Pre-Game Talk: CARPHI, 7PM, THU.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Dom Luszczyszyn's model on the Athletic has the same conclusion. Columbus and NYR actually have tougher schedules than Carolina according to him. His model has Carolina (68%) with better playoff odds than Columbus (25%) and NYR (18%).

Does that model take into account we can't beat any Metro team and will no doubt play down to the level of Detroit/Buffalo/etc in those games?

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Vatanen will join the team on the road trip, and so will Petr. Petr is undergoing concussion testing either today or tomorrow, so I assume if he is cleared he may be able to start during this road trip.

If that is the case, then we may be getting healthy at the precise time we need to.

I just hope they don't bench TVR. We probably need to bench Edmundson. I don't like playing guys on their offside if we don't have to.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I feel like we could make the playoffs and you’d still be convinced we won’t make the playoffs.

I've not seen much from this team that gives me the confidence they'll overcome the challenges they're no doubt going to face in this upcoming month.

Reactions: cptjeff

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
A reply from Micah directly to Greg’s tweet:

I think we are naturally a woe is us group and the last 10 years hasn’t given us much reason not to be. But this is so so doable, we’re not even really playing from behind when you consider the games in hand on Columbus. 2 spots are up for grabs for 4 teams, and there’s a strong case to be made that we’re the best of that group. Doesn’t mean it’s a done deal or anything, but I’m really struggling to see the reason why the sky is falling.

Dom Luszczyszyn's model on the Athletic has the same conclusion. Columbus and NYR actually have tougher schedules than Carolina according to him. His model has Carolina (68%) with better playoff odds than Columbus (25%) and NYR (18%).

I've been saying this schedule panic is nonsense for a few months now. Everyone has a crap schedule in March. Our is actually less crap than most. And it's not like traveling from Long Island to Pittsburgh is going to tax anyone. I think it's about an hour flight. We don't leave the time zone or the country all month, so we're done dealing with time changes and customs. Raleigh-to-Buffalo is as rough as it gets.

I've not seen much from this team that gives me the confidence they'll overcome the challenges they're no doubt going to face in this upcoming month.

I know, but IMO, it's a good thing there's so many games. Our schedule to this point has been really "gappy." I don't have any evidence to back it up, but it seems that we've had a lot more three- and four-days off than ever before. Sometimes, getting into a groove of playing four games in six nights is good for a team, especially one as mentally fragile as we can be from time to time.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Please don't mess up my head. I already got enough mad crap happening in my life that's makes me think that I'm really a fictitious character in a bad movie.

5e04cb61855cc236eb6f2d37

Oh wait, you said bad movie. Nevermind.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
From Svech's article today:

Then they move to the main dressing room area to meet with Dr. Bradley Hack, a sports psychologist in his second season working with the team on performance psychology. Hack works with the team both as a group and individually, and covers all areas of mental wellness.

On this morning, they talk about strategies for dealing with the anxiety that accompanies the pressure of a stretch run, as the Hurricanes are in a pitched battle for a spot in the top eight in the Eastern Conference.
“It takes a toll on the player both mentally and physically,” Hack said.

There is give and take among the group on what strategies can be employed to rise above the adversity that presents itself during this critical period. “They all want to play better,” Hack explained. “And they know that the mental side of things is so important.”

After the meeting, head strength and conditioning coach Bill Burniston dims the lights and puts on quiet music as the players, most of whom are wearing heart monitors, find comfortable spots on the floor or against the wall to relax with a series of deep belly breathing exercises.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Man, I wish I could hold that same optimism. I just can't see how this team overcomes the remaining schedule it has. Maybe if the games remaining were more favorable, but when even the national spotlight is taking notice of the brutality of our schedule, it's not a good thing.

I like how somehow we not only got stuck playing every Sunday, but they're all road games.

And of course it's March and we have yet to play the Penguins.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
If I had to guess, I think we are fine down the stretch, not world beaters, not terrible, and end up in the playoffs because everyone around us is dropping like flies (both with injuries and with their play). Then we lose in 5 or 6 to Washington or Boston.

Seeding doesn’t matter too much to me - this season is about making the playoffs for a second consecutive year.

the only team i am absolutely terrified of is the Bruins. I feel like we have at least a puncher’s chance with anyone else. That being said i will be thrilled just to make the playoffs at this point.

Last edited:

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Man, I wish I could hold that same optimism. I just can't see how this team overcomes the remaining schedule it has. Maybe if the games remaining were more favorable, but when even the national spotlight is taking notice of the brutality of our schedule, it's not a good thing.

Trial by fire. (Or soviet snow; same diff lol)

C58C49EB-72B6-40B8-8995-D42434D0CCEA.gif

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad