Prospect Info: Carolina's OHL Prospect Report

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Thanks, Brock.

Quick: who's going to have the better career, Rees or Nick Robertson?
MSP—we don't always see things the same way. However, your analysis prior to the draft convinced me Robertson has terrific upside. I think Rees was a good pick, but I do think Robertson has a higher ceiling.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks, Brock.

Quick: who's going to have the better career, Rees or Nick Robertson?

Tough question, especially this early in their development.

I had Rees ranked higher than Robertson for the draft because I think he impacts the game in more ways than Robertson and I think his skating ability will play well. Robertson has, without question, the higher upside. And Rees is far from a slam dunk given his durability issues, lack of size, and the way that he plays. But he's a skilled kid in his own right. It comes down to personal preference. Who would you rather have on your team for a playoff run, TJ Oshie or Jake Guentzel?

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Why do you think a guy like Murray could have been around as late as we got him? I mean at some point you think other teams would take a flyer on a guy that has high talent but didn't quite meet expectations.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Why do you think a guy like Murray could have been around as late as we got him? I mean at some point you think other teams would take a flyer on a guy that has high talent but didn't quite meet expectations.

I would say that Murray definitely met expectations. He scored 30 this year. Most draft eligible kids who put up 30 goals in their draft year are not 6th round picks.

He fell for the same reason that Arthur Kaliyev fell to the second. Scouts are concerned about his intensity level and drive away from the puck. There are definitely consistency issues and he's that classic bigger kid who doesn't use his size to his advantage enough.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I would say that Murray definitely met expectations. He scored 30 this year. Most draft eligible kids who put up 30 goals in their draft year are not 6th round picks.

He fell for the same reason that Arthur Kaliyev fell to the second. Scouts are concerned about his intensity level and drive away from the puck. There are definitely consistency issues and he's that classic bigger kid who doesn't use his size to his advantage enough.

This org has made it crystal clear what the new philosophy is: work your ass off, or gtfo.

It's fascinating that we're now betting, repeatedly, on our ability to take this kind of player -- highly skilled but not sufficiently motivated -- and lighting a fire under them. If you can't work harder than your 49 year old head coach (happy birthday Roddy!) in the weight room, and if you can't skate harder than he does in practice, then you're not making the NHL.

Will it pan out? I don't know, but I absolutely love the bet.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
This org has made it crystal clear what the new philosophy is: work your ass off, or gtfo.

It's fascinating that we're now betting, repeatedly, on our ability to take this kind of player -- highly skilled but not sufficiently motivated -- and lighting a fire under them. If you can't work harder than your 49 year old head coach (happy birthday Roddy!) in the weight room, and if you can't skate harder than he does in practice, then you're not making the NHL.

Will it pan out? I don't know, but I absolutely love the bet.

Any time you can get a 6'3 center who doesn't have major skating deficiencies, and who can put the puck in the net...in the 6th round, I think you're doing something right.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Where do we rank after getting Priskie?

Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad