Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
From who? I’m sure both teams will be warned by the league.
Personally I hope that the Oilers do try to retaliate just like the Leaf players did against Marchand. Canucks PP looks to have come back to life.
We will keep it a surprise

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
And yet every single analyst I have listened to today has expressed disappointment in the lack of response by the Oilers …. I guess everyone else is wrong …weird…
Response will likely be tomorrow ...
Of it was between periods it would be a different story..

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Whatever works I mean look how frustrated your boys are. Drai can't even give credit to a rookie talks about posts. Game 4 should be fun.

This was what he responded to:

“You guys hitting four or five goal posts tonight…you generated the chances. How much of that is bearing down, or how much of that is just good goaltending, or luck?”

Answer: “Well, post is not good goaltending, umm but, yeah we can certainly do a better job of bearing down, and like I said, capitalizing on our looks.”

He’s responding to the idiot reporters describing posts being hit as good goaltending, not a slight on Silovs at all.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
From who? I’m sure both teams will be warned by the league.
Personally I hope that the Oilers do try to retaliate just like the Leaf players did against Marchand. Canucks PP looks to have come back to life.
I don't expect the Oilers to retaliate. They're trying to get Vancouver to take dumb penalties so we can get our powerplay out there. The goal is for the retaliation to be with pucks in the Canucks net. Although I could see some of our bigger hitters "retaliating" with some big hits to Vancouver's star players. Petersson and Hughes sure played worse in game 1 when we were hitting them more, but its hard to hit when you are trying to generate offense to come down from a 2 goal deficit.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Playing that line together isn't ideal either. That's something our fanbase has often questioned too. When we're trailing, or when he wants to get a quick lead or something, Knoblauch tends to put them on the same line, and then double shifts. Trust us, we agree that that we need more balance in deployment. It's a bit of the chicken or egg conversation - do we play the bottom 9 more so they have a better chance to produce, or are they not producing, so we need to play them less? There's no right answer.
I wonder if they’re playing together partly because of whatever is ailing Dra. Asking him to carry his own line while he’s compromised might be tough

Reactions: ziploc

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why is this being looked at? McDavid baseball swings his stick at a guy, and Soucy clearly tries to crosscheck him in the chest as retaliation. Not Soucys fault McDavid crumpled when Zadorov touched him.
that's hardly a baseball swing. A slash, yes.

Soucy tries to crosscheck him in the face but wasn't counting on his teammate cheapshotting McDavid from behind. Either way, you should be responsible for where your crosscheck lands no matter where you intended it to go. There's been several incidents in the past where players are aiming at the shoulder but end up catching a guy in the neck or head.

Soucy should be suspended and he can thank Zadorov for it.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Generational superstar nearly had his neck broken off a dirty play. How will the NHL respond? With incompetence is my guess.

The fact that this play happened after the final whistle with the potential to injure and change an entire series should be a consideration by the NHL. But im not holding my breath.
Seems like they're responding better than any of the other incidents this series where players nearly had their necks broken, so that's good at least.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't expect the Oilers to retaliate. They're trying to get Vancouver to take dumb penalties so we can get our powerplay out there. The goal is for the retaliation to be with pucks in the Canucks net.
Perry was literally screaming at the rest of the Oilers not to engage Zadorov on the bench because he was getting a penalty. Quite literally had his arms out holding the rest of the team back. Dumbass Foegele was out of his wingspan, didn't listen, and took a swat at him.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Generational superstar nearly had his neck broken off a dirty play. How will the NHL respond? With incompetence is my guess.

The fact that this play happened after the final whistle with the potential to injure and change an entire series should be a consideration by the NHL. But im not holding my breath.
Stopped reading at “nearly had his neck broken off”

Good lord

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't expect the Oilers to retaliate. They're trying to get Vancouver to take dumb penalties so we can get our powerplay out there. The goal is for the retaliation to be with pucks in the Canucks net. Although I could see some of our bigger hitters "retaliating" with some big hits to Vancouver's star players. Petersson and Hughes sure played worse in game 1 when we were hitting them more, but its hard to hit when you are trying to generate offense to come down from a 2 goal deficit.
Oilers have been targeting Hughes and EP all series. That won’t change. That’s playoff hockey. Your star players have to be able to fight through that. That said I hope the Oilers get distracted and try to retaliate.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Suspend mcdavid

Game would flow much better without this instigator's whining, diving, and cheap shots
some of these hot takes are insane yet hilarious

yeah, totally having McD not play a game would make the game flow better.. the best player in the world who's constantly makes brilliant plays and attracts people to watch said games.

Canucklehead94

Jul 5, 2012
theralist.ca
that's hardly a baseball swing. A slash, yes.

Soucy tries to crosscheck him in the face but wasn't counting on his teammate cheapshotting McDavid from behind. Either way, you should be responsible for where your crosscheck lands no matter where you intended it to go. There's been several incidents in the past where players are aiming at the shoulder but end up catching a guy in the neck or head.
And when those situations happen, it's a penalty not a suspension. Suspensions should be reserved for plays with clear intent to injure. Soucy did not intend to injure, thus it should have been a penalty and potentially a fine.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
McDavid's actions would never result in injury, very loaded language being used about it.

Never? I'm sure you're fine with this sort of loaded language:

Generational superstar nearly had his neck broken off a dirty play.

He'll be missing at least a game for precautionary measures, since it was such a close call....right? Could we be anymore histrionic?

I dunno, McDavid went down pretty easy. Maybe if he wasn't being played 57 minutes a night he might have better legs under him and the butter soft Canucks wouldn't knock him over.

Reactions: SoupNazi

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
A hearing for a 2 minute minor?

You folks have lost the plot. Just fold the Canadian teams already so the rest of us can get back to the game we love.
Is being the third man in, with a crosscheck from behind after the final whistle, worth nothing? It can't be 2 minutes because the game was over.

I don't know if you have the plot either my good sir

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This just reinforces what I said at the start of the series. The Canucks are at a severe disadvantage because McDavid gets so many soft calls. He's a really dirty player and you can't touch him or you'll be penalized and if you touch him hard suspended. The Canucks are the vastly superior 5 on 5 team though, so if they maintain their discipline and don't get sucked in to retaliating to McDavid's spears and slashes they'll win the series easily.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
And when those situations happen, it's a penalty not a suspension. Suspensions should be reserved for plays with clear intent to injure. Soucy did not intend to injure, thus it should have been a penalty and potentially a fine.
Reckless plays have always been suspendible regardless of intent to injure. I'm on the fence if this one should be suspension worthy, but it is a reckless use of his stick by Soucy. If McDavid for example swung his stick at Soucy's mid section instead of his leg and it ramped up and hit Soucy in the face he'd be having a hearing too. Anytime you try to his a guy high in the chest you're risking that your reckless decision might result in something worse that is unintended and you can be punished for that.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Lol, if McDavid nearly had his neck broken then Hughes nearly lost an eye from McDavid's high stick in Game 2.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Right...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

No they shouldn't. If you intend to throw a legal hit but end up crushing a guy in the head and nothing else, that should be suspended because it was terrible decision-making that should be discouraged.

And intent shouldn't matter in this case either. It's a non-hockey play after the whistle that ended up crosschecking a player in the face.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad