Prospect Info: Casey Staum - 124th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
A lot like Mete from what I've read. Smallish, elite skating offensive Dman.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
5th round pick, will become an awesome player.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
We seem to take one of those super long term HS project types every year. Other teams have gotten lucky with them in the recent past, I guess we'll see.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Smaller Max Bennett. We went with the skating. And he hope he finds EVERYTHING ELSE down the road. Good luck.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Scouting report
Staum is a complete defenseman, though we’d call him an offensive-defenseman before a
defensive guy. He loves to carry the puck from behind his own goal through neutral ice into the
attacking zone. While that won’t always work at the next level, he does have the smarts to make
a strong tape-to-tape breakout pass when coverage dictates. He’s an excellent skater with a
smooth stride and moves well in all four directions. Staum utilizes his excellent edge work to
effortlessly maneuver around would-be checkers through the neutral zone. He quarterbacks
a good power play, getting shots through and finding teammates’ sticks for tips and redirects.
While he prefers to rely on his strong stick in the defensive end, Staum does not hesitate to
engage physically. However, he can tend to find trouble by looking to make huge hits, which
takes him out of the play. He sees the ice very well and always has his head up. He has a lanky
frame with plenty of room to add muscle. Staum committed to Nebraska Omaha recently. He
missed over half the season with a broken foot, but returned to lead Hill Murray in the section
playoffs. He returned to high school this year as he was voted captain and wanted to lead the
Pioneers back to the state tournament. That obviously did not happen, but it speaks volumes
of his character and team spirit. Staum is a steadying presence who logs huge minutes on the
back end in all situations.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wouldn't it be smarter to use these late picks on Euros or Junior players vs obscure high schoolers? I mean, who are some examples of guys drafted like Staum making NHL? Instead of trading for Shaw, why not use picks like thesento go after potential bottom 6 pests, or high production junior playerz, or high upside Euros. :dunno:

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Red Line has him the 10th most pure skater of the draft...

10. Casey Staum — His stride is so graceful and fluid it looks like he’s just flowing along on water.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Staum, Casey
LD – Hill Murray (MN-HS) 6’01”, 181
HockeyProspect.com Ranking: NR

Casey is a smooth skating Defenseman who can control the pace of the game with the puck on his stick. His hockey sense is probably just average but he can push the pace with his skating and quick puck moving ability or show good poise to slow things down. Staum can bring a physical element and uses his strong lower body to win battles and force the opponent off the puck. He possesses a good shot and his skating and footwork allows him to find lanes to get pucks to the net. Staum was impressive in the Minnesota Elite League last fall as well as in his games for Hill Murray and finished as a Mr. Hockey Finalist in the State of Minnesota. Casey Staum is committed to Nebraska Omaha but will likely spend next season in the USHL.
Quotable: “Had a bad leg injury. Probably a slam dunk to get drafted prior to the injury,
could be a bit more in doubt now. His skating is high end but he has some other holes in
his game.” NHL Scout (May 2016)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting Nikolas Koberstein vibes from this pick.

Hopefully Staum proves me wrong, develops extraordinarily well and becomes Rafalski 2.0 en route to a near-HHOF career, but he most likely won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->