Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
His production has been disappointing, but the talent is there. The question is whether he puts it together later this year or takes 1-2 more years.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't get it. What does the original scene from the actual Home Alone movie have to do with Casey Mittlestadt?

Might have to do with the Google Assistant commercial where they re-created moments from the movie. Probably just playing off that.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I didn’t understand our development strategy with Casey from the start. Maybe if he lit it up in preseason/college I could see playing him as a 2C from the start, but that didn’t happen.

He’s not in a very good position to succeed. He’s not physically developed, trails behind the play on occasion, and doesn’t have very good linemates.

Anybody have any suggestions to improve his situation? We need a center in a bad way.

Last edited:
Reactions: IlikeEich

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I didn’t understand our development strategy with Casey from the start. Maybe if he lit it up in preseason/college I could see playing him as a 2C from the start, but that didn’t happen.

He not in a very good position to succeed. He’s not physically developed, trails behind the play on occasion, and doesn’t have very good linemates.

Anybody have any suggestions to improve his situation? We need a center in a bad way.

Yes. He needs to be behind another scoring center.

Reactions: DJN21

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Guve him a short, second, pre-season. He needs time and space to be productive and he’s not fast or strong enough yet. Put in the work now, waiting until summer is a waste of time.
He’s not contributing right now anyway.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He not in a very good position to succeed. He’s not physically developed, trails behind the play on occasion, and doesn’t have very good linemates.

We have two scoring lines who get usage in line with that role (Jack/Mitts lines). We have two defensive lines who get usage in lie with their role (Sobotka/Larsson). In terms of minutes played at ES. Atoi in order are as follows; Jack(15:55), Sobotka (12:44), Larry(11:40) then Mitts (11:36).

So when you say 2C, I’m not sure who or what you're referring to. Is it the center that gets the 2nd most ice time? (That would be Sobtoka or whoever centers that line). Or the secodary scoring line center, who plays the least?

It matters because you seem frustrated with Mitts not fulfilling a “2C” role you think he got out of camp. When in reality he has been a bottom 6 center in minutes played the entire season.

As for helping his development, I expect another summer of working out will be needed for that next step. That said he will gain a ton of valuable experience over the rest of the season which should help him with his decision making.

As @Chainshot has mentioned, he is only 18 months or so removed from playing HS hockey.He’s also never played this type of grinding season. When you factor thsoe things in, he doesn’t look bad at all. But he certainly hasn’t lived up to the preseason hype that had him pegged as one of the possible top rookies this year. I expected more offensen. So I’m disappointed on that front. But he has been better defensively/positionally than I thought he would be.

Last edited:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
We have two scoring lines who get usage in line with that role (Jack/Mitts lines). We have two defensive lines who get usage in lie with their role (Sobotka/Larsson). In terms of minutes played at ES. Atoi in order are as follows; Jack(15:55), Sobotka (12:44), Larry(11:40) then Mitts (11:36).

So when you say 2C, I’m not sure who or what you're referring to. Is it the center that gets the 2nd most ice time? (That would be Sobtoka or whoever centers that line). Or the secodary scoring line center, who plays the least?

It matters because you seem frustrated with Mitts not fulfilling a “2C” role you think he got out of camp. When in reality he has been a bottom 6 center in minutes played the entire season.

As for helping his development, I expect another summer of working out will be needed for that next step. That said he will gain a ton of valuable experience over the rest of the season which should help him with his decision making.

As @Chainshot has mentioned, he is only 18 months or so removed from playing HS hockey.He’s also never played this type of grinding season. When you factor thsoe things in, he doesn’t look bad at all. But he certainly hasn’t lived up to the preseason hype that had him pegged as one of the possible top rookies this year. I expected more offensen. So I’m disappointed on that front. But he has been better defensively/positionally than I thought he would be.

I say 2C just because that’s where he’s shown on graphics I see. Plus, I don’t think anybody sees Sobotka as a guy that should be anything close to the 2nd best center on the team. Basically what I’m getting at is that I don’t really care what you call him. I’m not really trying to talk labels as I think 2nd and 3rd line can easily be debated in a lot of cases.

I am concerned about the middle 6 of our lineup and I pinpoint his position as the one that affects us (negatively) the most (and I hate Sobotka). If there was a better performer in Casey’s position, I think (or at least I hope) Sobotka would get much less ice time. I think there needs to be a change in order for the team to improve. Playing him at center with the teammates he’s had will only result in more of the same IMO.

Reactions: DJN21

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I say 2C just because that’s where he’s shown on graphics I see. Plus, I don’t think anybody sees Sobotka as a guy that should be anything close to the 2nd best center on the team. Basically what I’m getting at is that I don’t really care what you call him. I’m not really trying to talk labels as I think 2nd and 3rd line can easily be debated in a lot of cases.

I am concerned about the middle 6 of our lineup and I pinpoint his position as the one that affects us (negatively) the most (and I hate Sobotka). If there was a better performer in Casey’s position, I think (or at least I hope) Sobotka would get much less ice time. I think there needs to be a change in order for the team to improve. Playing him at center with the teammates he’s had will only result in more of the same IMO.

You should care about understanding how Mitts is used and what his role is relative to the others centers. Otherwise you will be hard pressed to make informed suggestions on how to fix things.

As an example, Sobotka plays a defensively skewed role which leads to him having a OZS% of 37%. Mitts OZS% of 78% is indicative of an offensively skewed role. They are not competing for the same type of ice time. Mitts playing better will not lead top a big drop off in Sobotka’s ice time.

Its not about seeing Sobtoka as the 2nd best center or thinking he deserves the 2nd most ES ice time. Its about understanding that the center in his role/usage will get the 2nd most ES minutes with the way Housley uses his lines. Mitts is not going to get used in that defensively skewed role. So he won’t be the guy getting the 2nd most ES ice time. He will be a bottom 6 center.

I’d like to see more offense from Mitts as well. But I can live with a 19/20 year old rookie feeling his way through the season. If we truly want to see an upgrade at the center position. Then it would probably make more sense to worry about the center in the role that gets the 2nd most ES minutes every night. We’ve tried Berglund and Erod but its mostly been Sobotka.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

He’s not in a very good position to succeed. He’s not physically developed, trails behind the play on occasion, and doesn’t have very good linemates.

I guess nobody really is going to never know what was going through their heads.
But I don't think they could be really that reckless to believe he was ready to be a 2c.
I guess they thought that Berglund could be somewhat of a contributor and be at least a 3c in d zone and an offensive 3c with Casey.
His offense is just lacking other than that I have more problems with other players than him.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think it might be AHL time. Botts would never do that though.
Mittelstadt has never been a top performing scorer except for the JWC. Being the guy is a skill in itself. To have the confidence as well as skill to pounce on chances.
I say: bootcamp+AHL would be a good way to reset the season for him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The "2C" is probably more a conversation about the offensive output than pure TOI.
Maybe but I try not to assume what a poster is talking about. I also think role and usage matter to expectations as well. I get frustrated by a lack of understanding of the topic (how our centers are used). It leads to poor framing of discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad