Confirmed with Link: Casey Fitzgerald (2016, 86th) – '18-19: Boston College #5 (NCAA) SIGNED

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've also been slack in watching them play. I've been loving up on Bryson and the Friars more often when given the opportunity. :biglaugh:

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
it sort of feels like Fitzgerald is forgotten among Sabres fans. I’d imagine we try to sign him this spring. We salivate over guys like Fabbro but this guys trajectory isn’t that different.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
it sort of feels like Fitzgerald is forgotten among Sabres fans. I’d imagine we try to sign him this spring. We salivate over guys like Fabbro but this guys trajectory isn’t that different.

Fitzgerald went undrafted in his first draft eligible year. Other than the fact that they both play College Hockey, their trajectories have been completely different. Fabbro's trajectory from pre-draft to now is a lot more like Makar's. Both dominated BCHL/AJHL and rose up the draft rankings.

I agree we should try to sign Fitz soon, though. See how he does in camp or Rochester.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
He's one of the few right shots of any substance we have in the prospect pool (along with Borgen, Laaksonen is god knows how many years away, if ever, from making the NHL). And he's putting semi-decent NCAA numbers. We absolutely have to sign him rather than risk losing him for nothing. When can he go UFA? Summer 2019?

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Fitzgerald went undrafted in his first draft eligible year. Other than the fact that they both play College Hockey, their trajectories have been completely different. Fabbro's trajectory from pre-draft to now is a lot more like Makar's. Both dominated BCHL/AJHL and rose up the draft rankings.

I agree we should try to sign Fitz soon, though. See how he does in camp or Rochester.

I was referring to more recent history and their production/performance during the first two years of college (in the same conference). It’s similar from what I’ve seen. Also thought they performed similarly at the WJC.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How has he been playing this year? I really liked his game at the WJC last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How has he been playing this year? I really liked his game at the WJC last year.

I like him but BC has been... scattered?... lacking some identity? Gets all situation usage still, is wearing a letter as a team leader, all good. Still a longshot, but that's pretty much the whole of the Sabre pipeline behind Guhle.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hutsko's almost always good too when I sneak a peak at BC/Fitzgerald, but can't say much for the rest of the team. I also thought Hutsko would have more points because of the games that I've seen from him though. BC hasn't defeated anyone outside of Hockey East (0-7-3), yet they thinly lead the conference. They'll have to win the conference tourney, as they shouldn't get an at-large bid either.

Reactions: Chainshot

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He's one of the few right shots of any substance we have in the prospect pool (along with Borgen, Laaksonen is god knows how many years away, if ever, from making the NHL). And he's putting semi-decent NCAA numbers. We absolutely have to sign him rather than risk losing him for nothing. When can he go UFA? Summer 2019?

I'd love to be wrong, but defensive college D don't tend to pan out professionally.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
On for the GWG against -- he ranges high up the leftwing half boards and by the time he's back in front, it's in the net. Granted, what the hell McPhee is doing on that play down low on the rotation is anyone's guess. Not Fitz's fault but still a tough way to go.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
What's going on with this kid? Shouldn't we be trying to sign him? 3 years in college is enough, get him to Rochester.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Not a word about Fitzgerald. Strange. Even if Botterill wasn't very high on him, with a team with such a shallow pool of defense prospects, you'd think they'd want to get him under contract. Maybe there have been discussions but our lazy local media just hasn't inquired.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not a word about Fitzgerald. Strange. Even if Botterill wasn't very high on him, with a team with such a shallow pool of defense prospects, you'd think they'd want to get him under contract. Maybe there have been discussions but our lazy local media just hasn't inquired.

Joe Yerdon indicated the team didn't feel Fitz was a priority compared to Borgen a few weeks ago.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If Yerdon got that from somebody inside the Sabres management/scouting department then they really must not like Fitzgerald's potential, i'd think Fitzgerald would take it as a snub - I would.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Yerdon got that from somebody inside the Sabres management/scouting department then they really must not like Fitzgerald's potential, i'd think Fitzgerald would take it as a snub - I would.

It was Yerdon's take. *shrug* Not everything is a mortal slight. There is something to the guy being an Olympian and a key part of the top rated program in the country vs. what Fitz did this year.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We have another year to sign Fitzgerald. If there is interest on our side, I'd assume it will get done in time. What's strange is that Budik's rights expire this year even though he's younger and I hope he gets signed, similar to Oloffson - that's where I'd put my effort next if I'm Botts..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->