jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Carolina get:

-Patrik Laine

Winnipeg get:

- Brett Pesce
- Nino Niederreiter
- Carolina 1st 2020

Winnipeg get stronger on defense with Pesce on a sweetheart contract. Nino takes Laines 2nd line spot. WPG also get Carolinas 1st. Carolina has a sniper on both Top-lines

Carolina:

Teräväinen - Aho - Laine/Svechnikov
Dzingel - Trocheck - Svechnikov/Laine

Winnipeg:

Connor - Scheifele -Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Nino

Morrissey - Pionk
Pesce - Niku?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Carolina get:

-Patrik Laine

Winnipeg get:

- Brett Pesce
- Nino Niederreiter
- Carolina 1st 2020

Winnipeg get stronger on defense with Pesce on a sweetheart contract. Nino takes Laines 2nd line spot. WPG also get Carolinas 1st. Carolina has a sniper on both Top-lines

Carolina:

Teräväinen - Aho - Laine/Svechnikov
Dzingel - Trocheck - Svechnikov/Laine

Winnipeg:

Connor - Scheifele -Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Nino

Morrissey - Pionk
Pesce - Niku?
Carolina's first belongs to the Rangers. You want to trade Toronto's pick (13) in this deal?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You forgot Carolina's Top 4 after the trade. It isn't pretty.

Laine doesn't make sense in the Canes' long-term structure. Unless the deal is really favorable (see the Trocheck+Skjei concept that who knows may have come straight from the decision makers in Carolina) allowing the team to take a couple cracks at it before flipping him for lesser assets, Carolina is nothing more than a public negotiating ploy for Winnipeg to extract a better return elsewhere, imo.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
You forgot Carolina's Top 4 after the trade. It isn't pretty.

Laine doesn't make sense in the Canes' long-term structure. Unless the deal is really favorable (see the Trocheck+Skjei concept that who knows may have come straight from the decision makers in Carolina) allowing the team to take a couple cracks at it before flipping him for lesser assets, Carolina is nothing more than a public negotiating ploy for Winnipeg to extract a better return elsewhere, imo.

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - ?

Hope to resign Vatanen for a decent amount. He wants to be a part of the Finni-Canes for cheap

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can't see why Carolina does this and as for Winnipeg I have no interest in Nino. Little is also likely done as 2C in Winnipeg. It's not for sure yet but its looking likely.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Pesce isn’t worth Laine but he’s also somehow become the most mentioned player on this forum who isn’t even remotely available. Why is he in so many proposals? I don’t get it. Do people really look at the Canes blueline and think somehow they’d be willing to move him in any kind of sensible deal?

Probably because Pesce has value and is on a contract 2-2,5M below his value. I have always believed in Laine and I think he would be really good in Carolina. As we all know he doesnt get along with Scheifele, Wheeler and PoMo is misusing the kid in WPG. I truly believe he will break out if traded and used as should - Top-line and 1st PP

And btw - How many players that scores 138g in their 4 first seasons could you get trading a 2nd pairing D for? Pesce is 3D on Canes. I believe Hamilton and Slavin are 1-2?

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Pesce isn’t worth Laine but he’s also somehow become the most mentioned player on this forum who isn’t even remotely available. Why is he in so many proposals? I don’t get it. Do people really look at the Canes blueline and think somehow they’d be willing to move him in any kind of sensible deal?

There are several high profile markets (Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg) that need or at least could use a Top 2/Top 4 defensive RHD. There are only so many of that type of player out there and less that offer > 2 years of term or team control. There's an illusion of depth in Carolina, despite the team trading a 1st round pick on a defenseman at the deadline. Hence, you end up with a litany of proposals for a player that hasn't been rumored to be available since 2018.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Can’t see either team going for this. Winnipeg can address the D without moving Laine and Carolina can add a top 6 winger without moving out Pesce. They have Aho and Svech. They don’t necessarily need a game breaker

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
There are several high profile markets (Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg) that need or at least could use a Top 4 defensive RHD. There are only so many of that type of player out there and less that offer > 2 years of term or team control. There's an illusion of depth in Carolina, despite the team trading a 1st round pick on a defenseman at the deadline. Hence, you end up with a litany of proposals for a player that hasn't been rumored to be available since 2018.

A Top4 defensive RHD is surely not worth more than a 22yr old exceptional sniper with an avg of 34,5gseason? In what world is a Top4 defensive D worth more?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Can’t see either team going for this. Winnipeg can address the D without moving Laine and Carolina can add a top 6 winger without moving out Pesce. They have Aho and Svech. They don’t necessarily need a game breaker

What team doesnt need a game breaker?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Winnipeg should target a guy like Leddy for picks or try and sign 1 of Brodie, Tanev or Hamonic.

Hamonic might even sign a value contract with Winnipeg as it was his #1 destination a few seasons ago.

Reactions: Heldig and hn777

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - ?

Hope to resign Vatanen for a decent amount. He wants to be a part of the Finni-Canes for cheap

A Skjei or Vatanen or Fleury or Gardiner anchoring a 2nd pair on a contender doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That's just for next season.

What happens next offseason, when Hamilton, Svechnikov and Laine need extensions? What about Necas the year after?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A Top4 defensive RHD is surely not worth more than a 22yr old exceptional sniper with an avg of 34,5gseason? In what world is a Top4 defensive D worth more?

I didn't say that. I don't think I implied it.

That poster was asking why Pesce pops in proposals so much. That's the reason why.

Reactions: Tryamw

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Make it Aho for Laine and a 1st. Canes get the scoring prowess which has been in need of bolstering since the Skinner trade and the Jets finally acquire a great center to support Scheifele long-term instead overpaying for rentals each year.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
Probably because Pesce has value and is on a contract 2-2,5M below his value. I have always believed in Laine and I think he would be really good in Carolina. As we all know he doesnt get along with Scheifele, Wheeler and PoMo is misusing the kid in WPG. I truly believe he will break out if traded and used as should - Top-line and 1st PP

And btw - How many players that scores 138g in their 4 first seasons could you get trading a 2nd pairing D for? Pesce is 3D on Canes. I believe Hamilton and Slavin are 1-2?

Can we get a source on the bolded statement?

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Can we get a source on the bolded statement?

It’s mostly conjecture but from this Winnipeg fan, where there is smoke, there is fire. It seems like he enjoys Winnipeg, but is not happy with the team leadership, coach included. Laine has been misused for years, while some of that is his fault, PoMo is a terrible coach when it comes to youth. He’s an old school coach who is stuck in his ways, favours veteran players and refuses to adjust his coaching style (or unable to) unless he is required to (injuries/trades). When a line does click (Ehlers/Scheifele/Laine, played VERY well together) during a roster adjustment because of injury, once that injured player is back, she goes back to status quo. I can understand from a youth perspective how frustrating that could be. Ehlers, Laine, Roslo, Trouba and to a lesser extent Petan among others, have in some way, all shown frustration, or have been rumored as such. When all the dots connect, there is usually some substance to the allegations.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Make it Aho for Laine and a 1st. Canes get the scoring prowess which has been in need of bolstering since the Skinner trade and the Jets finally acquire a great center to support Scheifele long-term instead overpaying for rentals each year.
First off, hell no.
Is Laine a Rod type of guy? I haven't seen evidence that he is.
As far as Pesce, Rod loves the guy. He is rock solid. There is absolutely no reason to move him.
Laine would be a great add as a FA. I wouldn't be willing to give up valuable pieces to get him.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm going to say this is a pass for both teams.

Winnipeg probably can get a deal for Laine that doesn't require them to take a cap dump.

This moves Carolina back substantially from contending. It's just a bad offer...not an unfair one, but one they should not make.

Bigshow747

May 12, 2018
I just have a hard time seeing Carolina give away one of their most cost-controlled assets for Laine. That's a hefty price to pay. I could see a deal around Hamilton for Laine if Hamilton isn't interested in being resigned. But dude idk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->