Player Discussion Carson Soucy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
5 points and +10 in his last 5 games. (ATOI these 5 games - cirka 19.5 minutes)

2 points and +4 last night against Edmonton. Did a solid effort trying to stop the best player on the planet. I'm impressed.

^^ That break up and pass led to Donato's goal. ^^

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You see a guy that's 6'5" and breaks into the league at 25 without ever putting up gaudy offensive numbers at lower levels and hope for a responsible, physical guy that can keep up with the play. Someone that can find his groove and settle in on the bottom pairing.

What floors me is how good he is with the puck on his stick. Not amazing or anything, but... well, kind of amazing relative to expectations. He's like a case-study in why coming to conclusions about players based on stat lines is dangerous.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
The guy on Wild broadcast yesterday had a major crush on him in their last game, felt like he was having a wedding speech at times

Reactions: a79krgm

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he continues to play like this it will give us 5 legit top 4 Dmen. I feel badly for Seeler, because I think he got a raw deal during the Bitetto fiasco, but at this point it's not even close as to who is the better player.

Sure is nice to have the extra size and length out there. Part of me wonders if he hasn't been the one anchoring the third pair all this time.

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
If he continues to play like this it will give us 5 legit top 4 Dmen. I feel badly for Seeler, because I think he got a raw deal during the Bitetto fiasco, but at this point it's not even close as to who is the better player.

Sure is nice to have the extra size and length out there. Part of me wonders if he hasn't been the one anchoring the third pair all this time.
Watching the third pair I think he has been the one anchoring the pair in the D zone at least. Hunt is not as defensively responsible and if you watch the play he tends to leak out of the D zone usually square with the center. Whats amazing to me is that he and Mennell haven't given up more chances because they both are pretty offensively minded. Soucy and Brodin should stay paired together when Spurge gets healthy again, but I don't know who you relegate to bottom pair duties; similar to the Donato situation because I don't think you can justify giving him 4th line duties the way he is producing with more minutes... I think I've said all along Donato is getting screwed playing that line and needs to be given more minutes with better linemates. This is a good problem to have though

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Foligno and Hartman have been really good so far this year. Don't get where Donato is getting screwed playing with them. He has been good the last few games, but was pretty bad earlier. Maybe he's one of those,"top 6, or bust" players, but you better score, and score a lot, if you are going to be a one way forward.

He does seem to look faster playing C. Being able to use the whole ice and not being jammed against the boards is to his advantage.

Anyway, back to Soucy. Hopefully this isn't a mirage, and he has found a new level. He makes mistakes, but seems to have the ability to erase some of them because of his length, and energy. I have seen Hunt coast back a few times in recent games after being caught up ice...he can't do that!

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
At this point, Soucy and Brodin should stay together. Lets see if he can keep up his stellar play and if he does what should be done with Dumba? Do we drop Dumba down to the third pairing or (heaven forbid) use him as trade bait? I guess it would be stupid to do so when his stock is so low. Oh well, it should be interesting when Spurge gets back.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't wanna see Dumba and Hunt together. If anything, it would be Brodin and Hunt, but they can't limit Brodin's minutes because of his partner.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I don't wanna see Dumba and Hunt together. If anything, it would be Brodin and Hunt, but they can't limit Brodin's minutes because of his partner.

Dumba and Hunt would be a catastrophe waiting to happen. Now that Hunt's not producing on the PP he's a total liability Defensively. It would be such a shame if Brodin and Soucy's chemistry has to be broken up just because they have to carry the other two who cant carry their own weight. I do hope Dumba's problem is confidence which in time can be worked through.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s deserved.
He might be good, but gawd damn he ain’t that good lol, dude was gassing him like he came back from dead, broke Greztkys scoring record, brought Gretzky back from retirement and carried his ass to 120+ points.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Hunt could be trade bait and Seeler could come back in with Dumba on bottom pair. Dumba gets extra minuts on PP and then when bench gets short.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see Hunt fetching a lot in trade,though maybe some team could use a PP Dman. I also am not in a hurry to lose him. He has his faults without the puck, but his puck handling and shooting skills are way above average for a 3rd pairing guy.

I am also not ready to hand the reins to Seeler. He has looked shaky and impulsive in the rare time he gets. I think Mennell and Belpedio will be the ones to replace Hunt, should he go. They have some similar skills, can play RD, and are cheap.

Migod, just forgot that Pateryn is still around. He and Spurgeon will probably come back at around the same time. What are we going to do then? Sure as hell aren't benching Soucy, unless he regresses, big time.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
It's a sign of a good organization that can recognize talent quickly and not play favoritism. Soucy had a better camp that Seeler. He got the chance. No more questions. … BTW, what is Soucy's nickname? I mean what do his teammates call him?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
You’re exaggerating.
Should’ve heard the Wild commentator then lol, mine sounds pessimistic and depressing compared to him, it started during break, went on till the play stopped for another break

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's a sign of a good organization that can recognize talent quickly and not play favoritism. Soucy had a better camp that Seeler. He got the chance. No more questions. … BTW, what is Soucy's nickname? I mean what do his teammates call him?

Soucy itself kind of seems like it would be the nickname for something longer

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Soos

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I know it's a bit early for comparables but doesn't he remind you of a Colton Parayko light? May not have the booming shot but his skating and allusiveness are very good and he also keeps his head up for smart and accurate exit passes and stretch passes.

And having Brodin covering the back end he's able to join the rush and actually lead it also.

The pessimism in me is waiting for him to have a bad game.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reminds me more of Brandon Carlo, though he started in the NHL much younger. Parayko Platinum, maybe.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
What are the pairings when Spurgeon and Pateryn come back?

Anybody's guess. Spurgeon will almost definitely re-join Suter on the top, but with the emergence of Soucy and with Brad Hunt being super useful, I'm not sure there's a place for Pateryn, anymore. Either Soucy plays a bit worse and gets sent to Iowa (due to his waiver exemption), or someone gets traded. I think there is an outside chance that Seeler gets waived at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad