OT: Cartoons/Animation/etc Thread

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

I have no idea what the hell that is. But again, the memory is jogged.

Johnny Quest, another Hanna Barbara cartoon was fantastic. Their catalogue is just too big, that's what the catcher said.

Johnny Quest however leads directly to a nouveau interpretation that is just the tops- Venture Brothers. An Adult Swim, which I was previously too lazy to name, but does deserve direct mention.

So yeah, a retro and the inspired new comer, joined at the hips. What's old is new again. What hasn't been rehashed yet? The Mock Draft Crew can definitely write a cartoon for it making it fresh and relevant for today.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There was a trend in the 70s and 80s of turning tv shows into crappy Saturday morning cartoons.

View attachment 220547
View attachment 220549
View attachment 220551
View attachment 220553
View attachment 220555
View attachment 220557
View attachment 220559

This one may very well take the cake though. Apparently a Jetsons reboot with the kids aged up was scrapped in favor of it.
View attachment 220565
FLASH BACKS!!!!!!!!!

Rambo and Chuck Norris also had cartoons in the late 70s, early 80s. I remember catching the tale end of Rambo cartoons as a child. The Chuck Norris one's I found on an internet rabbit hole, they were southeast Asian or something, and horrible. The action scenes were looped, and the dubbing timing were horrible. A glory to behold!

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The catchiest theme song. The Pink Panther.

Yep, when I was in elementary school, I think 2nd or 3rd grade, I went to the school bathroom and kept "singing" that song.. And kept increasing the volume (I didnt even notice it) for about a minute or two.

And then the principal came to see what the hell is going on because every single classroom on that floor heard me. :laugh:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I have no idea what the hell that is. But again, the memory is jogged.

Johnny Quest, another Hanna Barbara cartoon was fantastic. Their catalogue is just too big, that's what the catcher said.

Johnny Quest however leads directly to a nouveau interpretation that is just the tops- Venture Brothers. An Adult Swim, which I was previously too lazy to name, but does deserve direct mention.

So yeah, a retro and the inspired new comer, joined at the hips. What's old is new again. What hasn't been rehashed yet? The Mock Draft Crew can definitely write a cartoon for it making it fresh and relevant for today.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Clutch Cargo was an odd and unique cartoon... it was a cartoon where the body and other items were drawn while each character's lips were superimposed real life lips that moved with the dialogue... it was an adventure cartoon from the late 50s IIRC that was in syndication... TBH, it was more interesting than it was good... and is now more of a Memory and Trivia than it is a long ago favorite.

The really old ones I posted got little to no Likes... Krazy Kat wasn't really that good, but was actually popular dating back to before any of us were born... Gerald Mc Bong Bong was merely an oddity... Ruff and Ready was a long lost underappreciated Hanna and Barbera gem that was a springboard from their Tom and Jerry roots into their own stuff.

I really wanted to include Winky Dink... but felt it really didn't fit in, after hunting down clips on YouTube... it was a live show/cartoon where the kids at home put a plastic coating on their TVs and actually drew escapes for the hero as directed by the in studio host... it is well worth hunting up and viewing an episode or two. We kids had to send away for the screen to use our crayons with, before we could enjoy the show... Actually quite innovated and before its time... but never really quite caught on enough to progress forward.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Yep, when I was in elementary school, I think 2nd or 3rd grade, I went to the school bathroom and kept "singing" that song.. And kept increasing the volume (I didnt even notice it) for about a minute or two.

And then the principal came to see what the hell is going on because every single classroom on that floor heard me. :laugh:

It was a huge hit on top 40 radio for Henry Mancini IIRC.

Reactions: kudymen

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Clutch Cargo was an odd and unique cartoon... it was a cartoon where the body and other items were drawn while each character's lips were superimposed real life lips that moved with the dialogue... it was an adventure cartoon from the late 50s IIRC that was in syndication... TBH, it was more interesting than it was good... and is now more of a Memory and Trivia than it is a long ago favorite.

The really old ones I posted got little to no Likes... Krazy Kat wasn't really that good, but was actually popular dating back to before any of us were born... Gerald Mc Bong Bong was merely an oddity... Ruff and Ready was a long lost underappreciated Hanna and Barbera gem that was a springboard from their Tom angle Jerry roots into their own stuff.

I really wanted to include Winky Dink... but felt it really didn't fit in, after hunting down clips on YouTube... it was a live show/cartoon where the kids at home put a plastic coating on their TVs and actually drew escapes for the hero as directed by the in studio host... it is well worth hunting up and view an episode or two. We kids had to send way for the screen to use our crayons with, before we could enjoy the show... Actually quite innovated and before its time... but never really quite caught on enough to progress forward.

I am pretty sure the "Krazy Kat' comic strip was super influential on the artists who came later - at least one (and I am pretty sure both) of Berkeley Breathed or Bill Watterson (both legitimate geniuses) was influenced by it. I don't know how many times I saw the animated show when I was growing up through the 70s, but it wasn't very often - we had "Top Cat" on our local independent channel, and it was great.

We also had "Heckle and Jeckle" on our other independent channel - in the mornings, it was "The Lone Ranger" at 6, then "Three Stooges," then "Looney Tunes," then "Heckle and Jeckle," then "Battle of the Planets" (literally the greatest thing in the world) and then something else, I don't remember what. For a while, "Rocky and Bullwinkle" was on then, and that made it the greatest 3-hour stretch of TV imaginable.

Last edited:

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I just realized that since Disney has the Muppets rights I wonder if they'll put the OG Muppet Babies cartoon on Disney+??? I loved it so much I even got the comics for a year through the school magazine drive and recorded myself on cassette voice acting an issue.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There is also the short-lived BET Black Panther. It is early 200s, maybe mid. It was fantastic, but on a station few watched and it was jumped around continuously to make regular viewing hard in a time before DVRs were super prevalent.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Does anyone who grew up with Nickelodeon in the mid-late 90s remember this show? It ended when I was three (2000) and has barely been rerun since then but I still have very vague memories of watching it a few times when I was really young. I specifically remember thinking that June (the character with the blue hair) was a boy. It has to be one of Nick's most obscure shows because it rarely got rerun and has never gotten a home media release of any kind (the reason is apparently because Nick doesn't own the rights to all the shorts that were used in the show anymore).

Kablam was in my prime. It was really goofy.

Action League Now is what I remember most.....

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There is also the short-lived BET Black Panther. It is early 200s, maybe mid. It was fantastic, but on a station few watched and it was jumped around continuously to make regular viewing hard in a time before DVRs were super prevalent.

Adult Swim had "Black Dynamite" for a while and it was awesome.

tumblr_ov7grjW5Ug1ramnmyo1_400.gif

images

tumblr_m78sy2gNYy1r00g3do1_500.gif

Reactions: Ruck Over

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don’t get it, Cap.

You see, Toe, when you started talking **** about me being romantically interested in that sofa-sized diva (she puts the "diva" in "divan"), I called her and told her that the gif wasn't enough and that she should go sit on your face.
She always does what I tell her, because unlike some appendages on here, she knows what the rank of Captain entails.

Reactions: BigToe and Defect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad