Player Discussion: Carter Verhaeghe

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Was at the game Sat and said right before his pass to TJ in the slot, "Come on Verhaege do something! Anything!!" Hope now that hes on the board he gets going.

Tropical Ice

Nov 29, 2018
Did my words offend you? Let me re phrase it.

I think he stinks and I wouldn’t want him on my team.
This won't age well. Easy to see he's going to be top 6 guy, I personally wish we went after guys with more size and a nasty disposition and not another small soft speed guy, but it is what it is.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Played the game of his life tonight.

The kid has enough skill to score in the NHL. The question, I think, is whether or not he adapts mentally with some consistency. Like knowing how much time he has with the puck, how much space he has, etc. We're starting to see some encouraging signs now. Tonight was obviously the biggest.

Also, with the goal that got taken back when it was realized Verhaeghe had. Actually scored 30 seconds earlier, it was Verhaeghe who set up Stephens.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What a game by Verhaeghe! Hopefully him playing with Stephens is the start of something great! Go prove us wrong kid!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Another thing I've noticed is that his teammates seem to really like him. I know that's not something you can really KNOW, but when he was struggling to get his first NHL goal, guys went way, way, out of their way to feed him pucks. More than what you normally see. We saw the same thing last night when he had two goals--nobody seemed interested in anything but getting him a hat trick. And once he had the hat trick, there was a play where Maroon had a puck right in front and he fed it off to Verhaeghe. Maroon normally isn't that kind of player. I think this CV's teammates really want him to succeed.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Played the game of his life tonight.

The kid has enough skill to score in the NHL. The question, I think, is whether or not he adapts mentally with some consistency. Like knowing how much time he has with the puck, how much space he has, etc. We're starting to see some encouraging signs now. Tonight was obviously the biggest.

Also, with the goal that got taken back when it was realized Verhaeghe had. Actually scored 30 seconds earlier, it was Verhaeghe who set up Stephens.
Honestly i'm kinda thinking its his skating. He doesn't have a fast first step when I watch him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Honestly i'm kinda thinking its his skating. He doesn't have a fast first step when I watch him.

Maybe. He's always seemed both slow and fast at the same time, so it might be a first step thing. But lots of players have overcome that problem.

He's been creating a lot lately though, and we're getting glimpses of a goal-scorer's shot.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Maybe. He's always seemed both slow and fast at the same time, so it might be a first step thing. But lots of players have overcome that problem.

He's been creating a lot lately though, and we're getting glimpses of a goal-scorer's shot.
Yeah, thats kinda what i'm getting at. His first step makes him seem like he is always way out of the play but really, he is a good shooter and has some offensive talent but if he can just get a pinch of explosiveness that a guy like Stephens has, i'll be extremely happy if not elated with our fourth line. I think a few more of those shots end up in the back of the net.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
office-2019020663-verhaca95.png

71% on the Draw, Draws a penalty, 3 Goals, in 12 minutes. This guy is a bum, I have no idea why he is on the team. #BringBackJoseph.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I was always a fan of Verhaeghe when I saw him play with the Sound tigers. Never understood why Snow traded him for ANOTHER goalie. I just think Snow was trying to corner the market on mediocre goalies...
Wish he was still with the Isles, really think he is going to be a pretty good NHL player. My question is does he play center or wing for the Lightning? Guys mature and peak at different ages and I think Verhaeghe is going to stick- good luck.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
His hands/release on the last goal fed by Kuch show he has tons of offensive skill.

The questions Are:

Can he keep up the skating pace of last game?

Can he stop panicking and making dumb turnovers?

We need more consistency!!

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
His hands/release on the last goal fed by Kuch show he has tons of offensive skill.

The questions Are:

The most skill showing goal he scored against Van is his 1st one IMO, the one it was believed to be on the crossbar.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i was sure cv could play 4th line and be very productive but i was wrong thank god for stephens and him finally meshing he has disappointed me so far but is a long season and as weve seen IE cirelli sometimes tabkes a bit of time then they blow up:) hoping that is case is def chemistry going on big time chemistry happy for him and US

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

The questions Are:

He's a fourth liner, I really think you need to temper your expectations for what he should be.

What he should be?
-Good at faceoffs (so far, so-so)
-Chip in just a little offensively, 20 points is a great target for the season for him
-Average to slightly above average defensively (slowly making progress, only played 29/42 games)

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
i was sure cv could play 4th line and be very productive but i was wrong thank god for stephens and him finally meshing he has disappointed me so far but is a long season and as weve seen IE cirelli sometimes tabkes a bit of time then they blow up:) hoping that is case is def chemistry going on big time chemistry happy for him and US
I think you're really starting to see him come into form. Having a bit more speed on that line with him allows him to move a little more, and create some new offensive opps. Its good stuff and I hope it continues. If we can nail down this fourth line before the trade deadline i'll be extremely happy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stephens and Gourde are all about pressure. That seems to open things up for Veraheghe, who's been showing some flashes of genuine skill.

He's about to play his 30th game in the NHL. That's really nothing. Nobody's saying he's gonna be a superstar, but, to me, he looks like a guy with the skillset to be a quality NHL player. I think you have to look at things like "how he struggles to make good decisions and/or realize how much, or little, time and space he has" and chalk them up to inexperience. We saw a lot of the same things with Marchessault early on. I'm not saying Verhaeghe has that kind of skillset, but I do think he's just now adapting to the pace of the NHL.

He had a great pre-season, which shows what he can do in slower, less intense games, but against NHL talent. It's taken him a little while to find that next notch up, but I think he's finding it now. If he gives us a quality 10 minutes per night, and the odd bit of offensive production, that's all we really need for now. But I think there's room for him to grow into a decent complementary scorer.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He's a fourth liner, I really think you need to temper your expectations for what he should be.

What he should be?
-Good at faceoffs (so far, so-so)
-Chip in just a little offensively, 20 points is a great target for the season for him
-Average to slightly above average defensively (slowly making progress, only played 29/42 games)

he’s a bad 4th liner tho,

Players like Stephens can adapt to that role

Ie. Connor brown playing 4th line in Toronto

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
he’s a bad 4th liner tho,

Players like Stephens can adapt to that role

Ie. Connor brown playing 4th line in Toronto

We sort of have two 3rd lines now that Killer is playing with Paquette. We don't really have a traditional 4th line anymore, and I think that's why we're starting to see flashes from CV. IMO he looked good again against Arizona, particularly on the PP. He QB'd the second unit late in the game.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
When he has the puck in the offensive zone you can see he has finally adapted to the NHL, with a bit better skating I don't see why he cannot be a player similar to a Kevin Labanc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->