or probably, look a first time). They have 15 players under contract for next year and almost $25M in projected cap space. The two key RFAs that year are Bjustad and Huberdeau. The next year they only have 6 players under contract and a projected $48M in cap space. It looks like he's set them up pretty well in regards to retaining flexibility to signing their young players.

I think when(if?) Florida starts to look like they are righting the ship, they won't have to overpay vets to play for them. Warm weather, no state income tax, and joining a team on the rise are probably pretty good selling points.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Look again (or probably, look a first time). They have 15 players under contract for next year and almost $25M in projected cap space. The two key RFAs that year are Bjustad and Huberdeau. The next year they only have 6 players under contract and a projected $48M in cap space. It looks like he's set them up pretty well in regards to retaining flexibility to signing their young players.

I think when(if?) Florida starts to look like they are righting the ship, they won't have to overpay vets to play for them. Warm weather, no state income tax, and joining a team on the rise are probably pretty good selling points.

Why don't you look at Tallon's track record over his tenure as both Hawks and Panthers GM?

He's handed out some hideous contracts and will continue to do so.

Remember he wanted to trade us Buff+ for Nylander and ownership nixed that deal.

He's the one who forgot to submit forms in time leading to them having to trade Ladd and Versteeg. (or maybe Buff..there were two players he messed up on that lead to his firing)

Huet contract. Awful.

Flash for $4.5 mil? Bolland for $5 mil? Trades for Luongo and Campbell. He sure likes his ex hawks. Upshall contract doesn't even look good.

He will squander the cap space guaranteed.

He is not a great GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->