Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe but I try not to assume what a poster is talking about. I also think role and usage matter to expectations as well. I get frustrated by a lack of understanding of the topic (how our centers are used). It leads to poor framing of discussions.

True that. It would be nice to see the offensive zone starts turn into some finished opportunities for Casey's line. He's been getting inside and pucks have funneled toward the net more. Maybe he's starting to turn it around.

Reactions: joshjull

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Maybe but I try not to assume what a poster is talking about. I also think role and usage matter to expectations as well. I get frustrated by a lack of understanding of the topic (how our centers are used). It leads to poor framing of discussions.

Am I missing how the framing of the original point confuses the discussion? Mitts was expected to be an even strength producer for them. Scoring himself and creating for others. And the role he has been given, as you explained is to do that role with the zone starts he has gotten and the linemates he regularly plays with.

So for people to think he hasn’t lived up to his role seems both obvious and right on point.

Is it that important to equate 2C with the second highest TOI so far? Vs what the poster seemed to mean was expectations to start the year, particularly when the minutes difference is so small? Which is a bit of a speculation on my part.

Do we really think that Mitts wouldn’t have gotten more ice time if he was producing well? I think people would be up in arms if Mitts was on pace for 50-60 points and getting the ice he gets. This Housley would play Sobotka x amount of minutes because that’s how he wants to deploy his lines seems unlikely.

I suspect Housley would love to change his deployment a bit if Mitts was creating opportunity regularly.

I might have misunderstood.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I wonder if Casey is capable of lining up at RW. Would not mind swapping Sam and Casey for 4-5 games to see if Jack and Jeff can get Casey going. And also give Sam one last chance to play center for us long term.
He has played far better then his stat line indicates but regardless he has been a little disappointing so far. Everyone expected far more though he is just a 20 year old rookie. Hopefully Casey turns it on in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I wonder if Casey is capable of lining up at RW. Would not mind swapping Sam and Casey for 4-5 games to see if Jack and Jeff can get Casey going. And also give Sam one last chance to play center for us long term.
He has played far better then his stat line indicates but regardless he has been a little disappointing so far. Everyone expected far more though he is just a 20 year old rookie. Hopefully Casey turns it on in the 2nd half.
Think we should trade him for a 2nd while he still has some value? :sarcasm:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Mitts will be a good, productive player. He won't be that this year though. You can see he is in a bit over his head. That's fine though, he's learning.

Yeah. You could see him growing steadily over the first several weeks of the season. That seems to have tapered off --- which I suspect might be due to hitting a bit of a physical wall. (The difference between an NCAA schedule and an NHL one is huge, and Mitts certainly didn't come into the season at his physical peak.) Hopefully this holiday break lets him get some much-needed rest so he can come out strong and contribute more offensively in the 2nd half. He's gonna be a good player eventually, though. Just a question of how long it takes him to get there.

Reactions: Mit Yarrum

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Am I missing how the framing of the original point confuses the discussion? Mitts was expected to be an even strength producer for them. Scoring himself and creating for others. And the role he has been given, as you explained is to do that role with the zone starts he has gotten and the linemates he regularly plays with.

So for people to think he hasn’t lived up to his role seems both obvious and right on point.

Is it that important to equate 2C with the second highest TOI so far? Vs what the poster seemed to mean was expectations to start the year, particularly when the minutes difference is so small? Which is a bit of a speculation on my part.

Do we really think that Mitts wouldn’t have gotten more ice time if he was producing well? I think people would be up in arms if Mitts was on pace for 50-60 points and getting the ice he gets. This Housley would play Sobotka x amount of minutes because that’s how he wants to deploy his lines seems unlikely.

I suspect Housley would love to change his deployment a bit if Mitts was creating opportunity regularly.

I might have misunderstood.

You did misunderstand because the post I originally quoted was talking about our development strategy for Mitts.

............... I didn’t understand our development strategy with Casey from the start. Maybe if he lit it up in preseason/college I could see playing him as a 2C from the start, but that didn’t happen........... He’s not physically developed, trails behind the play on occasion, and doesn’t have very good linemates.........Anybody have any suggestions to improve his situation? We need a center in a bad way........

In that context minutes played and actual role/usage do matter to the discussion. Which is why I asked in my initial response what the poster meant when saying Mitts was playing the "2C role" from the start. If this was simply about needing more offense from Mitts. I would agree with that as would most posters. But the discussion started with a different focus.

EDIT: I would also add properly understanding the role/usage of each line (and its center) would better inform a discussion of the where's and whys of roster upgrade efforts.

Last edited:

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
That was mainstream comedy 28 years ago.
Meant Casey's milquetoast delivery of something nobody gives a s**t about. If you want something different go to helium and listen to someone on their soapbox go in about social issues while a crowd of millenials watch for triggers. Everything is just so... unfunny.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Remember Mitts becoming a core piece over Reinhart during the summer...

And it still will very well happen. Sam is merely a passenger on the top line. Poms did the same thing earlier in the season. Let us see Sam center a line and produce. Spoiler alert it wont happen because Sam is horrific at face offs, is mediocre at skating and does not drive offense.

And in response to the first line you said remember when people thought Sam would score more goals then Skinner? goes both ways. Sam is the 3rd best forward on his line ainec.

The positive aspect of Mittelstadt is that he is only 20. 2 years ago he was playing HS/USHL hockey. Then college last year. He has the skating, hands and playmaking to be a great 2C. He is a rookie. A year from now let us see how he is doing Xmas 2019. Long term a great skating 2C is far more valuable then a passenger winger.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hey since the brainiacs want Reinhart away from Eichel to see if he can center a line, (trying to prove some stupid point) Let’s see Skinner try to produce as well away from Eichel. That would be a treat. I’d give it a month before some posters want him traded at the deadline or only give him a 2 yr. 5.5 mil. “Prove it” contract.

:biglaugh:

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
And it still will very well happen. Sam is merely a passenger on the top line. Poms did the same thing earlier in the season. Let us see Sam center a line and produce. Spoiler alert it wont happen because Sam is horrific at face offs, is mediocre at skating and does not drive offense.

And in response to the first line you said remember when people thought Sam would score more goals then Skinner? goes both ways. Sam is the 3rd best forward on his line ainec.

The positive aspect of Mittelstadt is that he is only 20. 2 years ago he was playing HS/USHL hockey. Then college last year. He has the skating, hands and playmaking to be a great 2C. He is a rookie. A year from now let us see how he is doing Xmas 2019. Long term a great skating 2C is far more valuable then a passenger winger.
At no comparable point in their careers has Mitts been better. But somehow you're certain it's magically going to happen.

And honestly, if Sam WAS a passenger like you say, that's still better than what Casey has shown.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Hey since the brainiacs want Reinhart away from Eichel to see if he can center a line, (trying to prove some stupid point) Let’s see Skinner try to produce as well away from Eichel. That would be a treat. I’d give it a month before some posters want him traded at the deadline or only give him a 2 yr. 5.5 mil. “Prove it” contract.

:biglaugh:
Can you imagine that the Bruins were stupid enough to sign Pastrnak when he was only playing with Marchand and Bergeron? How stupid of them :sarcasm:

Reactions: gallagt01

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Mittlestadt has been a big disappointment for me largely in part due to my expectations. After seeing the World Jrs and having scouting agencies rank him in the top 5 among NHL prospects with Pettersson, Svechnikov and Dahlin I boarded the hype train too early. I've lost the excitedness of having Mittlestadt, I mean this team is winning with him largely being non existent when on the ice and there are more unknowns in Rochester who might propel this team forward with secondary scoring I get excited about. In saying this, I don't consider him a bust yet and far from it but I don't see him as a center. I think his skillset would be better suited on the wing. I hope I am wrong and he manages to become the future 2C of this team because we desperately need a 2C.
And it still will very well happen. Sam is merely a passenger on the top line.
He's far from a passenger. You and stoaks keep taking L's on this forum over Reinhart. Eventually you would think you would just move on and admit you are wrong about Reinhart and admit he is a quality player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Mittlestadt has been a big disappointment for me largely in part due to my expectations. After seeing the World Jrs and having scouting agencies rank him in the top 5 among NHL prospects with Pettersson, Svechnikov and Dahlin I boarded the hype train too early. I've lost the excitedness of having Mittlestadt, I mean this team is winning with him largely being non existent when on the ice and there are more unknowns in Rochester who might propel this team forward with secondary scoring I get excited about. In saying this, I don't consider him a bust yet and far from it but I don't see him as a center. I think his skillset would be better suited on the wing. I hope I am wrong and he manages to become the future 2C of this team because we desperately need a 2C.
He's far from a passenger. You and stoaks keep taking L's on this forum over Reinhart. Eventually you would think you would just move on and admit you are wrong about Reinhart and admit he is a quality player.

Don't get too down on him - he's still got a lot to like about his skillset, but the evolution is going to take time. It's not the first time we've seen a Sabre prospect dominate at the tournie and take time to deliver. For example Reinhart had a couple of outstanding U20's and he's just starting to dig into that point/game territory now - Mitts has the advantage of being a better skater, but there is time for him to get there. It's just take a moment or more to let them grow.

He's not a bust, he's 18 months from playing HS hockey and he just turned 20. Let him develop.

The only concern is that he's overmatched right now with the responsibilities of being the other offensive center on the team. That's on the staff to work with him to get his game rounded out. In the last few weeks, he's starting to funnel the puck more toward the front of the net rather than peeling to the wall on the stickhandle. That alone will help start to generate points.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My expectation of Mitts this season AS A ROOKIE was to roll with the punches. Don’t look too out of place. Don’t hurt your line. Develop a 200 ft. game. Learn from mistakes. Do what the coaching staff and trainers want you to do.

So far ... for the most part, he’s done that. He’s in a little over his head at the moment, but not terribly. And I’m sure over the summer and into next season, he’ll build off it. Most players do. Especially ones as highly talented as Mitts.

Reactions: Doohickie

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Meant Casey's milquetoast delivery of something nobody gives a s**t about. If you want something different go to helium and listen to someone on their soapbox go in about social issues while a crowd of millenials watch for triggers. Everything is just so... unfunny.

I think looking at a pro sports team gag video for mainstream comedy is probably a poor start.

I’d give Bill Burr a listen. He is one of the best comedians in the game with a hilarious show on Netflix, F is For Family.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
I think looking at a pro sports team gag video for mainstream comedy is probably a poor start.

I’d give Bill Burr a listen. He is one of the best comedians in the game with a hilarious show on Netflix, F is For Family.
Yea Burr was funny before he got married, he's lost it and the same with C.K. Maybe Casey's video means he'll be turning elite soon. Seems every elite player has a few cringe footage tapes to make it to the next level.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Unintentional irony.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Don't get too down on him - he's still got a lot to like about his skillset, but the evolution is going to take time. It's not the first time we've seen a Sabre prospect dominate at the tournie and take time to deliver. For example Reinhart had a couple of outstanding U20's and he's just starting to dig into that point/game territory now - Mitts has the advantage of being a better skater, but there is time for him to get there. It's just take a moment or more to let them grow.

He's not a bust, he's 18 months from playing HS hockey and he just turned 20. Let him develop.

The only concern is that he's overmatched right now with the responsibilities of being the other offensive center on the team. That's on the staff to work with him to get his game rounded out. In the last few weeks, he's starting to funnel the puck more toward the front of the net rather than peeling to the wall on the stickhandle. That alone will help start to generate points.

Hundred percent agree. I think he will turn into a fine player, and most likely an important part of the team if they ever win a Cup or consistently contend.

He shows plenty of compete and plenty of skill in flashes.

If he has the dedication to be a star, I expect to see the fruits of that next year. Give him the rest of the year to get pissed off that he isn’t good enough, but also to learn the pace, and a summer to work on his body in a serious professional way for the first time. His game will be fine mentally, or at least he has the tools.

He needs to make his body strong enough to execute. I like him and I think he has the competitiveness to be pissed he suddenly isn’t even close to the most gifted guy on the ice and realize he needs to work like a friggin animal to get there.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013

Out of the Christmas movie videos, Casey's was probably the weakest. I think it might be because it was a solo- no other Sabres players involved to play off of (like Bogo saying grace).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad