Carolina

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Saw highlights from yestedays win over Ottawa. Good for them.

But what the hell? The main thing I noticed were the swaths of empty seets ... front row, second row, third row, etc, etc.
Like blocks of seats -- 100s at a time --- in the lower bowl --- Empty.

What the hell?

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
TinCanCommunications said:
Saw highlights from yestedays win over Ottawa. Good for them.

But what the hell? The main thing I noticed were the swaths of empty seets ... front row, second row, third row, etc, etc.
Like blocks of seats -- 100s at a time --- in the lower bowl --- Empty.

What the hell?

The Hurricane management has made every effort to drive fans away from the RBC Center. The year after they made the finals, they raised ticket prices, parking prices, concession prices and tried to squeeze every penny out of the fans that they could. The team tanked and to no ones surprise attendance was way down. Now the teams wants to act like the lockout didn't happen and things should go back to normal. If the team can put together a winning season and be competitive in their division the fans will come back, but it will take some time. They have a lot to compete with in this area, but as it has been shown in the past, if the team wins people will support the team.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
No doubt the Hurricanes aren't long for Raleigh. Here comes Houston / Seattle / Portland, hell sell them to local buyers in Hamilton or Winnipeg. Sure the barn in the 'Peg is only 15,000 but at least the seats won't sit empty. You may lose money, but not like you're hemmoraging money in Carolina.

Claypool_*

I can't find the attendence figures from last nights game. NHL.com doesn't have the option highlighted for the stat sheet. :(

canes-sth

Feb 21, 2005
MR. X said:
The Hurricane management has made every effort to drive fans away from the RBC Center. The year after they made the finals, they raised ticket prices, parking prices, concession prices and tried to squeeze every penny out of the fans that they could. The team tanked and to no ones surprise attendance was way down.

Lets not let facts get in the way of your rant. The year following the finals, the franchise set an attendance record -- with those new prices (that were set before the cup finals). The *following* year attendance tanked because of the horrid #30 finish in 02-03. Something that would happen just about anywhere.

Canes *still* have some of the lowest prices in the league. Parking is whopping $7 - and you can still park in a free area that is a little further away if you're willing to walk.

Canes have offered 20% discounts for renewing plan holders both before and after the lockout - offered discounts on plan pricing after the lockout for new plan holders.

Good gosh - they offer $10.29 seats on game days.

MR. X said:
If the team can put together a winning season and be competitive in their division the fans will come back, but it will take some time. They have a lot to compete with in this area, but as it has been shown in the past, if the team wins people will support the team.

This part I agree with. The Canes need to win - just like every other franchise save a handful.

The Canes have 2 other home games this week that draw better than the Sens (for whatever reason).

The local fans are still waking up from the bad dream that was the last 2 years (2 crap seasons + the lockout). Give it some time before you pack the bags.

Transported Upstater

Don't get ahead of yourself people. It takes a lot for an NHL franchise to move.

And I would love to see a franchise in Winnipeg, but it's not going to be easy.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
TransportedUpstater said:
Don't get ahead of yourself people. It takes a lot for an NHL franchise to move.

And I would love to see a franchise in Winnipeg, but it's not going to be easy.

What does it take for a team to move then ? :D

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Small market teams make good money off of revenue sharing now. Hopefully they'll put that back into the product and grow the sport in that area, but the revenue pie will keep most small market teams right where they are....

A Good Flying Bird*

Squiddy said:
That wasn't 12,000 ... No way.... There were Sections up sections empty.

You know, hockey arenas would be wise to let the nosebleeds move down to the front rows after the first period.
That was embarassing.
I'm talking 15 by 10 sections, completely empty, rinkside. In the second period.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It's amazing how many people can tell how full an arena is from TV. Honestly, can you really tell the difference between 10 and 12 thousand people?

Not that either figure is great, but as it's been said, weekday games and the Senators never draw well. Boston should be a couple thousand more, and the Flyers may be near capacity.

But no, you guys are right. Let's just give up and move the team due to 1 season and 2 games. Give me a break. Where's the talk of moving the northern teams who haven't drawn well?

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
The Sam said:
It's amazing how many people can tell how full an arena is from TV. Honestly, can you really tell the difference between 10 and 12 thousand people?

Not that either figure is great, but as it's been said, weekday games and the Senators never draw well. Boston should be a couple thousand more, and the Flyers may be near capacity.

But no, you guys are right. Let's just give up and move the team due to 1 season and 2 games. Give me a break. Where's the talk of moving the northern teams who haven't drawn well?

You can't compare the flyers and bruins to carolina.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
can hurricane fans answer this question for me please because i don't remember...

at the time they moved from hartford, why didn't they relocate to charlotte?

was the city/county not willing to build them an arena? did they not look into moving to charlotte? did they just like raleigh better?

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
The Sam said:
The Boston GAME (Wednesday). The Flyers GAME (Friday).

:shakehead

Ok so then how can you explain the flyers being 4th in league average attendance right now, the bruins being 18th behind pittsburgh and edmonton to the hurricanes who are 28th?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Squiddy said:
Ok so then how can you explain the flyers being 4th in league average attendance right now, the bruins being 18th behind pittsburgh and edmonton to the hurricanes who are 28th?
He's talking about Boston @ Carolina on Wednesday, Philly @ Carolina on Friday.....

:shakehead

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I'm honestly not sure. Charlotte would have been a good choice, since they are a huge business city and would have a bunch of coporate sponsers. And they'd still have fans throughout the Carolina's, as the Panthers do (who draw very well).

I know it's a bit off topic, but just to point out that Pro Sports CAN succeed in North Carolina:

The Panthers are currently 6th in the NFL in attendance by average (73,368)
The Panthers are currently 10th in the NFL in attendance by percentage (100.2%)

In 2004, they were 6th and 11th
In 2003, they were 9th and 13th

Here's the kicker:

Comming off their awful 1-15 season, they were 8th and 16th (which is still 97.6%)

Charlotte probably would have been the better choice.

And yes, I did mean the Boston and Flyers games that the Canes were hosting.

canes-sth

Feb 21, 2005
MyCaptain11 said:
can hurricane fans answer this question for me please because i don't remember...

was the city/county not willing to build them an arena? did they not look into moving to charlotte? did they just like raleigh better?

NCState was just getting ready to build their new basketball arena. Karmanos was able to step in at the right time, get a sweet lease and operations deal with the arena where Gale Force Holdings has control over just about everything. It's my understanding that it's one of the best lease deals in the NHL.

Charlotte was not in the same position - the Hornets arena was already proving to be inadequate (luxury suite-wise and poor location), but the new arena (for the new NBA team) is just opening this season. That's a 6 year difference.

With the Hornets fall from grace in Charlotte and the emergence of the Panthers - I'm not sure Charlotte is/was ready to embrace an NHL team anyway - but who knows.

Raleigh *should* be able to develop into a fanbase able to support the Canes. Lots of money, lots of relocated folks from the North and Canada, plenty of growth, and sports fans in general with 3 major colleges w/in spitting distance. The fanbase was primed and growing with the 00-01 and 01-02 seasons. All that came crashing down the following 2 seasons when they stunk and played boring hockey -- during a time where the economy got a little pinched here. If the team bounces back and can be entertaining and competitive - hopefully the ship will right itself again.

Time will tell.

As an aside - what's with the fascination about contract/relocation that never ends here? I mean, it's like the fans have to compete with each other instead of the teams? Geez - watch hockey and enjoy it - quit trying to figure out the viability of a franchise based on the first 12 rows you can see on tv.

If the Canes or the Blackhawks or [insert team on the list this week] aren't financially viable - let the ownership figure out what they're gonna do.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
The Sam said:
I'm honestly not sure. Charlotte would have been a good choice, since they are a huge business city and would have a bunch of coporate sponsers. And they'd still have fans throughout the Carolina's, as the Panthers do (who draw very well).

I know it's a bit off topic, but just to point out that Pro Sports CAN succeed in North Carolina:

The Panthers are currently 6th in the NFL in attendance by average (73,368)
The Panthers are currently 10th in the NFL in attendance by percentage (100.2%)

In 2004, they were 6th and 11th
In 2003, they were 9th and 13th

Here's the kicker:

Comming off their awful 1-15 season, they were 8th and 16th (which is still 97.6%)

Charlotte probably would have been the better choice.

And yes, I did mean the Boston and Flyers games that the Canes were hosting.

Definitely charlotte would have been a better choice than raleigh, but the N&O totally trashes the canes and hockey all the time. They almost give whatever readers they have no hope and turn any potential fans off.

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
TheMoose said:
No doubt the Hurricanes aren't long for Raleigh. Here comes Houston / Seattle / Portland, hell sell them to local buyers in Hamilton or Winnipeg. Sure the barn in the 'Peg is only 15,000 but at least the seats won't sit empty. You may lose money, but not like you're hemmoraging money in Carolina.

There is alot to be said about making a ticket hard to get. Having only 15000 seats will make it easier to sell out in Winnipeg plus harder to get a ticket. People always want what they can't have, so if they ever get a team back, I think the smaller arena might work to their advantage.

As far as Carolina goes, I really like their team this year. I hope for the sake of the fans their they can keep it up, and start getting the fans to come back.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Squiddy said:
Definitely charlotte would have been a better choice than raleigh, but the N&O totally trashes the canes and hockey all the time. They almost give whatever readers they have no hope and turn any potential fans off.

When they're good, the articles are generally positive. When they're struggling, the articles are pretty bad. They were ready to write off the season and Gerber (as well as many fans) after the first game in Tampa. But when they've had good wins, like last night, they're front page material. Even the Toronto loss made the front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->