Carter vs Kostitsyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
SportBoy said:
2003 10th pick Kostitsyn, 11 Jeff Carter... Does the Montreal Canadiens made a error there?

IMO, yes. Carter is the complete package. Can beat you and be an asset in more ways. And while Kostitsyn has a lot of upside, I actually like the fact Carter is not only a mature player but has tons of upside himself.

He can become a big #1 center every team covets, although I'd like to see him on the wing as well. Attitude, skill, size, mobility, upside... he has it all.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
seems like it but Carter wasnt projected to be 11th in the draft either. Right now i' take Carter in a heartbeat but the way Kostitsyn played against the U.S gave me hope.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Carter by a huge margin.

Maturity, Size, Skills , And has a future captain written all over him.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Not a big error. Kostytsin still has the talent of a First overall draft pick. The reason he fell to 10th was due to health, which has turned out not to be much of a problem. Also consider that playing for Belorus, a weak team that went nowhere and made few headlines, he escaped much of the hype generated by the Canadian and Russian Stars.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
huge margin? why because he looked more dominant? Obviously, he's playing with sick players on the most dominant team in Junior History ...on the 2nd line..

Would Kostitsyn come close to ranking the goals and pts that Carter got if he was put in the same situation..I say probarbly..so you never know.

3rd- While Carter is a safer bet, Kost upside remains higher, with Chipchura in for the Habs, do they really need Carter that much or can they take a chanec on Kost?
I say go for the chance..

WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL...

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
No doubt about Kostitsyn's skills. he's very talented.
I picked Carter because he will be more a role player. He'll score, hit, defend and stick up for his team mates. A more physical Sundin.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Komisarek8 said:
huge margin? why because he looked more dominant? Obviously, he's playing with sick players on the most dominant team in Junior History ...on the 2nd line..

Would Kostitsyn come close to ranking the goals and pts that Carter got if he was put in the same situation..I say probarbly..so you never know.

3rd- While Carter is a safer bet, Kost upside remains higher, with Chipchura in for the Habs, do they really need Carter that much or can they take a chanec on Kost?

WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL...

agreed on the part of who has much upside. its Kostitsyn. Carter will play more a simple mistake-free style but will still produce...the role-playing, leader abilities made me pick him.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Komisarek8 said:

WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL...

It's not a prospect like Chipchura that will make Carter a luxury for a team, man. In fact, even teams stacked with talent up the middle would be wise to grab such a talent.

And if it's way too early to tell, why are you sporting that very precocious "Kostitsyn is the FUTURE" avatar? Methink you only say "it's too early to tell" when it suits you and put on the tricolore blinders the rest of the time.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
At the time Montreal picked the most talented player available at #10.

But Carter keeps getting better and would be Montreal's choice now if they could redo that draft.

AgentNaslund*

NO questions asked. Carter in a heart beat. He is gonna be good no matter what. He has a career ahead him, while the other guy, can be real good, but at the same, time his chance of screwing up, is way higher then Carters. On top of that, Dustin Brown would have been a way better choice. But everyone makes some errors. How bout Nashville and ATlanta, missing out on hitting machine? After this Performance, Edmonton probably wishes they took Stewart or Richards, over that skinny guy.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
At the time Montreal picked the most talented player available at #10.

But Carter keeps getting better and would be Montreal's choice now if they could redo that draft.

actually, it would probably be Bergeron. But if I had to pick today between Kostitsyn and Carter, it would be Carter, because I've seen him more and he's impressed each time I've seen him.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
The point here. If the draft would have to be remake now. Carter would be gone (might as well say long gone...) comes 10th pick.

Kosty is fine, it's also true if given the Carter place this past tournament, he would have scores somes. But this is all guessing and right now, Carter is a better prospect that Kosts. Which will be the best player remains to be see and that's why i like Kost with Montreal, we just dont know yet.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
sonnytheman said:
actually, it would probably be Bergeron. But if I had to pick today between Kostitsyn and Carter, it would be Carter, because I've seen him more and he's impressed each time I've seen him.

Agreed, I forgot about him. I was only thinking of the two prospects in question, but I agree Montreal would probably like to have Bergeron.

CH Wizard

Carter , by not a huge margin though.Carter has all the tools to become a future #1 center.He has great skills , he's playing with grit.He can hit so he's the complete package.Kostitsyn has a lot of upside though.It's a matter of time for Kostitsyn.Too much persons are jumping on him so early.We'll have to give him atleast a year or two.He cam from a country like Belarus to play in N-A.The level of competition isn't the same if you ask me.He can't talk english.He can't understand the coach properly.That's why we'll have to wait and giv ehim some years.

I don't the point of saying that Carter was way more dominant then Kost int eh WJC.Carter was playing with better teammates.He was playing with the best team period.Kostisyn did well with one of the worst team in the tourney.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I think that Carter is more of a sure thing. I like him alot and expect him to develop into a point-per-game first line centre. Kostitsyn, I agree is being put down too early. He's been struggling in the AHL but turned in a good performance at the WJC. Time will tell how good Kostitsyn turns out.

HockeyBestFan

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
MojoJojo is right Kostytsin has the tools to be the first overall pick just his health is a concern... Still, I prefer Kostytsin since he should be more exciting to watch than Carter.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
at draft time, I wanted Kostytsin but I am glad that Clarke selected Carter. like most of you are saying, Carter should be a special player. I also think that Kos has the tools to be a special player.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Komisarek8 said:

WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL...

Chipchurra isn;t even in the same league as Carter so that argument isn't warrented... Chipchurra is a checker who can get an avg amount of points in junior and he's an awesome leader... I think it was a good pick for the Canadiens BUT in no way should it make them not want Carter. Carter can hit SCORE and dominates in a cycle game plus his hands are coming along nicely..

Kostitsyn is a good skilled player and I hope he does well because I like him.. but if this draft was re done Carter would be taken in the top 5 more than likely...

Not a bad pick by the Canadiens.. But Carter would have been a better one

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Don't swallow Woodlief's crap . Kostitsyn was never a 1st overall talent, with or without the injury concern. In fact, even perfectly healthy, he's not even one of the ten best prospects out of this draft, much less the top player.

He's still very good, though. But so are many players in this draft.

This is just the usual tidbit Woodlief puts in Ragline to get people to talk. People constantly refer to his upside. Well, that's the 2003 draft for. It's got a ton of prospects with top flight upside. He was never going to be the #1 overall pick in this draft, period.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Kostitsyn sucks, I watch practically every home game of his and he's brutal. Maybe he has skills, but he falls over if you sneeze on him. He's not going anywhere until he hardens up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad