Cat to the table: Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Seems to be like every single Laine/Matthews thread leads to war so it's correct time to step up and offer solution. Constructive discussion so we can find out which one people prefers here in HfBoards.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Higher draft pedigree. Higher pick (which was mostly general consensus at the time around NHL). Better position

Both are off to terrific starts. This debate won't be settled in year 1 or 2 of their career based on whose hot at the time.

Give it 2 more years or so to see who distances who. Until then it'll be Matthews for reasons in paragraph 1.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They score roughly the same with Matthews in a worse PP situation and having a larger impact on other facets of the game. Matthews is clearly better now. We'll see what happens going forward.

Reactions: Rob Brown

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
There was until Laine got hot and Matthews got injured.
Higher draft pedigree. Higher pick (which was mostly general consensus at the time around NHL). Better position

Both are off to terrific starts. This debate won't be settled in year 1 or 2 of their career based on whose hot at the time.

Give it 2 more years or so to see who distances who. Until then it'll be Matthews for reasons in paragraph 1.
Draft pedigree AND general consensus 2 yrs ago means nothing compared to what a player is doing now/today.IMO Laine has pulled ahead and till Matthews can step it up on the ice it's Laine.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Haha i love that expression, cat to the table.

Anyways...matthews been out injured and laine has been killing it...great timing lol.

This is like the time laine was injured and matthews had just passed him in scoring and they conducted a poll on who should win the calder.

Ask again after next season...

They are too even even this far into their career.

Matthews seem to give you a bit more support on the backend while laine does it in the ozone. Both are excellent offensively and good too very good in own zone (laine has had some consistency issues on american style defense but he is progressing nicely)...

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Haha i love that expression, cat to the table.

Anyways...matthews been out injured and laine has been killing it...great timing lol.

This is like the time laine was injured and matthews had just passed him in scoring and they conducted a poll on who should win the calder.

Ask again after next season...

They are too even even this far into their career.

Matthews seem to give you a bit more support on the backend while laine does it in the ozone. Both are excellent offensively and good too very good in own zone...
A bit more? That's like saying Bill Gates has a bit more money than me.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
A bit more? That's like saying Bill Gates has a bit more money than me.

You must be pretty wealthy then... Laine is actually pretty good defensively, still lots of room for improvement but he is winning boardbattles and is playing the body while almost always being the one responsible to get the puck out of own zone lately. He has been inconsistent but seems to be finding his groove. Not sure how much you have seen from him but already in his rookie season he made tons of excellent plays. Granted there was some huge gaffs and minor misstakes too which is to be expected.

Matthews is better in this regard from my viewings but i have also seen him do some big misstakes but andersen always seem to stop it from showing on the scoreboard. Matthews is better at stick checking, boardbattles and skating out of his zone while laine is better at outlet passes and playing the body. Obviously matthews being a center he has more responsibilitties so my comparison is in relation to their position. Matthews is still far from a bergeron/kopitar/barkov type of defensive center. I do believe he may very well get there tho or atleast close.

So in short i think you are exaggerating. (Unless you are extemely wealthy)

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Obviously I voted for Matthews because in the end it's a lot better to have him since he's an elite #1 centre and those are harder to get in the NHL.
This shouldnt be an argument for why Matthews is better. There are other reasons than his position.

So what since Matthews is a center he is worth more than Ovechkin if they were both 20?

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Obviously Laine is better right now, red hot and Matthews injured.
But can't really vote who's better, I think we have to wait atleast one more season. At the moment they have 0.02 career PPG difference.
Laine isn't Ovechkin at age 20.
Yeah, he's still just 19 :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad