GDT: carphi diem

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I really thought that after the Toronto game, Rod would have an epiphany about the style of this team

Thought with the loss of Pesce and the goalies we would be more of a trapping team. Clog the neutral zone and try to force turnovers

That’s kind of what they are doing. They just aren’t built for it.

Reactions: Tryamw

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Why not call up Jake Bean? We need to score, he can't be any worse defensively than TVR or Edmundson, he is overripe in the A.
RBA wouldn't play him anyways I know, but maybe we have a nice little Cale Makar of 2019 in our own system.

Or since he's a Francis draft pick, we're supposed to hate him and get rid of him ASAP?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I really thought that after the Toronto game, Rod would have an epiphany about the style of this team

Thought with the loss of Pesce and the goalies we would be more of a trapping team. Clog the neutral zone and try to force turnovers

Carolina needs a defensive style clogging the neutral zone, forcing turnovers, and playing more dump and chase when you don't force a turnover?

9e8a4f4e62a67d8adfb52ca7847210f2

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Wouldn't mind seeing some guys like Bishop and Lorrentz in place of Foegele and Dzingel. Those two look AHL caliber the last handful of games so it really wouldn't make a difference. A Fluery - Kaski or Skjei - Kaski pairing could be a nice trial especially with the need for RHD. I know none of this will happen, but it would be nice.

If it's too soon for Kaski I can't fathom McKeown being worse than what we've seen of late from Edmundson. There are plenty of options in Charlotte, let's try one of them especially if Vatanen is out longer.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Not sure what to say but a few points

*my personal whipping boy Staal had a good game and even looked dangerous. He had a few nice passes and played the body. It's like Williams told him he'd go to the slot just get him the puck instead of Staal trying to get there because he's bigger.
*Need played pretty well
*We don't feel dangerous in the offensive zone at all. Are the teams were playing that good at taking away space?
*I still feel like we're not supporting the puck well. Our best game a while back we were stringing 4 to 7 passes together and not just rimming the puck around the boards or trying to stretch pass. That tells me guys are cherry picking or just not skating without the puck. It's really hard to tell on TV.
*It seems like our shape is too wide offensively... probably so we can rim the puck around the boards and the weak side wing or D can retrieve it. I'd rather flood the strong side and let some of our playmakers break down the D with short quick passes. Svech, Necas, TT, Aho all have those skills. Hell Nino and Williams even Staal can.
*Slavin has quietly gotten more physical. He used to just skate with people and poke check them. It's like at some point he decided it's less work to throw them down with his free hand instead of doing all that work.

Maybe I just really don't like the system were playing? This team doesn't look well coached or motivated to me. Maybe Gallant will be here next year. I think we're a lot more talented on paper than our results.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Edmondson played 23:26 last night
:puppy::puppy::madfire::madfire::help::help::damnpc::damnpc::damnpc::damnpc::damnpc::banghead::banghead::banghead::soap::soap::soap::soap:
If it's too soon for Kaski I can't fathom McKeown being worse than what we've seen of late from Edmundson. There are plenty of options in Charlotte, let's try one of them especially if Vatanen is out longer.
McKeown is just a steady guy, and while he may be NHL-replacement level, I think he could be a decent #6/7 steady guy...I see no reason to think he couldn't competently replace this year's version of TVR (and much cheaper). I would also like to see Kaski a bit this year because I think if he doesn't can't guarantee an NHL spot next year, he'll bolt back overseas (like Melatonin this year). And I would HATE to see us let him go, not even try him with our RHD injuries, and have another team pick him up and he plays like Adam Fox.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Not sure what to say but a few points

*my personal whipping boy Staal had a good game and even looked dangerous. He had a few nice passes and played the body. It's like Williams told him he'd go to the slot just get him the puck instead of Staal trying to get there because he's bigger.
*Need played pretty well
*We don't feel dangerous in the offensive zone at all. Are the teams were playing that good at taking away space?
*I still feel like we're not supporting the puck well. Our best game a while back we were stringing 4 to 7 passes together and not just rimming the puck around the boards or trying to stretch pass. That tells me guys are cherry picking or just not skating without the puck. It's really hard to tell on TV.
*It seems like our shape is too wide offensively... probably so we can rim the puck around the boards and the weak side wing or D can retrieve it. I'd rather flood the strong side and let some of our playmakers break down the D with short quick passes. Svech, Necas, TT, Aho all have those skills. Hell Nino and Williams even Staal can.
*Slavin has quietly gotten more physical. He used to just skate with people and poke check them. It's like at some point he decided it's less work to throw them down with his free hand instead of doing all that work.

Maybe I just really don't like the system were playing? This team doesn't look well coached or motivated to me. Maybe Gallant will be here next year. I think we're a lot more talented on paper than our results.

I am also curious about who thinks the players have motivational issues. Can someone with far more knowledge than I please explain how this isn't a coaching issue?

Isn't it Rods job to have the players not only motivated to play, but also to prepare them with a working strategy? I think that we've been using the remnants of Bill Peters system.

There was a post on this website that brought this point up earlier, im sorry I dont remember who posted it, but what if Rod is just not good enough at the X and O's to adjust for our lack of talent?

It seems to me that if we could change our strategy we may have more success.

Last edited:

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Why not call up Jake Bean? We need to score, he can't be any worse defensively than TVR or Edmundson, he is overripe in the A.
RBA wouldn't play him anyways I know, but maybe we have a nice little Cale Makar of 2019 in our own system.

Or since he's a Francis draft pick, we're supposed to hate him and get rid of him ASAP?

Borg waiting until we're eliminated so he can play 7 minutes a night over the last couple weeks of the season.

Reactions: Tryamw

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I am also curious about who thinks the players have motivational issues. Can someone with far more knowledge than I please explain how this isn't a coaching issue?

Isn't it Rods job to have the players not only motivated to play, but also to prepare them with a working strategy. I think that we've been using the remnants of Bill Peters system.

There was a post on this website that brought this point up earlier, im sorry I dont remember who posted it, but what if Rod is just not good enough at the X and O's to adjust for our lack of talent?

The issue is one of starting on time and one of a failure to adjust to the significant injuries. The Cane’s system works on the backs of an elite defense - in that:
1) secondary scoring is generated from the D losing a Dougie having a Norris quality season killed us here
2) quality defensive play in transition - it’s a high risk high reward system and Pesce mitigated a ton of that risk.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Wouldn't mind seeing some guys like Bishop and Lorrentz in place of Foegele and Dzingel. Those two look AHL caliber the last handful of games so it really wouldn't make a difference. A Fluery - Kaski or Skjei - Kaski pairing could be a nice trial especially with the need for RHD. I know none of this will happen, but it would be nice.

At some point, we have to accept that this just isn't going to happen. They kept Necas down all season, and they'll keep Bean and everyone else down all season. During the season, they look at the AHL club as emergency replacements only. It's evidently the way it is. We adjust from season-to-season, not in-between.

Isn't it Rods job to have the players not only motivated to play, but also to prepare them with a working strategy. I think that we've been using the remnants of Bill Peters system.

Roddy can't force these guys to be motivated.

I could be the best physical trainer in the history of mankind, but you won't get stronger unless you motivate yourself to do the work. I can tell you to get motivated. I can suggest it to you. I can give you reasons to be motivated. But if you're determined to half-ass your workouts and eat like crap, you're going to half-ass your workouts and eat like crap.

At the end of the day, NHL players are adults, and they are responsible for their own actions.

I'm 100 per cent certain that Brind'Amour and the rest of the coaches, management and staff are getting the point across to the players that this isn't good enough. I'm 100 per cent certain that what Brindy expects of his players is exactly the same thing he expected from his players in the Eastern Conference Final last season. It works.

The problem right now is that the players aren't playing well. Part of that is that we've lost a few very key players who played vital roles. Any team struggles without players like that (see Blue Jackets, Columbus).

But *how* we're struggling is unacceptable. You can't always see it, but it's in the details. A player has a chance to get into a shooting lane but slides imperceptibly out of the way instead. A forward goes to bump an opponent's hard rim back to his defenseman behind the net, but isn't hard enough on his stick and misses. Players take one-handed swipes at the puck instead of playing the man. Players pull up on checks. Players don't stick up for each other. Players refuse to go into the hard areas, and even when they do, they're not prepared for the battle. Slow and sloppy line changes.

The *will* to do the hard things just isn't there right now. They know. They understand. They *want* to, just like everyone wants to go to the gym and get in shape. It's not a question of what they "want." It's a question of *will*.

Are they *willing* to pay the price? Right now, the answer is no, and that's not on Rod.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
At some point, we have to accept that this just isn't going to happen. They kept Necas down all season, and they'll keep Bean and everyone else down all season. During the season, they look at the AHL club as emergency replacements only. It's evidently the way it is. We adjust from season-to-season, not in-between.

Roddy can't force these guys to be motivated.

I could be the best physical trainer in the history of mankind, but you won't get stronger unless you motivate yourself to do the work. I can tell you to get motivated. I can suggest it to you. I can give you reasons to be motivated. But if you're determined to half-ass your workouts and eat like crap, you're going to half-ass your workouts and eat like crap.

At the end of the day, NHL players are adults, and they are responsible for their own actions.

I'm 100 per cent certain that Brind'Amour and the rest of the coaches, management and staff are getting the point across to the players that this isn't good enough. I'm 100 per cent certain that what Brindy expects of his players is exactly the same thing he expected from his players in the Eastern Conference Final last season. It works.

The problem right now is that the players aren't playing well. Part of that is that we've lost a few very key players who played vital roles. Any team struggles without players like that (see Blue Jackets, Columbus).

But *how* we're struggling is unacceptable. You can't always see it, but it's in the details. A player has a chance to get into a shooting lane but slides imperceptibly out of the way instead. A forward goes to bump an opponent's hard rim back to his defenseman behind the net, but isn't hard enough on his stick and misses. Players take one-handed swipes at the puck instead of playing the man. Players pull up on checks. Players don't stick up for each other. Players refuse to go into the hard areas, and even when they do, they're not prepared for the battle. Slow and sloppy line changes.

The *will* to do the hard things just isn't there right now. They know. They understand. They *want* to, just like everyone wants to go to the gym and get in shape. It's not a question of what they "want." It's a question of *will*.

Are they *willing* to pay the price? Right now, the answer is no, and that's not on Rod.

Is this a result of their extreme youth or some other reason? I just don't understand how guys cannot be willing to do what is needed to win after the amazing season we had last year.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Is this a result of their extreme youth or some other reason? I just don't understand how guys cannot be willing to do what is needed to win after the amazing season we had last year.

Obviously, continuing the exercise and eating right metaphor, everybody has their own reasons for not being willing and able to put in the necessary work. For some, it could legit be injury. It's never a surprise to find that players who look ineffective have, in fact, been playing injured. And at this point in the season, everybody's got some degree of stuff going on physically.

IMO, hurt guys should pull themselves from the lineup and let somebody give it a shot who's in better shape, but alas, that's just not how it works in the NHL.

It could also be failure to adequately rest. We're hearing a lot of rumblings about players who like to stay up late and roll into the office late. Rest is a very underrated part of performing to your maximum potential.

But in the end, it's simply a matter of the guys not having made the commitment -- to the fans, teammates and management -- to pay the price every night. I don't know why, just like I don't know why I haven't been to the gym in six weeks. Human psychology is a fascinating subject.

Reactions: cptjeff

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
*Slavin has quietly gotten more physical. He used to just skate with people and poke check them.

Players take one-handed swipes at the puck instead of playing the man.

On the first goal last night Slavin was neither his old poke-checking self nor his new physical self. He moved toward Provorov and when he couldn't get his stick in front of the first shot he almost comes to a standstill while Provorov skates directly to the rebound untouched. Slavin played the first goal in Ned's first game unwisely, that goal last night was more an overall poor play.

Everyone on the team is struggling.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
On the first goal last night Slavin was neither his old poke-checking self nor his new physical self. He moved toward Provorov and when he couldn't get his stick in front of the first shot he almost comes to a standstill while Provorov skates directly to the rebound untouched. Slavin played the first goal in Ned's first game unwisely, that goal last night was more an overall poor play.

Everyone on the team is struggling.

You’re reaching if you’re trying to play off Slavin trying to cover two guys because the forwards couldn’t be bothered to cover the point as him struggling.

Since Pesce got hurt in 5 games he’s averaging almost 26 minutes a night, on his off side saddled with Eddy, has 3 points (all even strength) and is somehow an E +/- while every other defenseman is a minus. He continues to be the best and most consistent player on the team since Dougie went down.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
You’re reaching if you’re trying to play off Slavin trying to cover two guys because the forwards couldn’t be bothered to cover the point as him struggling.
Not trying to argue, but everyone other than Provorov is covered. I understand Slavin is important, but that play was not very good. It is the definition of puck focused, once the first shot is taken Slavin looks at the save and completely gives up on Provorov.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Since Pesce got hurt in 5 games he’s averaging almost 26 minutes a night, on his off side saddled with Eddy, has 3 points (all even strength) and is somehow an E +/- while every other defenseman is a minus. He continues to be the best and most consistent player on the team since Dougie went down.

I don't think it's bashing on Slavin to say that he handled that play poorly. Yes, he's overworked and saddled with a zero, but he still played that very poorly.

Watching the Philly broadcast, including intermissions, I got to see this play about a dozen times from five or six different angles. It was literally a dump-and-change for Philly. The only two players in the play were the forechecker (Laughton) and Provorov, who was hovering around the left point. The Hurricanes wingers also went off to change, since Aho, Slavin and Edmundson were all back to handle the play. Blaming the Hurricanes winger for not having Provorov is totally off-base on this one. They weren't even on the ice, and Aho, Slavin and Edmundson knew this.

upload_2020-3-6_14-46-49.png

Ned missed it, so Aho was going to get to the hard-rim first. Slavin backed off slightly to provide puck support. Eddy was below the opposite dot to serve as an outlet for Slavin, once Aho sent the puck behind the net. The wingers were coming on the ice and headed back to the zone. Everything was set up for a controlled breakout.

upload_2020-3-6_14-49-35.png

When Aho whiffed on the hard-rim, Laughton was able to play the puck cleanly and Provorov had a *huge* wide open area from the deep slot all the way to the net. But again, this wasn't the result of poor coverage. We were *on offense*. We (should have) had the puck.

When it turned over unexpectedly and quickly, there was simply no way for a winger to get back to the zone that quickly. Slavin, Aho and Edmundson were going to have to handle Provorov, and again, they knew this.

upload_2020-3-6_14-50-57.png

Provorov got his first shot off from *behind* the triangle created from the two faceoff dots to the goal. He was a solid 25 feet out.

upload_2020-3-6_14-51-44.png

You can see Slavin has no chance to block the initial shot and Eddy is covering the right wing who's joined the play creating a mini 2-on-2. We're in fine shape here. JW and McGinn are back in the play and all six of our players are in shot (albeit with Aho not setting any land-speed records), versus three Flyers.

The problem comes here:

upload_2020-3-6_14-55-39.png

Slavin watches the shot and ignores Provorov. Ned has made the first save, and with no Flyer within 12 feet, he should be fine, even allowing a careless rebound.

upload_2020-3-6_14-58-14.png

Despite having the angle, and it literally being his job description, Slavin neither gets to the rebound nor ties up Provorov, allowing him a second uncontested shot from the slot.

The Flyers basically scored on us with two guys on the ice, against our four, with the trailers never getting back into the play. Aho has got to make a better play on the hard-rim and at least play that battle to a draw. And Slavin has got to prevent Provorov from getting to the rebound.

I love Slavin, but this was a very bad play and a terrible goal to allow. Blaming anybody aside from Aho and Slavin is just wrong.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I know we aren’t officially dead. However, Our players might want to stay off Twitter and other social media as it looks like even the diehards have finally seen the light about our current predicament. Most of our fan engagement has been very supportive and almost naively positive through the ups and downs but the tide appears to be turning. Based on commentary, it wasn’t Stanley Cup or bust but rather fans wanting to see a hard fought effort even with injuries. And, of course, some kind of playoff spot would be an added bonus.

I don’t envy the sales team and account managers as they try to hit those renewal quotas with the new crowd. Certainly, they’ve sold some just on the Canes entertainment experience sans results but I could see others deferring and taking a wait and see approach to monitor what happens in the off season. It really stinks when your marketing knocks it out of the park and turns their targets into believers only for the product to underperform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad