Pre-Game Talk: CARPHI, 7PM, THU.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If I had to guess, I think we are fine down the stretch, not world beaters, not terrible, and end up in the playoffs because everyone around us is dropping like flies (both with injuries and with their play). Then we lose in 5 or 6 to Washington or Boston.

Seeding doesn’t matter too much to me - this season is about making the playoffs for a second consecutive year.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Vatanen maybe participating in practice today. Getting him integrated into the top 4 ASAP I think would be huge...

Do you see him jumping immediately to top pairing with Slavin? I don't see him pairing with Skjei, so that leaves him either 1st pairing or 3rd:

Slavin-Vatanen
Fleury-Skjei
Edmundson/Gardiner-TVR

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Do you see him jumping immediately to top pairing with Slavin? I don't see him pairing with Skjei, so that leaves him either 1st pairing or 3rd:

Slavin-Vatanen
Fleury-Skjei
Edmundson/Gardiner-TVR

I'd go:

Slavin-TVR
Skjei-Vatanen

or vice versa so that no one in the top 4 has to play their off side...

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Tonight, we sit back, relax, turn on the TV and root for injuries and overtime.

OK, that's wrong. Not overtime.

Let’s take inventory of what’s happened in the last few weeks.

NYR missing: Skjei, Kreider, Shesterkin
CBJ missing: Jones, Bjorkstrand
NYI missing: Boychuk, Cizikas, Pelech
FLA missing: Trocheck

There have been some adds over this time too (but none as big as us adding Trocheck and Skjei, “Waddell used Mega Drain! It’s Super Effective!”), but after playing half a season without our Norris candidate, and losing one of our other top pairing caliber guys recently, the other teams are catching up, bodycount-wise.

Also, add me to the list of people that think the goaltending situation isn’t even worth mentioning. Team’s played bad, goaltending won’t steal any games but will be serviceable if the team plays well.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Also, add me to the list of people that think the goaltending situation isn’t even worth mentioning. Team’s played bad, goaltending won’t steal any games but will be serviceable if the team plays well.
I don’t get this thinking. Yes, our goalies will not steal any games. But other teams that we are fighting with will have goalies that steal games. Some have already stolen a few from us. Not addressing that deficiency puts us at a disadvantage.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
I remember from last PHIL game that I was really impressed their way to deliver puck close to net, either with fast cross-pass or from behind a goal. I rarely get such clear feeling that some team is doing something clearly in different way as I am not tactic wizzard.

I wached few days ago Philli at MGS and jesus, I got scared for upcoming match here. Their fast cross-passing on the far-post...wow, and they are all the time looking for all kind of chances for redirections and onetimers.

So I am not very optimistic.

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don’t get this thinking. Yes, our goalies will not steal any games. But other teams that we are fighting with will have goalies that steal games. Some have already stolen a few from us. Not addressing that deficiency puts us at a disadvantage.

I think we didn’t have goalies that would regularly steal games before the injuries, so to me it’s a net neutral.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If I had to guess, I think we are fine down the stretch, not world beaters, not terrible, and end up in the playoffs because everyone around us is dropping like flies (both with injuries and with their play). Then we lose in 5 or 6 to Washington or Boston.

Seeding doesn’t matter too much to me - this season is about making the playoffs for a second consecutive year.

Man, I wish I could hold that same optimism. I just can't see how this team overcomes the remaining schedule it has. Maybe if the games remaining were more favorable, but when even the national spotlight is taking notice of the brutality of our schedule, it's not a good thing.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Man, I wish I could hold that same optimism. I just can't see how this team overcomes the remaining schedule it has. Maybe if the games remaining were more favorable, but when even the national spotlight is taking notice of the brutality of our schedule, it's not a good thing.

A reply from Micah directly to Greg’s tweet:

I think we are naturally a woe is us group and the last 10 years hasn’t given us much reason not to be. But this is so so doable, we’re not even really playing from behind when you consider the games in hand on Columbus. 2 spots are up for grabs for 4 teams, and there’s a strong case to be made that we’re the best of that group. Doesn’t mean it’s a done deal or anything, but I’m really struggling to see the reason why the sky is falling.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
A reply from Micah directly to Greg’s tweet:

I think we are naturally a woe is us group and the last 10 years hasn’t given us much reason not to be. But this is so so doable, we’re not even really playing from behind when you consider the games in hand on Columbus. 2 spots are up for grabs for 4 teams, and there’s a strong case to be made that we’re the best of that group. Doesn’t mean it’s a done deal or anything, but I’m really struggling to see the reason why the sky is falling.

Dom Luszczyszyn's model on the Athletic has the same conclusion. Columbus and NYR actually have tougher schedules than Carolina according to him. His model has Carolina (68%) with better playoff odds than Columbus (25%) and NYR (18%).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad