Player Discussion: Carter Verhaeghe

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
He hasn't been bad, hasn't been on the ice with a lot of goals scored or even shots against, his line has had it's share of offensive zone time and shots, he just can't finish and his linemates haven't really either. So I can see why his advanced stats are good. His play has been average, I thought he would transition much better but he's playing way too scared to make a mistake which is killing what made him so good in Syracuse.
It took him years to adapt to the AHL. Who knows how it turns out but he’s not a forth line guy.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
obviously i dont think hes one of our best players, dotchin taught me my lesson about small samples. (also i didnt use advanced stats to back dotchin, that was back when i DID use eye test. anyway)

but so far verhaeghe has been solid. cant complain.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
obviously i dont think hes one of our best players, dotchin taught me my lesson about small samples. (also i didnt use advanced stats to back dotchin, that was back when i DID use eye test. anyway)

but so far verhaeghe has been solid. cant complain.
We definitely are not watching the same Lightning games then

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Carter looked more confident and had a couple nice plays now that he’s playing on a line with more talented players. Baby steps in the right direction.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He had a very good night, which stood out because 80% of the team was awful. Would've been nice to see him pick up a goal. I think Hose was right though--we can't play him with plugs and expect him to shine. Since putting a touch of talent on his line, he's played very well.

Reactions: JAY7791

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
my thing with him is im not expecting point or cirelli but im expecting him to play hard and smart which i think he has... i do not see him as a difference maker like hope cirelli becomes and joseph but think he can play 4th line and play it smart and NOT hurt us.... in time maybe he is useful enough to make killorn expendable but i figure will probably be someone else in long run who takes that spot

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He had a very good night, which stood out because 80% of the team was awful. Would've been nice to see him pick up a goal. I think Hose was right though--we can't play him with plugs and expect him to shine. Since putting a touch of talent on his line, he's played very well.

Would love to see him produce a little bit and get rewarded with some more ice time. A bigger body than we are used to.. with some skill. Who needs that???

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Had a strong game against NJ but otherwise, meh. I agree that he isn't suited for a 4th line role but would still like to see him finish more checks and show some confidence with the puck. He has been pretty soft so far in his limited role, and while he hasn't been bad per se, I don't see Verhaeghe making too many plays to offset his lack of grit and experience.

Just think he could be a bit more assertive in a few areas if he wants to stay in this league as a bottom 6 guy. I would've thought he'd get a chance to build off the last game but looks like he is scratched again.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Let’s cut to the chase here and stop wasting time.

Verhaeghe is not a solid NHL player.

He is bogging down our top 6 and I for one am ready for this experiment to end.

We are a Stanley cup contender. Not the Detroit Red Wings

Reactions: Zwui21

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's just not good enough right now. Rather have Volkov playing

He's not good enough but neither is Volkov. I don't get why everyone keeps saying to put Volkov in he's better when he really isn't. Verheaghe crushed him in scoring the past two seasons in Syracuse so he deserves the look till Volkov can put up close to numbers Verheaghe did down there. If we want someone who will play a two way game with some physical play and average offense we should call up Stephens who has a higher ppg in the AHL the last two years than Volkov did. I like Volkov as a prospect but he isn't some sure thing top 6 winger some think. He's starting to remind me a bit of Erne with big preseasons, average AHL numbers and struggling at the NHL level.

As for Verheaghe not sure what his deal is, he just looks a bit overwhelmed out there. He isn't playing with the confidence and swagger he did in Syracuse. He isn't hurting the team at all but not really helping too much. I would like to see him score a goal to see if that gets him out of his funk.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He's not good enough but neither is Volkov. I don't get why everyone keeps saying to put Volkov in he's better when he really isn't. Verheaghe crushed him in scoring the past two seasons in Syracuse so he deserves the look till Volkov can put up close to numbers Verheaghe did down there. If we want someone who will play a two way game with some physical play and average offense we should call up Stephens who has a higher ppg in the AHL the last two years than Volkov did. I like Volkov as a prospect but he isn't some sure thing top 6 winger some think. He's starting to remind me a bit of Erne with big preseasons, average AHL numbers and struggling at the NHL level.

As for Verheaghe not sure what his deal is, he just looks a bit overwhelmed out there. He isn't playing with the confidence and swagger he did in Syracuse. He isn't hurting the team at all but not really helping too much. I would like to see him score a goal to see if that gets him out of his funk.

He isn’t hurting the team? He’s god awful and he’s on Stamkos right wing. This NEEDS to be addressed by playoffs.

Reactions: Tampacuseforever

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
ABBA2C8E-893C-4CA7-A39B-A5CBEF7A8B25.png

Who is hurting who though?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Your love for Verheaghe has no bounds. Verheaghe is not a guy that can play with pace. Unless he can figure that out quick he will just be another high end AHL player. As far as any other so called prospects in Syracuse sorry but the cupboard is bare. Conacher and Smith are the only current nhl capable forwards down there.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Your love for Verheaghe has no bounds. Verheaghe is not a guy that can play with pace. Unless he can figure that out quick he will just be another high end AHL player. As far as any other so called prospects in Syracuse sorry but the cupboard is bare. Conacher and Smith are the only current nhl capable forwards down there.

Conacher is not an NHL player anymore. He's turning 30 next month, his significant NHL days are behind him. He might get a call up here or there but he should not be looked at to be a consistent contributor. Smith I can see still carving out a career, not sure why we didn't give him a longer look. He's not that old either, 25 and not turning 26 till towards the end of the season. There is NHL talent in Syracuse just not top end talent, maybe Barré-Boulet, it is more middle to bottom 6 types. Raddysh could possibly be a 2nd liner in the right situation. The cupboard isn't bare is just isn't flush with talent like in the past. This season hasn't been too good yet for prospects, no one has really taken off or shown huge strides yet.

As for Verheaghe he shouldn't be on the 2nd line, he isn't hurting that line but not helping it either. The other lines chemistry has just been too good to breakup. I wouldn't want to waive him either, not that I think he's going to break out, I just feel he is decent depth and would be good to keep around. He's not out there bleeding goals like Witkowski was. If we waive him and he gets claimed then the Crunch lose Smith or Martel who have been two of the top forwards when playing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah we currently have a gaping hole on 2RW. I don't think Volkov or Verhaeghe look ready to take the spot. I guess we could try Joseph up there, but that just makes the third line suck.

I don't know what we have as an option in 'Cuse. Maybe ABB, but he didn't look like a great option in the preseason. I think the trade market is our solution.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Conacher is not an NHL player anymore. He's turning 30 next month, his significant NHL days are behind him. He might get a call up here or there but he should not be looked at to be a consistent contributor. Smith I can see still carving out a career, not sure why we didn't give him a longer look. He's not that old either, 25 and not turning 26 till towards the end of the season. There is NHL talent in Syracuse just not top end talent, maybe Barré-Boulet, it is more middle to bottom 6 types. Raddysh could possibly be a 2nd liner in the right situation. The cupboard isn't bare is just isn't flush with talent like in the past. This season hasn't been too good yet for prospects, no one has really taken off or shown huge strides yet.

As for Verheaghe he shouldn't be on the 2nd line, he isn't hurting that line but not helping it either. The other lines chemistry has just been too good to breakup. I wouldn't want to waive him either, not that I think he's going to break out, I just feel he is decent depth and would be good to keep around. He's not out there bleeding goals like Witkowski was. If we waive him and he gets claimed then the Crunch lose Smith or Martel who have been two of the top forwards when playing.

Verheaghe is 100 percent hurting that line. Wake up

Reactions: Tampacuseforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad