Confirmed with Link: Carter Verhaeghe extended 3 years 4.2M AAV

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Anyone wanna explain how the hell we gonna find cap space to sign Barkov to an extension or does the front office already know he's a goner after this season?

As for this deal. Very risky. Would have liked to see at least half a season more before signing to extension

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Anyone wanna explain how the hell we gonna find cap space to sign Barkov to an extension or does the front office already know he's a goner after this season?

As for this deal. Very risky. Would have liked to see at least half a season more before signing to extension

Barkov makes 6 now and with Vatrano and Acciari gone next year thats 10 million for Barky. You have to guess with all these signings Zito knows exactly what Barkov wants $$ wise. Like I said in the main board thread it can’t be too high he won’t be able to afford the speeding tickets.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Barkov makes 6 now and with Vatrano and Acciari gone next year thats 10 million for Barky. You have to guess with all these signings Zito knows exactly what Barkov wants $$ wise. Like I said in the main board thread it can’t be too high he won’t be able to afford the speeding tickets.

Gotta factor in that 3M raise for Vergh and what ever Reinhert gets too

I have to agree. Zito must know what Barky wants. I just wanna hear the extension already or are they just getting everything done first and then the last big boom

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Buyout Hornqvist.
Trade Gudas for a late round pick.
Cap goes up by $1m.
ez peezee (emphazis on Z)

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.29.58 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.29.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.29.58 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: Mogo

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
this is great. what I really like about these deals is the term, they're long enough to lock them up and provide us some stability, but not so long as to handcuff us. that was the problem with the matheson contract, not necessarily the AAV, but the term. if verhaeghe underperforms, it's just 3 years and not 7-8 years.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The huge advantage here is that Verhaeghe is still making $1 mill going into this season, so if he puts up those types of numbers again, we've saved quite a bit of money by sealing this now. It may look like a bargain as early as year 1 depending on how this season goes.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Solid signing to be done so early. Should get decent value out of him on-ice. Ver got to do it because if he gets injured tomorrow he's earned next to nothing in his career yet.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think it's a good idea to get him locked up now. If he has another solid season he'll want way more than $4.2M AAV. You take this and run any day of the week, and the term is great too.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Zito taking lots of risks this offseason banking that last year was for real on guys like Bennett, Verhaegs etc.

I like the aggressive approach, just hope it works out. If he repeats the same results, this is a bargain.

Even if there's regression - which would not be unreasonable to expect in cases like Bennett, for example - we've got so many guys who have proven they can score at a 50+ point pace it's incredibly unlikely every single one of them takes a drastic step back in production all in the same year.

Barkov will be Barkov and Huberdeau will be Huberdeau. They've proven who they are by now. We've still got...
  • Bennett
  • Reinhart
  • Duclair
  • Verhaeghe
  • Tippett
  • Honrqvist (maybe)
who could all very easily hit that 50+ point mark you want to see from depth forwards. That's eight guys who can put points on the board on any given night. I see this as rather low-risk, actually, considering the money and term have all been spread around pretty reasonably. Some guys are going to have down years, that's just a given. But for all of the guys listed to really regress strikes me as unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->