GDT: carwpg

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I'm not disappointed from the effort but this stinks. Almost as painful as Isles game. Good game from Hamilton, Mrazek was on. This team doesn't quit but it's not sustainable to be dominating every game without special team contribution. Our PP is tragic since 2006 but i don't understand how our PK suddenly is one of the worst in the entire league. We are not good on the dot, too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I was really hoping for OT but of course it had to end that way.

Mrazeks last few years have been rough, so his game's a bit of a mess, few good games in a row could do wonders for his game if/when he regained his confidence back.
This was a really good game by him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think we've gotten accustomed to the idea that we can play with anybody 5-on-5, just talking about the skaters. It's not even that surprising when you look at the template being followed, the CBJs and Vegas have had success the same way with roughly equal (or lesser) talent.

The goalie situation is what will hold this team back. It's going to lose us games where we outplay the other team significantly and that's just the way it is.

The Jets were delusional enough to think Pavs was a starter for close to 5 seasons so I feel your pain. Having a vezina finalist starter last season was so surreal as a Jets fan I felt like George Costanza with the phoney picture of an attractive girlfriend that was the gateway to a place I didn’t belong.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I do not miss how nervous and scared Cam Ward looked in net with absolutely zero emotion

Mzarek looks ****ing engaged the whole game. You may beat him.... but he looks confident.

Which makes me more confident :)

He also looks a bit crazy. Like he might come at you with his goalie stick at any minute.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Well, I guess we had to lose at some point. Sucks to do it in the last couple minutes though.

Where do all these teams get these random backup goalies who can just step out and weather a barrage of 40+ shots and win? Why have we struggled for so many years to get a good one when it seems like every other team has them stacked up like cordwood?

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Well, I guess we had to lose at some point. Sucks to do it in the last couple minutes though.

Where do all these teams get these random backup goalies who can just step out and weather a barrage of 40+ shots and win? Why have we struggled for so many years to get a good one when it seems like every other team has them stacked up like cordwood?

Q reason why Francis is no longer a GM.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I do not miss how nervous and scared Cam Ward looked in net with absolutely zero emotion

Mzarek looks ****ing engaged the whole game. You may beat him.... but he looks confident.

Which makes me more confident :)

Ward with zero emotion? Since when? The guy always wore his emotions on his sleeve (or blocker).

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
On today's episode of "Yeah, that makes sense":

Corsi 5v5 NHL Leaders:

#PlayerCFCA+/-
1Williams11844+74
2Foegele11451+63
3Martinook9535+60
4Staal10751+56
5Wallmark9742+55
6TDe Haan12268+54
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Canes have #1-5 in the NHL locked up.

This is the same stat/concept people point to in order to show Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak's dominance as a line last year. Bergeron finished the year +437 which was over 100 higher than any other team's player (Doughty with +326).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Every goalie steps up and has a game like that once in a while. They don’t do it consistently or they wouldn’t be journeymen backups.

Having a lot of shots doesn’t mean they’re high quality either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Q reason why Francis is no longer a GM.
It was nice to watch the winni broadcast and hear them a couple of times mention that despite the turnaround this is still the team Francis built. They made sure to give him the credit he deserves.

They also showed stats on drafted talent playing for the big club between the two and had us at 13, either tops in the league or close to it. We’re also the youngest. Francis put a lot of that in place.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It was nice to watch the winni broadcast and hear them a couple of times mention that despite the turnaround this is still the team Francis built. They made sure to give him the credit he deserves.

They also showed stats on drafted talent playing for the big club between the two and had us at 13, either tops in the league or close to it. We’re also the youngest. Francis put a lot of that in place.

Maybe Francis wasn’t the guy to get us over the hump or make the big trade like we did this summer but I will forever be grateful to him for his drafting and for restocking our system to a level of talent we’ve never experienced before.

It's not wrong to give both Francis and Waddell credit for how the team looks. Francis did great work by building up the system and bringing in lots of talented players, but Waddell also did great work (so far) by pruning away players that didn't seem to fit well and bringing in guys that are helping to change the culture and make the team work as a unit. Both should get credit for two very different, but equally important, parts of making the team work well now.

And both should get the blame for the goalie situation if it is again the anchor to our season. Neither has effectively handled that albatros.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It's not wrong to give both Francis and Waddell credit for how the team looks. Francis did great work by building up the system and bringing in lots of talented players, but Waddell also did great work (so far) by pruning away players that didn't seem to fit well and bringing in guys that are helping to change the culture and make the team work as a unit. Both should get credit for two very different, but equally important, parts of making the team work well now.

And both should get the blame for the goalie situation if it is again the anchor to our season. Neither has effectively handled that albatros.

Waddell was in tough to do anything about the goalie situation right away. He made a play for Grubauer and the decision was made to move him outside the division. Not much else available in free agency or even in trade right now. I really have no clue when we’re going to be able to address that weakness.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Waddell was in tough to do anything about the goalie situation right away. He made a play for Grubauer and the decision was made to move him outside the division. Not much else available in free agency or even in trade right now. I really have no clue when we’re going to be able to address that weakness.

When others teams start accepting turtlenecks in trade for goalies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Everything I've read from the team this year says they have faith in Darling. Given how much they've been right about things we thought were... questionable... Who knows, they could be right about this as well. If we do get the Darling that played for Chicago instead of overweight slow Darling that crapped the sheets last year....

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Chip Alexander Retweeted
Carolina Hurricanes‏Verified account @NHLCanes 1h1 hour ago
@SebastianAho has been named the @NHL's third star of the week!
#TakeWarningpic.twitter.com/inFPv8euPS
Dpj6UciVsAAvIgc.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad