Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
McDavid started it. You can’t wield your stick like a baseball bat and expect not to get hit. That said, in the interest of fairness and protecting the guys that sell tickets, both McDavid and Zadorov should get equal punishments. Soucy doesn’t deserve anything, his cross-check was going to be innocuous until Big Z sent McD to the ice wit the Suter-esque stick to the lower back.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
After watching the scrum again, McDavid had his visor so he likely didn't even feel it. Plus he totally embellished it. Zadorov barely even touches him and yet McDavid lunges forward. Should be suspended for the rest of the series for embellishment and using his stick as a weapon to baseball swing on Soucy. But the league is not allowed to suspend the leagues golden boy.
I’m sorry a Flames homer who has been jumping around championing any team playing the Oilers is the least unbiased person ever. Zadorovs cross check knocks over or makes stumble aomits every player in the league.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Matthews is sitting at home as per usual when the 2nd round starts lol

Does McDavid joining him a week later make you feel better?

Also... I think that Rielly's crosscheck is a good comparison, both didn't mean to, and both should be in control of their stick.

Playoffs normally half suspensions, so 3 games?

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Zadarovs cross check was weak at best that's why he got that 5k fine cuz it's was weak, it was a shove from behind that McDavid felt and flopped. McDavids high stick to Hughes was worse, Ryan/Perry slash to Hoglanders nuts was a hell of a lot worse, Kane sticking out his foot and tripping /kneeing Hughes was cheap as shit and worse. Both Nurse crossing checking Pettersson head first into the boards and Myers doing the same to Hyman was f*cken brutal.. Soucy will get 1 game for that but it isn't his fault that McDavid flopped at the exact same moment when Zadorov tapped him.
Well I hope Nucks get these 'weak' 2 handed chops from behind when they are least suspecting it ..
After a period would be even better...

Watch the 'tap' again without Homer glasses on.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
It's not even that I'm annoyed that they're considering discipline, just that they're considering it for Soucy instead of Zadorov.

THAT would be understandable if they were trying to use the reasoning of "protecting the players".

If they suspend Soucy, then f*** it suspend McDavid for the same as him, and Zadorov for longer than both, lol.

I'm sure Canuck fans everywhere would be celebrating in the streets if they could trade Zadorov and Soucy suspensions for a McDavid suspension.

Disregarding the names of the players involved, some fines would be enough. That being said, the NHL absolutely considers who is involved when reviewing these, it does need to protect it's stars, and McDavid is the star. Based on who it was, this should be a 3-5 game suspension. Make an example out of Soucy and send a message to the rest of the league.

• Haha
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
If he straight up gave him the lumber to the face intentionally after the game I would I agree. However McDavid slashed him pretty heavily just before that and was trying to give him back a cross check to the body, but he would see it coming and could take it. Yes a cross-check is illegal, but so is slashing and these things are tolerated. It was a total accident that it hit him in the face as he was falling from another cross check from behind. McDavid got up right afterwards and is fine. Zadorov's shot on McDavid was probably worse and he got a fine, and if anything he should get the 1 game.

We've seen deliberate slew-foots and spearing from the Oilers that went unpunished and were far more dangerous. But since it's the NHL's golden child we're probably gonna get a game for Soucy.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
McDavid started it. You can’t wield your stick like a baseball bat and expect not to get hit. That said, in the interest of fairness and protecting the guys that sell tickets, both McDavid and Zadorov should get equal punishments. Soucy doesn’t deserve anything, his cross-check was going to be innocuous until Big Z sent McD to the ice wit the Suter-esque stick to the lower back.
if im reading the thread properly, even if soucy doesnt hit mcdavid in the face he was trying to collapse his whole chest and murder him

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Zadarovs cross check was weak at best that's why he got that 5k fine cuz it's was weak, it was a shove from behind that McDavid felt and flopped. McDavids high stick to Hughes was worse, Ryan/Perry slash to Hoglanders nuts was a hell of a lot worse, Kane sticking out his foot and tripping /kneeing Hughes was cheap as shit and worse. Both Nurse crossing checking Pettersson head first into the boards and Myers doing the same to Hyman was f*cken brutal.. Soucy will get 1 game for that but it isn't his fault that McDavid flopped at the exact same moment when Zadorov tapped him.
He got the 5K because it was the maximum league could hand out.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
the most suspendable act in this exchange is Zadorov to be completely honest. You could tell by Soucy's reaction that he was shocked that McDavid was suddenly a foot shorter and his crosscheck hit him in the mouth instead of in the chest.

Zadorov doesn't attack from behind as the third man in, Soucy's crosscheck is run of the mill, and nobody gets suspended.
This.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Oilers fan through and through here, but I think both sides at at fault here, and definitely context is important.

If Zadorov had not cross checked McDavid, he would not have gone down to the point where Soucy subsequently cross checks him in the head. Probably would have been in the chest, which is still not great. But still, McDavid's slash on a non hockey play did not help and probably incited what was probably an avoidable series of events (or maybe not). So I think accountability has to be spread on both sides here.

As much as I like McDavid, I think he has tarnished a bit of his reputation with the whining in these playoffs. I say this as an Oilers fan that can overlook some things, but certainly I am more of a fan of the integrity of the game than any one team or player.

I remember I felt the same way at the beginning of Crosby's career when he was whining to the refs about everything. Over time he matured and his play has as well and despite McDavid being uniquely skilled on the ice, I am hoping he too can mature over time, in this area as well.
Not a fan of Edmonton at all, I guess I could be considered neutral here.

I compare this to the Ottawa vs Toronto game where Rielly crossedchecked Grieg and got suspended. DOPS big deal with it was it was after the game - I assume (lol), the same standards will be applied.

Rielly got 5 regular season games for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad