Cat to the table: Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah it sure does but matthews faced lower competition that season too (especially first 30 games or so) sounds familiar?

But yeah i agree matthews is better in many areas still
didn't laine face lower competition as well? he was a rookie so throwing him in to the fire wouldn't be a good idea. if laine becomes an all around great player like matthews has the potential to become that laine would be better

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Laine is a better goal scorer, your correct. But technically Laine does have lesser high quality shots agaisnt on the ice so I think your over selling Matthews Defence. Being bad on the Power Play isn’t something to brag about, it’s concerning.
matthews gets 2 minutes of ice time on the pp per game which ranks really low compared to the players that he is slightly below in terms of talent, where as nearly half of laine's points are on the pp (27 of 64).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
matthews gets 2 minutes of ice time on the pp per game which ranks really low compared to the players that he is slightly below in terms of talent, where as nearly half of laine's points are on the pp (27 of 64).
Out of Laine's 41 goals 2.27% of them are on the power play when you factor in the 18 he scored playing 5v4 or 5v3.

When it comes to Laine's 64 total points 2.37% of them are from the power play since he has 27 points with the man advantage.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

Yes Laine is one of the main reason we currently have the second best power play in the league. Pretty awesome talent if you ask me.

Lovedemfanboys

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any Leafs fans saying this is what Matthews goals would be if he was not injured. They have just pointed out that Laine is scoring all these goals while Matthews has been injured and pointed out Matthews stats at the time of his injury.

Last season Jets fans said without a doubt if Laine was not injured he would have scored 40 goals or more and won the Calder, when there is no guarantee Laine scores a goal in those games he did not play in. They were rewarding him with fictional goals that never happened.

Mate, I'm not trying to be rude or anything but you seem to have serious case of selective reading. Main boards are flooded with Matthews' gpg posts.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Out of Laine's 41 goals 2.27% of them are on the power play when you factor in the 18 he scored playing 5v4 or 5v3.

When it comes to Laine's 64 total points 2.37% of them are from the power play since he has 27 points with the man advantage.
you're percentages seem weird unless i'm missing something

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
didn't laine face lower competition as well? he was a rookie so throwing him in to the fire wouldn't be a good idea. if laine becomes an all around great player like matthews has the potential to become that laine would be better
I edited my post because i realized you might understand. But laine actually faced tougher competition for most of the season as the jets didnt have much of a choice with all the injuries...

Laine will likely never be considered as rounded as matthews and thats fine. He is a winger so his role is smaller in his own zone. He is usuallt the one responsible for getting the puck out of his own zone already so thats enough for me personally.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yes Laine is one of the main reason we currently have the second best power play in the league. Pretty awesome talent if you ask me.
great talent indeed. whats even better is the irony in that laine only has 23 goals at es when he's played many more games than matthews, who has more es goals (26) in fewer games. hmmmmmmm...........

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I calculated the number of Laine's 5v5 goals to the number of his power play goals and did the same thing with his 5v5 points compared to his power play points.
2.27% of 41 isent event 1 goal
..im dont understand?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
These double standards are hilarious. I love how no one mentions points in these threads but when comparing Aho and Marner points are all that matter.

I would say too close to call. Saying AINEC is idiotic as these players have shown that they're as close to each other as possible.

Except that in the Aho/Marner thread my argument included more than just points. So no, there is no double standard.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
great talent indeed. whats even better is the irony in that laine only has 23 goals at es when he's played many more games than matthews, who has more es goals (26) in fewer games. hmmmmmmm...........

tell me more about goal totals...think Laine is already above 40 this season or something........hmmmmmm............ :D

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I edited my post because i realized you might understand. But laine actually faced tougher competition for most of the season as the jets didnt have much of a choice with all the injuries...

Laine will likely never be considered as rounded as matthews and thats fine. He is a winger so his role is smaller in his own zone. He is usuallt the one responsible for getting the puck out of his own zone already so thats enough for me personally.
yah the injuries to scheiffle (3 games), little (23 games), perrault (17 games), copp (18 games) really made laine face tougher competition/s

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Things are going better for both franchises than they have in years, yet people are still entrenched in this battle.

Go enjoy life, it won't always be like this, as I'm sure you all know.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I divided Laine's 41 current goal total to the #18 which is Laine's power play goals and that's how I got that number.
Ah thats why it doesnt make sense.

To get the percentage of how many of his goals are on the pp you divide his powerplay goals with his total goals

18/41= 43% or whatever it is.

Dividing his total goals by his powrplay goals you get how a ratio of how much more goals he has than 18 or in other words how much goals he has in percentage over 18...so 227.7777etc % or 2.27 times as many goals...

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
yah the injuries to scheiffle (3 games), little (23 games), perrault (17 games), copp (18 games) really made laine face tougher competition/s
As i said not the entire season...they were missing little (2c) to start the season while laine played with scheifele...who do you think teams focused on?

I posted pretty intesively on this in some threads trust me laine faced on average slightly tougher competition than matthews especially the first 30 games then it evened out over the later parts of the season but still laine with the tougher matchups

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
As i said not the entire season...they were missing little (2c) to start the season while laine played with scheifele...who do you think teams focused on?

I posted pretty intesively on this in some threads trust me laine faced on average slightly tougher competition than matthews especially the first 30 games then it evened out over the later parts of the season but still laine with the tougher matchups
i trust you. you are a calm poster. you know your stuff.

Reactions: Narow

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
i trust you. you are a calm poster. you know your stuff.
Besides the difference wasent huge or anything...

What amuses me is how similar these players production is that we all fight over decimals to prove a point. Its a luxury i doubt we will have any time soon again so enjoy while it lasts.

Thats said matthews gf% this season has been utterly disgusting something like close to 70%??. I think he also is at +23 or something like that in plus/minis. Just insane how effective he is 5v5

Reactions: AnishLoomba

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides the difference wasent huge or anything...

What amuses me is how similar these players production is that we all fight over decimals to prove a point. Its a luxury i doubt we will have any time soon again so enjoy while it lasts.

Thats said matthews gf% this season has been utterly disgusting. I think he is at +23 or something like that. Just insane how effective he is 5v5
You are correct that Matthews is currently +23 and to put it in perspective in his rookie season he was only a +2. Now once he returns to the lineup his +/- will change when he scores more 5v5 goals and hope he's not on for any goals against. However right now it's a 21 point difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->