Carter-Gionta-Bernier the island of misfit toys

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
These guys might be one of the better third lines in the league and I find it incredible that nobody wanted them.

Carter was picked off waivers, Bernier was signed for peanuts and Gionta toiled in the minors for the better part of a decade.

Kudos to Lou Lamoriello.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One teams junk is another teams treasure!:laugh:

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Easily one of the best bottom 6 lines in hockey. At this point I like them better than Boston's best three 7-12 players. But look at that depth! We need to match this.

Chris Bourque | Chris Kelly | Rich Peverley
Dan Paille | Gregory Campbell | Shawn Thornton

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
They are a part of the bottom 6 more than it's a true 3rd line, but they're playing well. If you watched it closely though, they were pinned back in their own zone during the 1st period today. Their current Corsi stats also indicate they should do better as a true 4th line.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Easily one of the best bottom 6 lines in hockey. At this point I like them better than Boston's best three 7-12 players. But look at that depth! We need to match this.

Chris Bourque | Chris Kelly | Rich Peverley
Dan Paille | Gregory Campbell | Shawn Thornton

I've been pretty impressed with Kris Barch. I don't think Barch-Josefson-Butler is such a terrible line.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I've been pretty impressed with Kris Barch. I don't think Barch-Josefson-Butler is such a terrible line.

I agree. But the lack of size and grit bothers me for a bottom 6 line...it's not a line that is "hard to play against" I think that is an essential component of a bottom 6 line.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Good 3rd line. Great 4th line, one of if not the best 4th line.

Love them for what they did in our run last year and they've continued the great play this year.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Good 3rd line. Great 4th line, one of if not the best 4th line.

Love them for what they did in our run last year and they've continued the great play this year.

They've exceeded my expectations for sure. I expected their production and quality of play on that run to be flukes, but they've kept it up into the season.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They've exceeded my expectations for sure. I expected their production and quality of play on that run to be flukes, but they've kept it up into the season.

I didn't expect it to be a fluke, but I was skeptical they would be as good as they were. I think it truly is the system and the chemistry that makes them so good together. They keep it simple, smart, and effective and it suits each player very well.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Gionta is the real story for me. He's so versatile and really skate. And he's fearless just like his brother. It's amazing that no one ever identified his value for so long and now he solidified his status as a legit NHLer. Love it.

rtr1105

1995 • 2000 • 2003
Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey, USA
This line has great chemistry. Perhaps the best chemistry of any combo of guys on the team. I also like the chemistry between Larsson and Greene as well as Clarky and Elias. But does anyone else think that maybe they should move Carter to center and Gio to LW? Gio and Bernier are probably better in deep than Carter and I think Carter would be a better playmaker, but that's just me. What do you guys think?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Gionta is the real story for me. He's so versatile and really skate. And he's fearless just like his brother. It's amazing that no one ever identified his value for so long and now he solidified his status as a legit NHLer. Love it.

I feel the same way, he's a great story and an example to all minor leaguers that you don't need good numbers to get to the NHL but good overall play can get you there as well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This line has great chemistry. Perhaps the best chemistry of any combo of guys on the team. I also like the chemistry between Larsson and Greene as well as Clarky and Elias. But does anyone else think that maybe they should move Carter to center and Gio to LW? Gio and Bernier are probably better in deep than Carter and I think Carter would be a better playmaker, but that's just me. What do you guys think?

Carter never worked well at C, especially in the D zone. He's better at the point on the defenders and Gionta is smart with giving them an outlet once the puck goes up the boards, he's always there in the right spot. Same with Bernier. That and Carter is a lefty so he's on the left wing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm more comfortable with them as a 4th line than a 3rd line, but they have exceeded expectations for sure. I'm impressed.

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
players that would be getting 3 points a year elsewhere if they could make the nhl at all. this is devils hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad