Cash problems for Wlid?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
We expect a bit of levity and creativity from Killion. You know things are getting interesting in the NHL when kdb waxes poetic.

Waxing poetic - nope, my poetic is two parts rust and one part bondo.

That bit was shamelessly stolen lovingly borrowed from George Carlin's Wonderful WINO.

Plagiarize,
Let no one else's work evade your eyes,
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes,
So don't shade your eyes,
But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize -
Only be sure always to call it please 'research'.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Wow, three teams in Winnipeg. We might have to turn away some Justin Bieber concerts.

It's been reported that he is going bald, you know.

Rich, bald Canadian with the initials JB - hmm.

Justin Bieber is really ...

jim-balsillie.jpg

GSC2k2*

ESPN Insider subscription required to view link.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors/_/date/20110429#6425

"Mike Ozanian of Forbes reports the Minnesota Wild are short on cash. According to majority owner Craig Leipold, falling short of a berth in the playoffs results in a financial deficit for the 2010-11 season. And there are further complications than a simple loss of money.

Another potential problem for Leipold is the team's general partner and minority owner billionaire Philip Falcone, whose Harbinger Capital hedge fund is facing two SEC investigations. Although Falcone is obviously quite wealthy, his business fortunes have diminished greatly over the past year or so. Our figures show that the Wild post a loss of $2.3 million before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization for the 2009-10 season, when they also missed the Stanley Cup tournament. Given the Wild?s attendance dipped a bit in 2010-11 from the prior season it is safe to say they again lost money.

This means the unless the Wild hit the banks up for a loan the team will likely be making capital calls to owners for cash. The SEC investigation coupled with the relatively poorer performance of Falcone's investments could make it more difficult for Leipold to get cash from his partner.

Under pressure to reach the playoffs - at the very least - next season, general manager Chuck Fletcher was expected to make a splash once the free agent market opened up this summer. This financial news won't help Fletcher's ability to sign the players he covets, at the very least.

- Victoria Matiash
"

I will comment that this is from the "Rumors" section of ESPN's NHL page, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Did not figure the Wild to be in this kind of trouble.
"...this kind of trouble"?

Exactly what kind of trouble is that?

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Did Leipold ever get his $10 million back from Bootsy? Hard to feel too sorry for him having money problems now.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
This sounds like big trouble for the wlid - they arent guaranteed a profit this year. I mean just because they didnt do a good job running their business is no reason to lose money. Just because teams set up their books to lose money unless they make the 2nd round of the playoffs is no reason that any team should actually lose money.

Where would the cash calls be made to? Do NHL owners actually cover their losses by writing a cheque? Or do they loan the team money at high rates which makes them lose even more money the next year before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. What is the team amortizing btw, hopefully not the arena? So the problem here is that because his partner is just another in a long line of nhl owners under fraud investigations, he cant lend the money to cover the loses they expected?

I wonder if there is any news on how much the franchise value likely depreciated during these times of cash losses?

But the whole idea of talking about the annual profits and losses of the Team portion of a sports and entertainment conglomerate as being important or indicative of anything seems highly suspect journalism to me.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
But the whole idea of talking about the annual profits and losses of the Team portion of a sports and entertainment conglomerate as being important or indicative of anything seems highly suspect journalism to me.

The "cash call" would be sent by Leipold to Falcone. The other 29 (28 actually, Phx=NHL) teams are not lending money to one another (beyond the normal revenue sharing mechanisms which are not loans but subsidies). And yes, I agree with your assertion; separating the team from the entirety of a sports & entertainment conglomerate & claiming losses (Wirtz Sr. for eg) is disingenuous, though a fairly common practice as we know not only here with NHL teams, but so too in the NBA, MLB & to a lesser extent the NFL.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Nashville reminds me a lot of Ottawa, and it looks to be following much the same path Ottawa did. I recognize many of the talking points and progressions.
---

For sure i didnt mean to suggest the owners would lend to each other, although even if they did, and i think they do, i wouldnt bother me that much.

I was more thinking that if i owned the Sens, and the team portion of the sports and entertainment conglomerate lost money on the books that year, i wouldnt write a cheque out of my bank account and cover it, i'd lend them the money. That would be one of the great beenfits of having this great cash flow business, even when its having alleged cash flow problems.

But during the last lockout the league represented its revenues and expenses as if it were one enterprise and demonstrated its great losses, suggesting that by pegging salaries at a fixed percentage of revenues they would solve their problems. Now if increases in revenue can undo those fixes, surely the solution was not properly thought through.

I might go even further and say that revenue sharing is neither loans nor subsidies, bur rather the required redistributions to keep the system operating optimally. Since, and perhaps counter intuitively for some, the new system guarantees the relocations of unsuccessful franchises rather than protecting them, there should be no stigma in being forced to accept revenue transfers in order to maintain the artificial equilibrium desired.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Can't say that I'm surprised honestly. The team has moved along with merchandise sales being strong and selling out the arena night in and night out. You start to lose games and you start to not make the playoffs for consecutive years, then you better be ready for the fans to jump ship to something else. Unlike many of the other metro areas of the teams, Minnesota has waaaay more options for hockey to keep them occupied when the team is sucking. Instead of a Wild game, you go to the Gopher game or a prep hockey game. Or hell, just go play yourself. No one in any market was to spend close to $200-$300 for a night of watching your team get spanked 8-1 by someone. When people stop going to games, they stop paying for merchandise. It'll just trickle from there. I don't think they are in deep heat to where the team is going to need a bailout from the league or anything because there are more than enough richies in this state that would be more than happy to pick up a piece of ownership, just matters how much of the share Leipold is willing to actually give up, and if there is an actual upside to the team in the near future. Most of us would agree there is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad