Player Discussion: Carter Verhaeghe

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'd rather have Kreider instead, it'd cost less to acquire him and he provides something this team is in need of. To get Hall is interesting on paper, he's extremely skilled. His defensive game 5v5 is more than suspect tho and I'm afraid he might disappear once the refs will stop refereeing (conditional tense). He had a strong offensive production in his short playoffs experience so far (5 games only !) but if my memory serves me right, he was a big defensive liability the whole series against the Bolts.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Oh great another garbage game by Verhaeghe. So timid with the puck.
Can we please end this experiment so we don't have to keep posting in this thread?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Joseph was flying all over the place, finishing checks and made plays based off his speed alone even when he first came into the league. Verhaeghe has looked tentative and soft as butter, and seems incapable of possessing the puck for more than two seconds. Yes it's still early and he has shown glimpses alongside more skilled players, but I was hoping for more tenacity and energy without the puck. Tons of drive-bys, almost no physical play and missed opportunities galore. I feel for the guy but he hasn't brought it like Joseph did in his rookie year, yet.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Joseph was flying all over the place, finishing checks and made plays based off his speed alone even when he first came into the league. Verhaeghe has looked tentative and soft as butter, and seems incapable of possessing the puck for more than two seconds. Yes it's still early and he has shown glimpses alongside more skilled players, but I was hoping for more tenacity and energy without the puck. Tons of drive-bys, almost no physical play and missed opportunities galore. I feel for the guy but he hasn't brought it like Joseph did in his rookie year, yet.
Yeah and Joseph, even with his speed, was getting f***ing bulldozed by people constantly in his first season.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah and Joseph, even with his speed, was getting ****ing bulldozed by people constantly in his first season.

Didn't slow him down. Reminiscent of Dana Tyrell, to an extent. Joseph takes his lumps and keeps on going. Verhaeghe has been physically overmatched himself, loses battles and takes hits regularly without dishing anything out in return. If he were a tenacious puck-hound or defensive wizard that would be one thing, but alas he has quite the vanilla skillset and is lacking in most aspects of the game at this level. It seems like the speed of the NHL is causing him trouble, moreso than Joseph who is better suited to an "energy" role and has the speed to overcome other deficiencies.

Reactions: Tropical Ice

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Pretty bang on, putting both in the same boat is idiotic.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
"But that’s all dependent on the coaching staff giving him an opportunity to do so." I think he's been given enough opportunity already. People say things like, "he's not a fourth liner." That's fine. Probably true. But he has been given a chance on other lines as well (at least one other line, if no more). Maybe the floodgates open once he gets a goal. He's had his chances and hasn't finished (that's not a necessarily a problem unique to him on this team). I doubt anybody here wants him to be bad. I think many expect more from him. Are people expecting too much? I don't think so. Not unless more than one point is expecting too much. Seriously, I hope he works out. We could use it this season.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Didn't slow him down. Reminiscent of Dana Tyrell, to an extent. Joseph takes his lumps and keeps on going. Verhaeghe has been physically overmatched himself, loses battles and takes hits regularly without dishing anything out in return. If he were a tenacious puck-hound or defensive wizard that would be one thing, but alas he has quite the vanilla skillset and is lacking in most aspects of the game at this level. It seems like the speed of the NHL is causing him trouble, moreso than Joseph who is better suited to an "energy" role and has the speed to overcome other deficiencies.
It slowed him down AND got him hurt. He doesn't take his lumps and keep going, he played 70 games last year. When you extrapolate that a bit more, average 3 games a week, he missed a month of hockey. His playing style will take a toll on him if he doesn't better protect himself, but that is a different tangent.

I think Carter can actually produce but they need to give the guy more than 20-40 second shifts like 2-3 times a period. No player will succeed or survive in that role. Honestly i'd like to see the bottom six get an average of 1-1.5 minutes more a game for everyone and cut that ice time for the top forwards while they're banged up. That sample would be a bit more indicative of his talent level, fit, and finish.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
It slowed him down AND got him hurt. He doesn't take his lumps and keep going, he played 70 games last year. When you extrapolate that a bit more, average 3 games a week, he missed a month of hockey. His playing style will take a toll on him if he doesn't better protect himself, but that is a different tangent.

I think Carter can actually produce but they need to give the guy more than 20-40 second shifts like 2-3 times a period. No player will succeed or survive in that role. Honestly i'd like to see the bottom six get an average of 1-1.5 minutes more a game for everyone and cut that ice time for the top forwards while they're banged up. That sample would be a bit more indicative of his talent level, fit, and finish.

I mean, I don't wholly disagree with your points. Just think Joseph was far more effective when he came into the league vs. Verhaeghe at this stage. In the absence of offense, Joseph still brought numerous attributes to the table while Verhaeghe has not.

Reactions: Tampacuseforever

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Verhaeghe has been god awful and I don't get how anyone can defend it. he could score 2 tonight and it wouldn't change my mind.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I don’t think CV Is any good yet, but yeah he hasn’t been given a chance. Joseph is who I expected more from. We already have a guy who is fast and can miss Wide open nets (gourde).

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
CV will never be an NHL regular on the Tampa Bay Lightning. Definitely telling that the coaching staff went with an extra defenseman and Conacher over him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yea was hoping to see Joseph take a step forward. He hasnt done that yet.

He has 4 ES goals, which ties him for 3rd on the team behind Point and Palat who have 5. He does that with the least amount of time on ice amongst forwards besides Maroon. It's hard for him or Verheaghe to impress getting 10 shifts a game to try to make something happen. Our secondary pieces haven't been the problem, our top players outside the PP and poor defense have been.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He has 4 ES goals, which ties him for 3rd on the team behind Point and Palat who have 5. He does that with the least amount of time on ice amongst forwards besides Maroon. It's hard for him or Verheaghe to impress getting 10 shifts a game to try to make something happen. Our secondary pieces haven't been the problem, our top players outside the PP and poor defense have been.

Fair point. I completely agree in that our teams issues are attributed to our top players not producing. (I partially blame the line combos)

That said, Verhaeghe is garbage and won’t be on this starting roster (if healthy) much longer.
I don’t get how people here don’t see how bad he is playing. It makes my brain hurt.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Joseph also didn't get to see time with the top 6.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Yea hes done that pretty quietly. I guess I was hoping he would play his way into the top 6 this year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Fair point. I completely agree in that our teams issues are attributed to our top players not producing. (I partially blame the line combos)

That said, Verhaeghe is garbage and won’t be on this starting roster (if healthy) much longer.
I don’t get how people here don’t see how bad he is playing. It makes my brain hurt.

I know you're a Verheaghe hater and you think I'm a Verheaghe lover so we won't agree. I just don't see how you can keep saying how bad he's been. Yes the results haven't been there point wise but his advanced stats are good. He's played 13 games and his shots for to shots against while on ice is a +21, Witkowski played 12 games and he was a -50. People thought Witkowski was ok because he hit everything but that was because he was running around in the D zone getting crushed with shots against. It's also not like Verheaghe is starting in the ozone more either, he's been deployed for dzone starts more than offensive ones. Yes he doesn't hit, block shots or do much else but he's not Witkowski bad. His shot for number is the 3rd best amongst forwards, he just isn't getting any luck with points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->