Carter vs. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
cassius said:
Exactly. I can't imagine what Malkin's stats would be in the OHL, meanwhile Carter didn't exactly put up amazing numbers.

Carter's stock is WAY too high in my opinion. He had a great playoff run for the Phantoms and he played well at WJC's, but I don't think he is anywhere near the prospect that Malkin is.

He has been the best or one of the best players on every team and at every level he has played at. He's also always a top scorer. I don't know what more he could have done.

I'll reiterate I'm not saying he's a better prospect then Malkin, but I think the CHL is overlooked by far too many and dismissed as being "kids". Dominating in the CHL is certainly no guarantee for NHL success, but it *is* the league that produces the most NHL stars. I'll never understand it's lack of respect from some.

Tom

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jenson said:
For those of you who have seen Carter and/or Malkin play, I am wondering if you can give me an assessment as to their future offensive potential.

Malkin has often been placed in the same class as Ovechkin, with electric offensive skills and attention to detail in his own defensive end. Malkin also seems to possess a more mature professional attitude when compared to Kovalchuk and Ovechkin.

~sigh~

To answer your question- Malkin. He's similar to Carter but has the potential to do everything at a higher level IMO.

But that last comment is clueless, sorry. The same Malkin who is "NHL ready" yet opted to stay in Russia while his Russian counterpart took less money to lead a projected last place team? (and then made a dubious joke/comment about winning the Calder) The same Malkin that was more guilty of taunting the US bench than any Russian player during the WJC GM game? I don't think he's done enough for you to worry about his "professional attitude", but I'd take him off that pedestal.

Roger's Pancreas*

asab said:
He's had one good playoff year in the AHL. That's 21 games. There's no question he did very well in those 21 games, but it hardly makes him proven against men in the AHL.

To correct you he had two good years in the A. The first year he came in to the playoffs when he was nineteen and was instantly their best player. He led the Phantoms in game winning goals and scored two overtime goals. The second year he came in and displayed better playmaking abilities along with a nose for the net. He led the A in points, goals, shots, and power-play goals during the Calder Cup playoffs. He scored his goals against Emery, Chiodo, Fleury, and Lehtonen all of who will play in the NHL at some point.

I don't know much about Malking but I'm not going to dismiss his potential. Poor Malkin though, will always be number two behind Crosby so we may not see his true potential. I give Malkin an edge but alot can happen in one year and that's just how long Malkin won't be in the NHL.

AgentNaslund*

Carter. I prefer Canadian Blood over Russian Blood, LOL.

sorry, but in a game that showcased 2 power houses, Canada and Russia, Carter pwned the entire russian team. He didnt lead Team Canada in points by Fluke. Carter in a heartbeat.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
AgentNaslund said:
Carter. I prefer Canadian Blood over Russian Blood, LOL.

sorry, but in a game that showcased 2 power houses, Canada and Russia, Carter pwned the entire russian team. He didnt lead Team Canada in points by Fluke. Carter in a heartbeat.

Thankfully NHL GMs have more sense than this sort of nonsense. I suppose you would take Vokoun over Brodeur as well then? And I guess it's fair to say that Jagr "pwned" the entire Canadian team.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Malkin has more finese then Carter, however if I was forced to choose 1 player to have on my team for the next 3 seasons, Jeff Carter hands down. Next 10, Evgeny Malkin, hands down.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
EroCaps said:
~sigh~

To answer your question- Malkin. He's similar to Carter but has the potential to do everything at a higher level IMO.

But that last comment is clueless, sorry. The same Malkin who is "NHL ready" yet opted to stay in Russia while his Russian counterpart took less money to lead a projected last place team? (and then made a dubious joke/comment about winning the Calder) The same Malkin that was more guilty of taunting the US bench than any Russian player during the WJC GM game? I don't think he's done enough for you to worry about his "professional attitude", but I'd take him off that pedestal.

So Malkin honoring his contract and giving his team one more year of service, isn't a professional attitude? Explain

Malkin wasn't "more guilty" of taunting the US bench than Ovechkin. Talk about twisting facts.

As for his comment about winning the Calder, he basically repeated what his agent said.

Ovechkin is a showboat and known for his arrogant attitude. I personally could care less, but don't let the facts get in the way of your homerism.

He infuriated the Canadians before they even played each other, with some of his comments.

"Do you remember Halifax, when all people said Team Canada would win the championship but we win and we prove all people Russia is better? We think Canada is just a team, not a god . . . nothing else." ~ A. Ovechkin

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
A. Ovechkin said:
"Do you remember Halifax, when all people said Team Canada would win the championship but we win and we prove all people Russia is better? We think Canada is just a team, not a god . . . nothing else."
What a moron. He doesn't recognize that they are gods.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
What a moron. He doesn't recognize that they are gods.

He could of said things another way without infuriating Team Can.

But hey, I guess you are just used to this behavior from him.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Malkin pretty easily. Carter may be better right now, but in 2-3 years I suspect they will be aty different levels.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
So Malkin honoring his contract and giving his team one more year of service, isn't a professional attitude? Explain

Malkin wasn't "more guilty" of taunting the US bench than Ovechkin. Talk about twisting facts.

As for his comment about winning the Calder, he basically repeated what his agent said.

Ovechkin is a showboat and known for his arrogant attitude. I personally could care less, but don't let the facts get in the way of your homerism.

He infuriated the Canadians before they even played each other, with some of his comments.

I have to disagree.....Malkin scored the 2nd EN goal and skated right in front of the US bench taunting them......his actions were more unsporting, and his goal was more meaningless....not sure who you can dispute that

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
He could of said things another way without infuriating Team Can.

But hey, I guess you are just used to this behavior from him.
Hey, from your posts, I guess you are the only person who knows what all international and national organizations think and would do and also you know ,better than everyone, what people should tell.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mothra said:
I have to disagree.....Malkin scored the 2nd EN goal and skated right in front of the US bench taunting them......his actions were more unsporting, and his goal was more meaningless....not sure who you can dispute that

You do know that Ovechkin was taunting them before Malkin scored, right?

Or is it the last player who taunts who is worse? Not sure what the grading scale is for these things. Not up to date on taunting 101.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Carter has yet to prove anything to me, I think he's quickly became one of the most overrated prospects out there...please do not compare him to Sakic or Yzerman...
Yes he has had a good run with the Phantoms, yes he did well on Canada's best junior team ever (who likely would have won easily without him anyway) but his junior stats imo are quite average...Bobby Ryan easily outscored him and he's two years younger...
If you're going to compare Carter to great NHLers, atleast use comparable stats..ie: Sakics jr. 72 games 133 points & 64 games and 160 points...Carters best 61 games 71 points...comparing Carter to Sakic is a bit of an insult to Sakics skill...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
Hey, from your posts, I guess you are the only person who knows what all international and national organizations think and would do and also you know ,better than everyone, what people should tell.

Taunting your opponent before a game is classless in every society I know of.

Especially when you leave the game with a "shoulder" injury.

He didn't exactly backup his talk, now did he?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Taunting your opponent before a game is classless in every society I know of.

Especially when you leave the game with a "shoulder" injury.

He didn't exactly backup his talk, now did he?
Where do you find "Taunting" ? In quote : "Team Canada aren't gods" ? Did he lie ?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
What never gets talked about is why the Russians were taunting? IMO the taunting was well deserved because the US were talking a ton of cheap shots and when O'Sullivan was stood up at the blue line by a Russian defender he whips his stick around to whack the defender in the mouth. Now Shirokov is Shirokov but thats when the entire Russian team got in on the act. They never had any problems with any other team besides the US.

Later in the game Malkin exploded on O'Sullivan with a hit in the corner. Just another plus for Malkin

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

Or is it the last player who taunts who is worse? Not sure what the grading scale is for these things. Not up to date on taunting 101.

Ovechkin scored the EN goal to seal the game, skated to the Russian bench and tugged at his Russian crest to a few fans yelling at him through the glass. Malkin skated by the US bench. IMO, to call either "taunting" was a huge reach but if you watch the game Malkin looks more flagrant.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

I wasnt at the game....but I watched it.....I saw Ovechkin pulling his sweater at the crowd...and it looked like a lot of talking was being done on the ice....from both sides

the big discussion has always been how AO celebrated his game clinching EN goal.....he did not skate right in front of the US bench as EM did after the next goal......that move by EM was very Barnaby like

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
Where do you find "Taunting" ? In quote : "Team Canada aren't gods" ? Did he lie ?

Read the Canadian players quotes about Ovechkin's comments.

Ovechkin is well versed in English, and he knows exactly what he said.

Try to defend it all you like, but it was a taunt. Ovechkin has a history of doing this.

EroCaps said:
Ovechkin scored the EN goal to seal the game, skated to the Russian bench and tugged at his Russian crest to a few fans yelling at him through the glass. Malkin skated by the US bench. IMO, to call either "taunting" was a huge reach but if you watch the game Malkin looks more flagrant.

Ovechkin was yapping at the US bench after he scored, let's get all of the facts straight please.

Malkin skated past the US bench and was trying to hi-five the players.

There is no difference between what he did and what Ovechkin did.

Mothra said:
I wasnt at the game....but I watched it.....I saw Ovechkin pulling his sweater at the crowd...and it looked like a lot of talking was being done on the ice....from both sides

the big discussion has always been how AO celebrated his game clinching EN goal.....he did not skate right in front of the US bench as EM did after the next goal......that move by EM was very Barnaby like

As I said, AO was jawing at the US bench after his EN goal.

If you are going to condemn Malkin, then don't be a homer and let AO off the hook.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
And what did they say ? AO is wrong and they are young Gods ?

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
http://boards.washingtoncaps.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20227

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Try to defend it all you like, but it was a taunt. Ovechkin has a history of doing this.
Try to explain what was a "taunt" there , in quote ... without "I said it was a taunt and that's all because I said" ? And ,please, provide me a history. Other than game against USA I failed to see something.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The whole end of that game is one of the most overblown and overdiscussed topics in recent hockey history. Who cares, they're younger than most of us are... get over it.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
love to.....link?

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

Well versed? You gotta be kidding......the guy wants to...and tries his best at english, to his credit.....but if you think he is "well versed" you either arent being honest....or are not playing with a full deck. When he speaks english it is pretty broken as he searches for any words out of the complete ordinary.....the language barrier is quite obvious

please show us this history you speak of

<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
As I said, AO was jawing at the US bench after his EN goal.

If you are going to condemn Malkin, then don't be a homer and let AO off the hook.

How am I letting anyone "off the hook"? I think the whole thing was waaaaay overblown...and how am I condemning him? The original poster said he "seems to possess a more mature professional attitude when compared to Kovalchuk and Ovechkin" How is that so? What supports that claim?...

and....if you are slamming AO for this....and at the same time say "There is no difference between what he did and what Ovechkin did"...shouldnt you take of the homer goggles and slam EM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->