Carter Verhaeghe is currently a top-___ winger in the NHL?

Carter Verhaeghe is currently a top-___ winger in the NHL?

• Top-15

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Top-20

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Top-25

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Top-30

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Lower than Top-30

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Sometimes I wonder how much playing in Florida can make some players get overlooked no matter how good the team currently is. The other question I ask myself is how much a narrative about the player can change with him getting regular PP1 time?

Over the entire league Verhaeghe is currently top-10 in overall goals, top-10 in even strength goals, top-20 in overall points, and leads his (very good) team in 5v5 and even strength goals and points. He is over a point-per-game pace right now and already surpassed his previous season high in powerplay goals, assists and points.

I don't think there is a ton of wingers than clearly in higher tier. (In no particular order) Kucherov, Matthew Tkachuk, Pastrnak, Panarin, Marner, Rantanen, Nylander, Kaprizov, Robertson, probably Stone.

The next tier of wingers I consider close comparisons and I can see that it could be argued either way. (In no particular order) Marchand, Brady Tkachuk, Connor, Keller, Guentzel, Buchnevich, Bratt, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Nugent-Hopkins, Forsberg, Hyman, Fiala, Konecny, maybe some other names.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I went and roughed-in some names of players I had ahead of them and I think it's easy to name 15 wingers, but hard to name many more than 20 so I went with Top-20.

Winger is also a difficult category because there are some cases where I would prefer a top-5 centre, moved over to wing, in lieu of some of the top-20 wingers.
For instance, McDavid isn't a winger but I'd take him at wing over Verhaeghe.
Winger is really the only position that truly suffers this caveat but it's impossible to ignore.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Sometimes I wonder how much playing in Florida can make some players get overlooked no matter how good the team currently is. The other question I ask myself is how much a narrative about the player can change with him getting regular PP1 time?

Over the entire league Verhaeghe is currently top-10 in overall goals, top-10 in even strength goals, top-20 in overall points, and leads his (very good) team in 5v5 and even strength goals and points. He is over a point-per-game pace right now and already surpassed his previous season high in powerplay goals, assists and points.

I don't think there is a ton of wingers than clearly in higher tier. (In no particular order) Kucherov, Matthew Tkachuk, Pastrnak, Panarin, Marner, Rantanen, Nylander, Kaprizov, Robertson, probably Stone.

The next tier of wingers I consider close comparisons and I can see that it could be argued either way. (In no particular order) Marchand, Brady Tkachuk, Connor, Keller, Guentzel, Buchnevich, Bratt, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Nugent-Hopkins, Forsberg, Hyman, Fiala, Konecny, maybe some other names.
Id definitely have Connor, Reinhart, forsberg, Marchand over him.

Then there's the fact players like konecny, Keller are the clear cut best players and drivers of their line, unlike Verhaeghe who is usually 2nd fiddle to Tkachuk or Barkov.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean arguing if he’s #19 or #27 is really getting into the weeds. He’s a 1st line star and one of the best even strength offensive wingers in the league the last two years. His support system and chemistry is great, no doubt about it but he’d be dangerous on any team in the league. Hes also been doing it without absurd SH% as well, although like Reinhart, he’s just a consistently great natural finisher with the puck on his stick.

Like I said after last season…his profile in 22-23 was extremely repeatable and nothing about it was a fluke. And after a somewhat mild start to the year, here we are again. He’s one of the great developmental long shot to star stories in the recent history of the league.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Not comparing Lafreniere to Verhaeghe but Rangers fans know this too well with Lafreniere. Lafreniere is tied for #57 in even strength points (mind you he's played more games than many) but plays on PP2. So he only has 5 points on the PP because our PP2 is garbage. 5 on 5 Lafreniere is solidly a 1st line player this year. But if you ask the average fan on the main boards they think he's Nail Yakupov.

Vincent Trochek who plays on his line btw only has 5 more even strength points (not insignificant but not drastic either) and most fans (rightfully) think he's having a very good year because he gets PP1 time.

I hope I didn't hijack this thread just pointing out it's 100% what you mentioned.

Reactions: Felidae

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad