Carolina's bad goaltending facts.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
5on5 the league save percentage is 92.28.

Lehner, Andersen, Bishop, Rask, Smith, Quick, Hellebuyck, Gibson, Dubnyk, Elliott, Raanta, Fleury, Vasilevsky, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, and Rinne are the only goalies that played at least 1,500 minutes 5on5 that have a higher save percentage than the league average.

Scott Darling is the only goalie with a 5o5 save percentage below 90. Cam Ward's save percentage 5on5 is 91.80, which isn't bad, but it's not only below average but adjusted it's also worse than average.

Cam Ward has a Delta save percentage of -0.54. Darling? -1.82...

Ouch, the Canes have the league's worst PDO despite being statistically strong in every category even the offensive generation ones.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
As I've said before, I wouldn't mind taking a look at Lehner this offseason. His numbers as their starter are suprisingly decent (and an improvement over what we have now), given how godawful the Sabres are, especially on defense.

Of course, knowing our luck, he'd crater here too, just like every other goalie not named Cam Ward.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As I've said before, I wouldn't mind taking a look at Lehner this offseason. His numbers as their starter are suprisingly decent (and an improvement over what we have now), given how godawful the Sabres are, especially on defense.

Of course, knowing our luck, he'd crater here too, just like every other goalie not named Cam Ward.
Right now, my top three of possibly available goalies this off season:

1. Grubauer - RFA w/arbitration, likely not w/current team, requires a trade, possibility of shortest and cheapest contract.
  2. Raanta - UFA, likely signs w/current team, probably least available and highest cost.
  3. Lehner - RFA, likely not w/current team.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Personally I'd never trust Veini. That guy can be such a sieve (still traumatized by his U20 games) and I doubt Canes want another one of those.
Personally I'd never put any weight into anything that happened in a goalies career when he was 18-19. He has had two fantastic season playing in Finnish Liiga, i think he'll be a good one.

Hidden

Ghost
Dec 11, 2014
Random
Veini Vehviläinen

Could try to sign him in the summer.

I haven't followed Veini for while now, since lost mildly interest on him, but I do see him good goalie if in right team. So sort of low risk, potentially good/high return gamble.
When still kept tabs on him, he seemed really good goalie if team front of him is defensively solid, but the moment defense takes day off, or just has few really bad brainfarts, he melts down. Especially if he gives up couple softies during that time, he should be switched out in instant, at least in the past wasn't really able to recover from those for rest of the match.
When team front of him plays exactly he likes, he's really good though. So feels like matter of "right goalie for right team" type of player. Brian Elliott-esque (Blues era).

But my view on him is outdated, so can't really say if he's like that anymore.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
5on5 the league save percentage is 92.28.

Lehner, Andersen, Bishop, Rask, Smith, Quick, Hellebuyck, Gibson, Dubnyk, Elliott, Raanta, Fleury, Vasilevsky, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, and Rinne are the only goalies that played at least 1,500 minutes 5on5 that have a higher save percentage than the league average.

Scott Darling is the only goalie with a 5o5 save percentage below 90. Cam Ward's save percentage 5on5 is 91.80, which isn't bad, but it's not only below average but adjusted it's also worse than average.

Cam Ward has a Delta save percentage of -0.54. Darling? -1.82...

Ouch, the Canes have the league's worst PDO despite being statistically strong in every category even the offensive generation ones.
In PSAC (Perimeter-Shots Adjusted Corsi) the Canes are by far worst in the league though.

We already know our goaltending is bad. No fancy stats needed.

I'm all for adding Veini Vehvilainen. Veini Veidi Veici!

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
the moment defense takes day off, or just has few really bad brainfarts, he melts down. Especially if he gives up couple softies during that time, he should be switched out in instant, at least in the past wasn't really able to recover from those for rest of the match.
This is a match made in f***ing heaven, right here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad