Proposal: Carolina - Winnipeg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think the only way the Canes would consider acquiring Laine is if they had all three of Laine, Svechnikov, and Hamilton locked into extensions similar to Aho's ~$8 million x 5-7 years.

If Laine wants more than Aho then that ends the discussions. No desire to create a contract snowball similar to Toronto where Laine wants more than Aho leading to Svechnikov wanting more than Laine leading to Hamilton seeing money thrown around and wanting a huge number himself.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think the only way the Canes would consider acquiring Laine is if they had all three of Laine, Svechnikov, and Hamilton locked into extensions similar to Aho's ~$8 million x 5-7 years.

If Laine wants more than Aho then that ends the discussions. No desire to create a contract snowball similar to Toronto where Laine wants more than Aho leading to Svechnikov wanting more than Laine leading to Hamilton seeing money thrown around and wanting a huge number himself.

I`d have Aho as the top-dog. I`d imagine that "if" a trade like this would go through and "if" Laine would be extended at same cap as Aho it would actually lead to a more team-friendly deal from both Svechnikov and Hamilton. Thats "if" Hamilton resigns. On another note, I expect Hamilton to be the first one to either sign an extension or inform he goes UFA. If Aho is at 8,454M and Laine would sign long-term for 8-8,454M, then the team actually has pretty good contracts to point to Svech and Necas - "Thoose guys do more than you and are paid this". Opposite-Leaf effect....

Reactions: WreckingCrew

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
The thing is that I'm looking at it from a wider and more objective perspective while the fans Canes like those of any team, of course, get very attached to their star players. As I see it, because the team as of now is not a contender (the goalkeeper issues, for one, must be dealt with) the depth of Carolina can easily cope with the loss of Aho and the end result will be a win for the Canes if the return for him will be more valuable than him in a couple years time which is when the current core will likely peak. Laine and a first is nothing to scoff at. It could turn out a major win for the Canes, should Laine be able to score 40+ consistently and the pick is handled well.

The Jets on the other hand have shown no ability to manage Laine and have huge issues with the cap so they would benefit from shipping him off and finally getting another good centerman instead of paying draft picks every single year for a rental.

We must also bear in mind that the Corona-debacle benefits the young guys (like Necas) the most who get to work on their physique which often is one of the biggest issues for the transition to NHL, especially for guys coming in from Europe. Also, Teravainen who has played center for 90% of his hockey career could work next 4 months or even more on his transition back to his more natural position. We have to account for all the factors.

Ummm, the Jets have 15.5 mil in cap space. Add the fact that Bryan Little might me done and that's another 5. How is having 20 mil in cap space a huge issue?

Reactions: Buffdog

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I`d have Aho as the top-dog. I`d imagine that "if" a trade like this would go through and "if" Laine would be extended at same cap as Aho it would actually lead to a more team-friendly deal from both Svechnikov and Hamilton. Thats "if" Hamilton resigns. On another note, I expect Hamilton to be the first one to either sign an extension or inform he goes UFA. If Aho is at 8,454M and Laine would sign long-term for 8-8,454M, then the team actually has pretty good contracts to point to Svech and Necas - "Thoose guys do more than you and are paid this". Opposite-Leaf effect....

My point is that I don't think the Canes even entertain trading for Laine without having that extension already agreed to. Their salary structure can't afford to trade for Laine and then find out he wants $10-11 million. Because Svechnikov is the better winger IMO so whatever Laine gets, Svech will want more. Whereas right now, without trading for Laine, the Canes can point to Aho's $8.4 million and tell Svechnikov that is his comparable.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not by much. You have to count Nino`s salary too. Salaries out 9,3M and added 6,75M. For next year thats -2,55M. Dzingel, McGinn and Martinook go UFA the year after. Trocheck next year, when Necas is RFA. It`s manageable. Atleast when Aho is paid 8,454M/yr. I actually think that Laine would take less in Carolina, than what he will ask for in Winnipeg. Playmates, coach and enviroment are probably a positive for him?

It`s tight, but doable. If Laine does well, offer same as Aho. Offer Hamilton 7,5M/5yrs.

I'm guessing if Hamilton plays like he did this year, he'll command more than 7.5M

Even so, with Laine at the Aho contract, Hamilton at $7.5M, and Foegele and Fleury each at $1.5M, that puts Carolina at $63M with 7 forward, 6 D and zero goalies under contract in 21/22. They have to sign Svechnikov (or risk another offer sheet) and if he continues to develop like he did, he's probably in line for another 7-8M so now the Canes are at $70M-$71M.

A good goalie and backup will run another $6M-$7M so now we are at $76-$79M with a cap that is very likely flat again at $81.5M with 8 forwards, 6D and 2 goalies (16 players total). Do you think they can sign 5 forwards and a D for $2.5-$5M and still be competitive? I think not. Not to mention Necas may require a raise the following year and Carolina is still a small market team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->