Confirmed with Link: Casey Fitzgerald on waivers, claimed by Florida

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Holy shit, how’d I miss this?

Thank god. Good guy, useful in Rochester, but getting him outta Buffalo was necessary one way or the other. He gets to give it a go in Florida- good. Nice guy, hope he enjoys the weather and makes shit happen. Not NHL-quality from what we’ve seen.

Adams- make. A f***ing. Move. We need a RD, the price isn’t gonna lower towards the deadline, the f*** are we doing here? The need is glaring, stop rearranging deck chairs when we need a midship panel because we’re constantly taking on water there ffs.
After listening to his interview with Marek, it ain't happening, so quit askin.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Told you so…..

No

RHD is hard to come by. Given his sge ( just ending ELC) and salary he’d get claimed over a player thry could have signed themselves in the off season

if he was a LD he’d likely clear
For the record, I'd rather have him than Bryson but he's a nothing too.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
After listening to his interview with Marek, it ain't happening, so quit askin.

Summary of what he said? I find it so frustrating- we give up more goals than anyone else, there’s a team aspect there for sure, but we also have a glaring weakness at one specific position- I don’t really blame the goalies, you wouldn’t have to give up a ton to get basic competence.. and he says “no”?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Summary of what he said? I find it so frustrating- we give up more goals than anyone else, there’s a team aspect there for sure, but we also have a glaring weakness at one specific position- I don’t really blame the goalies, you wouldn’t have to give up a ton to get basic competence.. and he says “no”?
right off the hop

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

They don't want to get away with the plan. Don't want to make short term moves. Don't want to block their young players. If adding a player, he wants someone (young) that can grow with the current core. Mostly the same stuff he says in every interview regarding roster moves.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Call me jaded because of what happened in 2005-2006, but I’d gladly take what Casey Fitzgerald brings to an NHL roster over Jeff Jillson. I really wanted to have Fitzgerald, Pilut, and maybe even Clague in the AHL to safeguard against disaster.
Adam's is not managing a playoff roster... because this isn't one. Playoffs are always a goal, and getting close or just making it would help in team development. But I don't expect Adam's to manage a roster where he wants depth in Rochester to call upon in the playoffs. I would even say it's the opposite where he wants players like you mentioned down on the farm to help that team make a run if possible.

Reactions: Zman5778

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
They don't want to get away with the plan. Don't want to make short term moves. Don't want to block their young players. If adding a player, he wants someone (young) that can grow with the current core. Mostly the same stuff he says in every interview.
Marek asks him questions we are all asking here as well pretty directly and he just continually dances around the question essentially. I like Adams quite a bit but doesn't seem like he has any interest in making a deal unless the perfect one comes along at the perfect time.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
They don't want to get away with the plan. Don't want to make short term moves. Don't want to block their young players. If adding a player, he wants someone (young) that can grow with the current core. Mostly the same stuff he says in every interview regarding roster moves.
The plan of 15 years without the playoffs?

The plan of a defensive core bereft of any reasonable depth??

Reactions: Bendium

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Marek asks him questions we are all asking here as well pretty directly and he just continually dances around the question essentially. I like Adams quite a bit but doesn't seem like he has any interest in making a deal unless the perfect one comes along at the perfect time.
Yeah no surprises. We should just reset our brains toward Ryan Johnson and the draft. The move we want isn't going to happen.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
some people just need to bitch/complain about something, because they don't like Adams or Granato
I love Adams and Granato, but that doesn't mean everything they do is immune from criticism. I also didn't want Fitz in my NHL dman group, but that doesn't mean he had no value and should be lost to waivers.

I complained about it because I didn't like the move. That doesn't mean I do not like management. Not everything has to be all or none.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Adams- make. A f***ing. Move. We need a RD, the price isn’t gonna lower towards the deadline, the f*** are we doing here? The need is glaring, stop rearranging deck chairs when we need a midship panel because we’re constantly taking on water there ffs.

I'd argue that there's a greater need at LD. Getting Bryson/Clague off the ice would do more to help our D than getting Boosh off the ice and/or Joker less minutes.

But that's another thread.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Adam's is not managing a playoff roster... because this isn't one. Playoffs are always a goal, and getting close or just making it would help in team development. But I don't expect Adam's to manage a roster where he wants depth in Rochester to call upon in the playoffs. I would even say it's the opposite where he wants players like you mentioned down on the farm to help that team make a run if possible.
Do you think an approximate $18 cap handicap might be part of the problem? There is nothing to manage. Pegula won't spend. (Add in another $5 M for Bishop just for fun)

I love when people tell them $23 M wouldn't have made the Sabres better. Maybe not. But a couple of depth players on $5 M contracts for two years could have this team significantly better. We can get some scraps at the deadline but the same options are not there once the season starts.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Do you think an approximate $18 cap handicap might be part of the problem? There is nothing to manage. Pegula won't spend. (Add in another $5 M for Bishop just for fun)

I love when people tell them $23 M wouldn't have made the Sabres better. Maybe not. But a couple of depth players on $5 M contracts for two years could have this team significantly better. We can get some scraps at the deadline but the same options are not there once the season starts.
No, I don't buy into any of this. I think this take is tired and old and the results we are seeing align with what Adams has preached.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'd argue that there's a greater need at LD. Getting Bryson/Clague off the ice would do more to help our D than getting Boosh off the ice and/or Joker less minutes.

But that's another thread.

Yea we have Dahlin/Joker/Boosh on the right side. I don’t see any of them not filling that role for this year or next.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I love Adams and Granato, but that doesn't mean everything they do is immune from criticism. I also didn't want Fitz in my NHL dman group, but that doesn't mean he had no value and should be lost to waivers.

I complained about it because I didn't like the move. That doesn't mean I do not like management. Not everything has to be all or none.

Fitz had three values: a return of a 7th, a cap dump (think Weber here), or future considerations.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Yes bringing in a good bottom pairing D would definitely knock a young gem like Clague out of the lineup what were we thinking. The only guy that are core are Dahlin, Samuelsson, and Power while Joker is the only one that up in the air whether he has a future here the rest are the most obvious spare parts in the lineup.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
On ice impacts aside, I always liked Fitz. I liked his style of game, his attitude, and I always rooted for him to succeed, so it's bittersweet to see him get claimed. On one hand I hope the change of scenery helps him succeed, on the other I wish he was succeeding here. Best of luck Fitz!

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Understand, my issue has zero to do with Fitz. If you asked me a week ago, I would have told you that my goal for him would to be to replace him in the organization with either a better NHL viable depth defenseman, or a higher potential AHL prospect. Part of replacing Fitz would have been removing Fitz from the organization. Thats done. The other part though is replacing him, which hasn't been done with this move, and any value he could have had in that is now gone.

Here is my real concern. If you will mismanage pennies, you will eventually mismanage dollars. No matter how you spin it this asset was lost for nothing when it didn't have to be. Thats an unforced error.

And you think I am over reacting?

I do. Yes I do.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
On ice impacts aside, I always liked Fitz. I liked his style of game, his attitude, and I always rooted for him to succeed, so it's bittersweet to see him get claimed. On one hand I hope the change of scenery helps him succeed, on the other I wish he was succeeding here. Best of luck Fitz!

Yep, easy guy to root for because of how he played and how well liked he was by his teammates. As someone who was hoping he would sign coming out of BC as one of those pesky 4-year NCAA players to someone who was aggravated at how his first year in the AHL was fumbled away in the systemic development tomfoolery of the Botterill regime, I'm happy that he's become an NHLer, even a fringe one. He'd be a great add for the Amerks if ever the Panthers decide to put him on waivers but looking at the Panthers right now, I don't know if that will happen with their various injuries and relative lack of cap space and not for nothing... the Panthers lack of a quality AHL player to recall to displace him.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Noticed he's now managed to get into three games for the Panthers. They have been dressing 11/7 and he wound up with 4:32, 6:16, and 3:12 of TOI in the games he's played.

Seems like he'll be a Group VI UFA unless the Panthers basically play him out the stretch.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Noticed he's now managed to get into three games for the Panthers. They have been dressing 11/7 and he wound up with 4:32, 6:16, and 3:12 of TOI in the games he's played.

Seems like he'll be a Group VI UFA unless the Panthers basically play him out the stretch.
Almost makes you wonder why they bothered to claim him, they had other options on the farm club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad