Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
And when those situations happen, it's a penalty not a suspension. Suspensions should be reserved for plays with clear intent to injure. Soucy did not intend to injure, thus it should have been a penalty and potentially a fine.
Pretty hard to penalize when the game is already over. The whole reason you get an automatic suspension for instigating a fight in the last few minutes of a game is to avoid liberties being taken when there is no consequences.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Reckless plays have always been suspendible regardless of intent to injure. I'm on the fence if this one should be suspension worthy, but it is a reckless use of his stick by Soucy. If McDavid for example swung his stick at Soucy's mid section instead of his leg and it ramped up and hit Soucy in the face he'd be having a hearing too. Anytime you try to his a guy high in the chest you're risking that your reckless decision might result in something worse that is unintended and you can be punished for that.
No he wouldn't.

He wasn't suspended or even penalized for either of these.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This was what he responded to:

“You guys hitting four or five goal posts tonight…you generated the chances. How much of that is bearing down, or how much of that is just good goaltending, or luck?”

Answer: “Well, post is not good goaltending, umm but, yeah we can certainly do a better job of bearing down, and like I said, capitalizing on our looks.”

He’s responding to the idiot reporters describing posts being hit as good goaltending, not a slight on Silovs at all.

I don't think he was insulting the goalie. Or not meaning to anyway.
Maybe I did take it wrong then my bad. Thanks for clarifying and looking forward to a great game 4 emotions are definitely high now. Missed playoff hockey !!

Reactions: Video Nasty

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
And when those situations happen, it's a penalty not a suspension. Suspensions should be reserved for plays with clear intent to injure. Soucy did not intend to injure, thus it should have been a penalty and potentially a fine.
I posted this also in the game thread; the NHL is very clear on its rules: your stick is a weapon, and you should always be careful with it. The onus is on the player holding the stick.

Zack Kassian didn't intend to injure Gagner with his stick, yet he was rightfully suspended 8 games for being careless....Intend did play a role, if there was any intend in his action the suspension would had been much much longer, and the police may actually have had talk with him.... But, exactly like in real life, "no intent" does not mean "no responsability". And there is a very very good reason for that, we do not want players to start swinging their sticks accidentally at each stoppage in play.....

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Is being the third man in, with a crosscheck from behind after the final whistle, worth nothing? It can't be 2 minutes because the game was over.

I don't know if you have the plot either my good sir
The hearing isn’t for the player you’re describing. To me that’s the weird part in this. Zadorov had way more impact on that situation than Soucy. It makes little sense.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Response will likely be tomorrow ...
Of it was between periods it would be a different story..
So you don’t think both teams will be warned after an incident resulting in a fine and possible suspension….Man this must be your first rodeo… the time to respond is immediately but we will see I guess…

Aug 3, 2021
Generational superstar nearly had his neck broken off a dirty play. How will the NHL respond? With incompetence is my guess.

The fact that this play happened after the final whistle with the potential to injure and change an entire series should be a consideration by the NHL. But im not holding my breath.
"Nearly had his neck broken off" he says

laugh-michael-jordan.gif

You saw no problem with Nurse boarding Pettersson on the numbers or McDavid high sticking Hughes to the point of drawing blood but now the kleenex comes out when something happens to McDavid.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
A slash to hockey pants vs a crosscheck to the the face.

ROFL .

Some peoples children.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
An incidental high stick is now a swing at a guy's face? Very comparable to a cross check to the face. Please never respond to my posts again.
How about the blatant hit from behind 3 feet, head first into the boards? Is potentially killing a player comparable?

Reactions: LivingRentFree

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

laugh-michael-jordan.gif

You saw no problem with Nurse boarding Pettersson on the numbers or McDavid high sticking Hughes to the point of drawing blood but now the kleenex comes out when something happens to McDavid.
Principle point of contact on the Nurse hit wasn't the numbers, it was the shoulder. Petersson turning away from the hit is why he went into the boards so hard. Even the Canuck homer Bieksa called that. McDavid's accidental high-stick on Hughes was no worse than the high stick on Hyman that was ignored earlier that same game.

But yeah, the broken neck stuff is weird. That's not true either.

Reactions: Artemi Panarin

snag

Feb 22, 2014
‘Incidental high stick’.
😆

It should have certainly been a double minor. But not sure anyone can say it was egregious. He was leaning into a turn and (stupidly) didn't maintain awareness of his stick.

The crosscheck to the face however was a conscious and deliberate decision.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
A slash to hockey pants vs a crosscheck to the the face.

ROFL .

Some peoples children.
Had it been an intentional crosscheck to the head, do you really think that people would be defending it? Let's apply proper nuance to the situation.

Mcdavids head dropped approximately a foot and he got caught under the chin. It's pretty obviously incidental. No logical person would be defending Soucy had McDavid stayed at the same height the entire play.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I posted this also in the game thread; the NHL is very clear on its rules: your stick is a weapon, and you should always be careful with it. The onus is on the player holding the stick.

Zack Kassian didn't intend to injure Gagner with his stick, yet he was rightfully suspended 8 games for being careless....Intend did play a role, if there was any intend in his action the suspension would had been much much longer, and the police may actually have had talk with him.... But, exactly like in real life, "no intent" does not mean "no responsability". And there is a very very good reason for that, we do not want players to start swinging their sticks accidentally at each stoppage in play.....
Where was the NHL on the intentional stick to the nuts on Hoglander?

Reactions: Nopefully

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Had it been an intentional crosscheck to the head, do you really think that people would be defending it? Let's apply proper nuance to the situation.

Mcdavids head dropped approximately a foot and he got caught under the chin. It's pretty obviously incidental. No logical person would be defending Soucy had McDavid stayed at the same height the entire play.

You are supposed to be in control of your stick at all times, no? People get punished all the time in the NHL for things they didn't "mean" to do.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

laugh-michael-jordan.gif

Petterson was hit from the side. Not in the numbers. On a hockey play that happened in the game. Not after the final whistle on a non hockey play done only to injure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad