Cat to the table: Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You don’t know what your talking about, the arguments were ongoing and stretch back to before the draft from the international and prospect boards. I was in all of them (unfortunately) and never saw you post until near the end of last season on the Main boards, and when you did you came with a lot of bias and conspiracy theory that the media was going to keep Laine from winning the Calder. Any Leafs/Jets **** talking came with you, and posters like you, prior to that it was Finnish Laine fans and some Leafs fans slinging mud about the players.

So yeah, you are the **** talker, you just got a little back as a result.

He has more goals because Matthews is injured. Prior to that he had 28 in 60 games, while Matthews had 28 in only 53. Matthews doesn’t get injured and he might still be leading. He isn’t though, but to chest-thump over Laine pulling ahead because of Auston’s injury is all kinds of derpy.

nope. I'm just gonna say you're wrong and mistaking me for somebody else cuz I didn't say any of that and was part of convo the whole season

I actually posted less near the ending of the season after I conceded Matthews should win the Calder since laine slowed down and Matthews didn't

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You don’t know what your talking about, the arguments were ongoing and stretch back to before the draft from the international and prospect boards. I was in all of them (unfortunately) and never saw you post until near the end of last season on the Main boards, and when you did you came with a lot of bias and conspiracy theory that the media was going to keep Laine from winning the Calder. Any Leafs/Jets **** talking came with you, and posters like you, prior to that it was Finnish Laine fans and some Leafs fans slinging mud about the players.

So yeah, you are the **** talker, you just got a little back as a result.

He has more goals because Matthews is injured. Prior to that he had 28 in 60 games, while Matthews had 28 in only 53. Matthews doesn’t get injured and he might still be leading. He isn’t though, but to chest-thump over Laine pulling ahead because of Auston’s injury is all kinds of derpy.
Prior to Matthews most recent injury when he had already missed 10 games this season, at one point he was leading Laine in total goals scored.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
And so does Laine. He is very strong player with 196 cm size and makes his teammates better with his goalscoring abilities. We can act like Matthews is much better elite playmaker but that's not true at all. Matthews is elite center scoring first center but Laine will be best goalscorer ever seen on history and goalscoring is most important part of the game.

You think Laine will be the best goal scoring ever? Better than Gretzky, Lemieux, both Hulls, Esposito, Ovechkin, etc? I have to ask, how old are you?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Prior to Matthews most recent injury when he had already missed 10 games this season, at one point he was leading Laine in total goals scored.

yeah but laine also has a better gpg

I'm not saying Matthews couldn't heat up either, but laine is no scoring at a higher rate than Matthews. it's not just that he's played more games

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've read enough since the jets have been back

u really think the jets fans were acting smug and cocky this whole time when they weren't making the playoffs?

I think you're making generalisations again.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
Matthews.. Laine snipes but AM had 40 goals last season and was on pace for over 40 this year, while playing with lesser players and a harder position..

Reactions: TimeZone

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
yeah but laine also has a better gpg

I'm not saying Matthews couldn't heat up either, but laine is no scoring at a higher rate than Matthews. it's not just that he's played more games
Who cares what Laine's GPG was for this season. It's a true fact that at one point Matthews was ahead of Laine for total goals and that was after Matthews previously missed 10 games. I was just making a point about that and nothing more.

Kresnik

Mar 14, 2011
Sweden
Laine is almost a year younger, but they are both very talented and they are very different so it's hard to pick. Laine is probably the most gifted goalscorer we have seen since Ovechkin so i will go for him.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Doesn’t look like that’s possible. Laine basically has the same PPG in 18 more games and has a much higher GPG.

Sorry but Laines better.
don't apologize even though you're wrong. matthews is a better player than laine and its not debatable. laine is a better goal scorer but matthews is better defensively and a better playmaker. also his production rarely occurs on the pp

Lovedemfanboys

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it's possible to stop with what Laine's stats might have been if he was not injured in his rookie season? I understand why you mention them, however they are nothing more than fictional and there is still no guarantee Laine would have scored in all the games he missed.

He has more goals because Matthews is injured. Prior to that he had 28 in 60 games, while Matthews had 28 in only 53. Matthews doesn’t get injured and he might still be leading.

These double standards are hilarious. I love how no one mentions points in these threads but when comparing Aho and Marner points are all that matter.

I would say too close to call. Saying AINEC is idiotic as these players have shown that they're as close to each other as possible.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Laine is more unique player but Matthews is the better player. I would pick Matthews over every player not named McDavid at this point. Laine can end up as better player but right now Matthews.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Matthews.. Laine snipes but AM had 40 goals last season and was on pace for over 40 this year, while playing with lesser players and a harder position..
Fun fact...the exact totals matthews has now ie 28 goals 50 points in 53 games is the exact same laine had as a rookie thru 53 games ^^

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Matthews does so much more then Laine. Matthews is the better player that plays tougher competition in a tougher position. But I would just like to point out that when Matthews was not injured and out performing Laine leaf fans were respectful and didn't bring up any comparisons. I guess we can't expect the same from the other side.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Andersen has been outstanding! he has played 2 less games than he had in Anaheim and has faced over 600+ more shots while playing in Toronto.
Craziness.
Ive said it all year, he is the reason the leafs are where they are. they leave him hung out to dry so much like the habs did with price

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
don't apologize even though you're wrong. matthews is a better player than laine and its not debatable. laine is a better goal scorer but matthews is better defensively and a better playmaker. also his production rarely occurs on the pp

I think its a valid opinion to have but pretending anything is set in stone and closing off any debate around it is not the way to go...

Matthews is producing like rookie laine currently how can it not be debated?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think its a valid opinion to have but pretending anything is set in stone and closing off any debate around it is not the way to go...

Matthews is producing like rookie laine currently how can it not be debated?
because laine hasn't shown that he is better than matthews in anything else other than goal scoring. also laine had a much better supporting cast than matthews when he was a rookie which helps a little bit

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
These double standards are hilarious. I love how no one mentions points in these threads but when comparing Aho and Marner points are all that matter.

I would say too close to call. Saying AINEC is idiotic as these players have shown that they're as close to each other as possible.
I don't see any Leafs fans saying this is what Matthews goals would be if he was not injured. They have just pointed out that Laine is scoring all these goals while Matthews has been injured and pointed out Matthews stats at the time of his injury.

Last season Jets fans said without a doubt if Laine was not injured he would have scored 40 goals or more and won the Calder, when there is no guarantee Laine scores a goal in those games he did not play in. They were rewarding him with fictional goals that never happened.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
because laine hasn't shown that he is better than matthews in anything else other than goal scoring. also laine had a much better supporting cast than matthews when he was a rookie which helps a little bit
Yeah it sure does but matthews faced lower competition that season too (especially first 30 games or so) sounds familiar? (Like laine this season)

But yeah i agree matthews is better in many areas still

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Laine is a better goal scorer, your correct. But technically Laine does have lesser high quality shots agaisnt on the ice so I think your over selling Matthews Defence. Being bad on the Power Play isn’t something to brag about, it’s concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad