DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Marv Edwards

Cp5UchtWIAABFaL.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Marv Edwards...

Loved Marvelous Marv.... Dixie Flyer for quite some time starting around 62 or so through 67 at least. Guy who really got around even in Junior (lent to another club for their Memorial Cup run & so on)..... but that mask..... never seen it nor anything similar before, no idea who the maker might be. Certainly very early given the era, years. I was thinking maybe a Lefty Wilson with the holes added later on however the overall shape of its a bit off for it to be a Wilson..... Any ideas?

Also.... according to "Mask Lore", Cheevers was the first to put anything on his mask with the stitches, Doug Favell while with the Flyers either painting the thing orange himself or done by teammates as a prank at Halloween but regardless... both wrong. The 1st I believe was Jim Rutherford while in Junior, either 67/68 or 68/69 and dreamed up by Jimmys Coach Eddie Bush (Hamilton Red Wings).... who thought it would be a good idea to have Rutherfords head blending in with the Cross Bar's, Goalposts & teams uniforms colors of primarily red.

Jim at 5'8" just about the ideal height for just such a trick of the eye that could well fool shooters.... done to a Lefty Wilson mask however not long after Jim, who had met mask maker Greg Harrison at the Orr Walton Sports Camp where both were spending the summer (Greg a decent Goalie himself, played University level) and just starting out making masks..... convinced Jim to let him make one for him which he then began to use, painted blue when traded from Detroit to the Penguins, back to white with the Winged logo when traded back to Motown & so on & so forth.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Loved Marvelous Marv.... Dixie Flyer for quite some time starting around 62 or so through 67 at least. Guy who really got around even in Junior (lent to another club for their Memorial Cup run & so on)..... but that mask..... never seen it nor anything similar before, no idea who the maker might be. Certainly very early given the era, years. I was thinking maybe a Lefty Wilson with the holes added later on however the overall shape of its a bit off for it to be a Wilson..... Any ideas?

Killion, I tried to find out more about Marv Edward's mask but really couldn't find anything to confirm it's creator. I do agree with you that it could be a Lefty Wilson since you know a lot more about goalie masks than I do.

What I do find interesting about the goalie himself was that outside of the one NHL game he played in 1968-69, the first legitimate NHL season for him was the following year in 1969-70 with Toronto when he played 25 games. It's odd to think that he was 34 years of age at the time. In this day and age you wouldn't expect a goalie to have his first NHL season at such a late age. However, in the pre-expansion era, it was extremely tough for goalies to crack an NHL lineup due to the limited number of teams so it wasn't surprising for goalies to be a little older before getting an opportunity to play in the NHL.

:jets

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Killion, I tried to find out more about Marv Edward's mask but really couldn't find anything to confirm it's creator. I do agree with you that it could be a Lefty Wilson since you know a lot more about goalie masks than I do.

What I do find interesting about the goalie himself was that outside of the one NHL game he played in 1968-69, the first legitimate NHL season for him was the following year in 1969-70 with Toronto when he played 25 games. It's odd to think that he was 34 years of age at the time. In this day and age you wouldn't expect a goalie to have his first NHL season at such a late age. However, in the pre-expansion era, it was extremely tough for goalies to crack an NHL lineup due to the limited number of teams so it wasn't surprising for goalies to be a little older before getting an opportunity to play in the NHL.

Yes, I remember watching Marv quite closely & was impressed as he was extremely solid & best way to describe it; "Workman Like". Had his angles dialed right in, no histrionics or sensationalism required as he wasnt caught out of position & left the shooters very little to shoot at, efficiency of movement & "quiet" though for sure with an acrobatic flair as he was only 5'8" and all of 155lbs or so.... cool under pressure, steadying influence back there.... Lots of talent, depth in the crease in the Minors all through the 50's & 60's, guys more than NHL capable however with only 6 jobs available....

This guy's mainly bus miles might even put Stompin Tom Connors circa 66 tour schedule bangin out Hank Snows' "I Been Everywhere Man" to shame as he spent 18 years from Junior (St Catherines Tee Pee's in 1950) through multiple minor-pro leagues before getting his 1st NHL Start with Pittsburgh... and along the way picked up a lot of Silverware as both Team & Playoff MVP, Goalie of the Year Awards, All Star selections, won everything from Memorial Cups to you name it. Following his stint with the Leafs spent a couple of yrs in the WHL (Phoenix Roadrunners) before signing with the Seals where he played for a couple of years, hanging them up at like 38 or so.

As for Marvs mask there, ya, I tried all searches I could think of as well and nothing. Can tell you that Marv was extremely popular with the fans in Nashville during his time there, holding "Marv Edwards Appreciation Nights", whole 9 yards and who knows.... maybe Stompin Tom was in town... playin at the Blue Bird or maybe just Busking.... be just like him.... Marv & Tom, Brudders from different Mudders pretty much what I figure.....

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

.... oh, and forgot to mention another possibility with respect to the origins of Marvs' mask there DB..... as it does slightly resemble the mask made & worn by long time Minor Pro Goalie Glenn Ramsay who did make his own mask & I'm pretty darn sure did make some for others in the early through mid 60's. Glenn played (Jr & Pro frm 53/74) mainly in the IHL with various iterations of the Toledo franchise (Mercurys, Blades & Hornets), voted Best Goalie All Time in that Leagues 50yr history.

In 59/60 Marv Edwards played in the IHL briefly with Minneapolis while Glenn was playing for St.Pauls so there is some direct geo & league connection there, Marv then moving on to the EHL and as it truly is "a small world" entirely possible Glenn made a mask for Marv as seen in the photo above. The holes likely drilled in later after delivery as Marv was finding it rather hot to be wearing as of course fiberglass doesnt breathe. The shape of the eyes are very very similar to Glenns as are a couple of other features....

More here on Glenn Ramsay.... www.toledowalleye.com/toledo-hockey-hall-of-fame/glenn-ramsay

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
.... oh, and forgot to mention another possibility with respect to the origins of Marvs' mask there DB..... as it does slightly resemble the mask made & worn by long time Minor Pro Goalie Glenn Ramsay who did make his own mask & I'm pretty darn sure did make some for others in the early through mid 60's. Glenn played (Jr & Pro frm 53/74) mainly in the IHL with various iterations of the Toledo franchise (Mercurys, Blades & Hornets), voted Best Goalie All Time in that Leagues 50yr history.

In 59/60 Marv Edwards played in the IHL briefly with Minneapolis while Glenn was playing for St.Pauls so there is some direct geo & league connection there, Marv then moving on to the EHL and as it truly is "a small world" entirely possible Glenn made a mask for Marv as seen in the photo above. The holes likely drilled in later after delivery as Marv was finding it rather hot to be wearing as of course fiberglass doesnt breathe. The shape of the eyes are very very similar to Glenns as are a couple of other features....

More here on Glenn Ramsay.... www.toledowalleye.com/toledo-hockey-hall-of-fame/glenn-ramsay

Killion, thanks for the link for Glenn Ramsay. He indeed did have quite the career in the IHL. His 6 James Norris Memorial Trophy awards is also an impressive achievement. I do feel bad that he never had the opportunity to play even one game in the NHL. It would have been nice to have had the experience at least one time. Nevertheless, he had lots to be proud of during his career.
In regards to the mask, it certainly does sound probable that Marv's was made by Glenn based on their shared connections. What a coincidence that both of them were born in the same year (1935). The goalie masks of that era in which they played were sure crude looking. Quite the dramatic shift occurred in the 1970s mainly with the 'Jacques Plante' style mask. Either way, the goalie masks and the stories behind them are always interesting.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Killion, thanks for the link for Glenn Ramsay. He indeed did have quite the career in the IHL. His 6 James Norris Memorial Trophy awards is also an impressive achievement. I do feel bad that he never had the opportunity to play even one game in the NHL. It would have been nice to have had the experience at least one time. Nevertheless, he had lots to be proud of during his career.
In regards to the mask, it certainly does sound probable that Marv's was made by Glenn based on their shared connections. What a coincidence that both of them were born in the same year (1935). The goalie masks of that era in which they played were sure crude looking. Quite the dramatic shift occurred in the 1970s mainly with the 'Jacques Plante' style mask. Either way, the goalie masks and the stories behind them are always interesting.

More here on Ramsay & the IHL Cincinnati Mohawks; www.nitzyshockeyden.com/2010/04/french-goalies-of-cincinnati.html ... a farm club of the Habs which will give you some perspective (excluding Jr, Intermediate & Senior & there too, young up and comers & older guys, all quality) as to the depths in the crease that that organization alone had available to them, though Ramsay a little unusual as he'd not come up through the Montreal system & his tenure with that club short as a result. But yes, loads of depth in the IHL, AHL, QSHL, WHL, EHL, CHL & Senior.... Cincinnati Gardens also interesting as its an exact replica of Maple Leaf Gardens before it was seriously renovated, built to the same building plans, many of the same personnel involved etc.

(Note; Links not working, look it up on-line or MOD?... fix please...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor No

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
More here on Ramsay & the IHL Cincinnati Mohawks; www.nitzyshockeyden.com/2010/04/french-goalies-of-cincinnati.html ... a farm club of the Habs which will give you some perspective (excluding Jr, Intermediate & Senior & there too, young up and comers & older guys, all quality) as to the depths in the crease that that organization alone had available to them, though Ramsay a little unusual as he'd not come up through the Montreal system & his tenure with that club short as a result. But yes, loads of depth in the IHL, AHL, QSHL, WHL, EHL, CHL & Senior.... Cincinnati Gardens also interesting as its an exact replica of Maple Leaf Gardens before it was seriously renovated, built to the same building plans, many of the same personnel involved etc.

(Note; Links not working, look it up on-line or MOD?... fix please...)

Unfortunately the link was still not working at the time I checked it.
That's an interesting tidbit about the Cincinnati Gardens. I didn't know that it was a replica of Maple Leaf Gardens. Was it the same size or a smaller version?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Unfortunately the link was still not working at the time I checked it.
That's an interesting tidbit about the Cincinnati Gardens. I didn't know that it was a replica of Maple Leaf Gardens. Was it the same size or a smaller version?

Yes, same size. I believe it was demolished just this past March.... Opened in 1949.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Bump.

This is the face of truth.

.... ok..... and.... the face of a guy who in many ways revolutionized the way the position was played with his what was then super-low & aggressive crouch which resulted in far greater exposure & susceptibility to errant sticks & pucks.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
.... ok..... and.... the face of a guy who in many ways revolutionized the way the position was played with his what was then super-low & aggressive crouch which resulted in far greater exposure & susceptibility to errant sticks & pucks.
"Errant" lol Back then that shit was on purpose half the time and all the ol legends will be like "yeah, and" game and people were very different then.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
This thread is about the maturation of goalie masks over the decades....how did stick fights make here? :laugh:
Well- someone posted a pic of Sawchuk, I reposted it. Then someone quoted my post adding that Sawchuks low crouch style allowed for "errant" sticks. I then added to that with the 'sometimes its on purpose' and 'because stick fighting was a thing then'

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Those guys used to have stick fights and it was normal.

True enough.. however if you wanna "stick fight" you dont go picking a "stick fight" with a Goalie unless certifiable. Like showing up with a knife at a gunfight given the size of the paddle, heft & weight of a goalie stick..... and never mind a Ron Hextall or Billy Smith... the Granddaddy, the absolute "Baddest Bad Ass of them All" was long time Quebec Bulldogs Goalie Paddy Moran, playing Sr & Pro from roughly 1901/1917....

At 5'11" actually fairly big for the era, original "Stand-Up" as back then you werent allowed to drop to your knees... wearing a hugely over-sized "jersey" (which was actually a cardigan that he left unbuttoned & used to snare shots with, against the rules of course)... a great skater who would clear not just his crease but pretty much the entire slot area & corners, spitting filthy gobs of rancid chewing tobacco into the faces of his opponents while roaming wildly, wielding his stick like a Battle Axe no doubt reliving one of his past lives as a Mercenary at Culloden... Viking Berserker on hallucinogens let loose from his cage, off leash at York or whatever....

That era, into the 20's & 30's, thats when hockey at the pro level was truly rough & tough. These Pretty Boys of the late 40's, 50's, 60's & 70's.... never really did or could live up to the early 20th Century Game and frankly who'd want to? Talk about Blood Sport. If that aspect had been amp'd up, murders, maimings, mind reels....

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, same size. I believe it was demolished just this past March.... Opened in 1949.

A little sad to hear it was demolished. If the old building could talk......
I see that it had 2 tenants as late as 2016 - Cincinnati Rollergirls (WFTDA) from 2006-16 and Cincinnati Thunder (NA3HL) for the 2015-16 season.
It's a shame to see these old buildings come down as they hold a lot of memories for so many people. At the NHL level, who could forget the Olympia in Detroit, Chicago Stadium, Boston Garden, The Forum in Montreal and of course the cathedral of hockey - Maple Leaf Gardens. None of them could really hold a candle to the arenas of today in regards to amenities and such but each of those buildings had their unique quirks and characteristics that made them special in their own way.
I guess it's like the old family car, nothing really significant its features or design per se but rather the memories it carried along the way over time from one destination to another....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad