Post-Game Talk: Cascadians 5, Calgarians 1: Schroeder scores his first (and his second)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I agree with the sentiment but don't think it's laziness as much as age catching up to him. It should also put into perspective what happened to Markus Naslund. A few years ago Iginla was lauded as the best leader in pro sports with the heart of a Lion-god. Now the best way to describe him is 'gutless and lazy'.

Age catches up to us all. We just have a hard time accepting it when it happens to our hockey heroes.

Well, age has made me lazy.

So, good point.

I've said this a million times; if they ever have a moment of stupidity and deal Kipper; they'll be a lottery pick team. Not basing it just on Irving's last nights performance but that guy can't even win a starters job on the Flames AHL affiliate.

I'm not quite prepared to write-off Iginla just yet - though it's getting close. Historically, he's been well known for very slow starts in the regular season. Course, this problem is magnified in a short-season.

I think I am a little further in writing him off than you...and my belief is, I don't see a contender selling their future for a guy with a lot of miles on him.

And I think Kipper is a good goalie but like Iginla, I believe he is past his due date.

If the Flames ownership had any sense they never would have bought into Feaster's re-build on the fly plan.

If they had've cleaned house about three years ago, they would at least have a young and possibly exciting franchise future today.

And it sucks to lose the way Edmonton has the last few seasons, but at least there is some evidence that they could have a playoff team in another couple of years.

Calgary hasn't hit bottom yet, but they are inches away. They are looking at a lot of dark years in the wilderness.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
NHL.com is unbelievable, they have a "My first goal" section and no Shroeder highlights. And the first two (Matteau and Komarov) are ones scored on Saturday.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
I thought the Canucks were getting the better chances before Calgary scored, they were just a bit unlucky. Not like one of those nights when they couldn't buy a quality chance, like pretty much any game before the last road trip. I knew the Canucks would keep plugging away and that Irving wouldn't be able to hold it off for another 2 periods. And that's just what happened. They're turning the corner now.
The Canucks were getting the better chances before the Flames scored. Irving was really sharp in the first period, reading the plays well. If it wasn't for Irving, the Canucks would have been at least up by 3 after 20 minutes.

I meant "one of these nights" in terms of when you create numerous great scoring chances but fail to capitalize on them.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Am I crazy or is Garrison a more physical Salo?

JG has made a lot of progress and is now playing like the reliable guy we expected.

I haven't seen Salos skill level (yet) but Garrison looks a lot stronger and more physically able to withstand a long playoff run.

This team was very weak down low last season due to our lack of size and strength at the back. Hopefully JS can help a lot in that area.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Defensively - especially over the last few games - I think this is a pretty solid comparison. He has yet to really bring the offence that Sami was noted for, but he is still settling in.

Exactly. And you can tell even his defensive miscues are due to settling in on a new team. A team that asks defenders to play a different way. Also not that kind of settling in Ballard had to do(Though he's obviously figured it out).

Once the power play gets a proper setup going we're going to reap the benefits of this signing and I'm not even expecting big numbers.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
We still need to fix these pairings somehow. I've grown to love Ballard, but if we can package him to get a top RD for Edler we'd be set.

Edler RD
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev

Forcing Edler to play his offside is not preferable in the long term.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Am I crazy or was Garrison not on any PP unit last night? Wasn't that one of the bigger reasons we got him?

2nd unit was Bieksa and Hamhuis, while 1st only had Edler and the 2nd point man was on constant rotation (Daniel and JS both spent decent amount of time there).

Nov 1, 2011
We still need to fix these pairings somehow. I've grown to love Ballard, but if we can package him to get a top RD for Edler we'd be set.

Edler RD
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev

Forcing Edler to play his offside is not preferable in the long term.

I think Tanev might be the right kind of guy for Edler... Then we need to find a guy to pair with Garrison. I wild suggest potentially his partner from last year.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I think Tanev might be the right kind of guy for Edler... Then we need to find a guy to pair with Garrison. I wild suggest potentially his partner from last year.

I've been pumping a Edler Tanev pairing since before the season has even started. We'll see how he develops by next season.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Am I crazy or is Garrison a more physical Salo?

This is who he reminded me of most when in Florida. Solid defensively with a cannon from the point. Salo is a little smoother with the puck and on his edges, whereas Garrison finishes more checks.

Garrison is getting closer to the player he was for the Panthers. For the record, I don't believe he was signed to improve the PP. He was signed to bring some stability, durability and eat tough minutes. He should be able to fill that role well IMO once he gets up to speed. He's come along way since the 1st game...

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
This is who he reminded me of most when in Florida. Solid defensively with a cannon from the point. Salo is a little smoother with the puck and on his edges, whereas Garrison finishes more checks.

Garrison is getting closer to the player he was for the Panthers. For the record, I don't believe he was signed to improve the PP. He was signed to bring some stability, durability and eat tough minutes. He should be able to fill that role well IMO once he gets up to speed. He's come along way since the 1st game...

Exactly. Garrison is a prime example of Youtube scouting reports. All people saw was a Souray-like bomb and expected him to be formed from the same mould. When you talk to Panthers fans, they really only touched on his defensive prowess - the PP goals were a bonus.

Scottrockztheworld*

Exactly. Garrison is a prime example of Youtube scouting reports. All people saw was a Souray-like bomb and expected him to be formed from the same mould. When you talk to Panthers fans, they really only touched on his defensive prowess - the PP goals were a bonus.

... ouch?

or you know the fact Gillis said:

"We think we have pairings that can work, and we certainly have a spot on the power play for a shot like that," said Gillis. "I'm pretty confident that he has still further upside."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=399733&hubname=nhl-canucks

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

I guess we know where MG and his scouts do most of their player assessment. :sarcasm:

It's pretty obvious that the Canucks are counting on Garrison to bring a big shot to the power play. I can't wait to see how this team performs when kes starts to get into the groove. I want to see something similar to that CBJ beatdown in 10-11. I don't think I have ever seen the Canucks not let up like in that game. It was beautiful.

this game:

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

Scottrockztheworld*

Ouch to who? When the Canucks made the signing, the public perception of Garrison was not that of a stay-at-home defenseman. And Gillis marketing a signing to the public doesn't mean much to me. I'm still waiting for Marc Chouinard to live up to Nonis' claim that he was the best 4th line C in the league.

The ouch is in what I thought was a suggestion that the only thing I knew about Garrison was the slapper from what you claimed were Youtube scouting reports.

I think anyone that goes on HF regularly knew that Garrison's goal totals were more or less unsustainable & that his defensive play was the biggest factor in signing him. You would think with Gillis' comments that they would want t try & build off of what he did last season though & give him PP time. I know last night was the first night when he wasn't on either of the units but I hope this doesn't continue! I'd much rather see Garrison & his heavy slapper on the PP then Hamhuis who has had a lot of trouble getting shots through.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
The ouch is in what I thought was a suggestion that the only thing I knew about Garrison was the slapper from what you claimed were Youtube scouting reports.

No, sorry, I didn't even see your comment. And don't get me wrong, Garrison has the tool to be an effective PP contributor, but I know plenty of people who didn't like the signing at the time because the Canucks didn't need an "offence-first" Dman.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I guess we know where MG and his scouts do most of their player assessment. :sarcasm:

It's pretty obvious that the Canucks are counting on Garrison to bring a big shot to the power play. I can't wait to see how this team performs when kes starts to get into the groove. I want to see something similar to that CBJ beatdown in 10-11. I don't think I have ever seen the Canucks not let up like in that game. It was beautiful.

this game:

That 10-11 team was so effing good. Makes me miss Ehrhoff watching that.

Scottrockztheworld*

No, sorry, I didn't even see your comment. And don't get me wrong, Garrison has the tool to be an effective PP contributor, but I know plenty of people who didn't like the signing at the time because the Canucks didn't need an "offence-first" Dman.

Wait all these comments in all these threads aren't replies to my posts? :sarcasm:

I too feel like he has the tools to contribute to the PP & thats why I want to see him there. I'm not expecting him to be an offense first kind of guy but with the money he's being paid I expect him to bb more of a 2 way guy & used that way. We know we are going to get very solid defense from Garrison but I'd like to see him put in a situation where his offensive game can be used & with a powerful shot from the point you kind of imagine that to be on a PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad