Carolina, Washington, Montreal, Boston and Rangers fans, would you take Laine or Matthews

Who would you take?

• Total voters

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
How on earth is this slanted in Laine's favor ? Bäckström and Bergeron are only centers in those teams, who are equal to Matthews.
You must be new to HF. Western Canadian fans actively seek out polls that mention Leaf players and vote against them no matter how blatantly stupid it is. You could put up a Bennet vs Matthews poll and it would be close.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Either would be amazing on the Bruins.

Having Bergeron, Krejci, Matthews down the middle would be a nightmare for other teams and Matthews could take over the mantle in a few years.
But adding Laine to a winger group that includes Marchand, Pastrnak, Nash, DeBrusk, Backes would just be amazing to watch for a few years as they pile up goals.

Long term - Matthews. Short term - Laine. - still trying to decide.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It worked very well for Oshie and Brouwer, Laine or Ovechkin in that spot would get 15 power play goals a year easily.

And if PP is your concern than Matthews is not your guy, he's not nearly as good as Laine on the PP, he has 2 PPGs this year. He'd be on the 2nd unit behind Backstrom and Kuznetsov.

PP is not my concern, that's why I want Matthews over Laine. Give me Matthews for all the things he brings at ES.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
PP is not my concern, that's why I want Matthews over Laine. Give me Matthews for all the things he brings at ES.

Fair enough, for the Caps i think it should be best player available, and that's basically a coin flip.

At this point it's Matthews replacing Eller at 3C or Laine replacing Vrana/Burakovsky at 2LW/2RW. Our Centre Depth is clearly stronger than our winger depth and moving Kuznetsov to wing with Matthews is not a sure thing, but giving Kuznetsov Laine to play with is a lot more safe.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If a single person would select Patrik Laine over Auston Matthews to start or build to a NHL team, you just don't know puck.

Reactions: Menzinger

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Fair enough, for the Caps i think it should be best player available, and that's basically a coin flip.

At this point it's Matthews replacing Eller at 3C or Laine replacing Vrana/Burakovsky at 2LW/2RW. Our Centre Depth is clearly stronger than our winger depth and moving Kuznetsov to wing with Matthews is not a sure thing, but giving Kuznetsov Laine to play with is a lot more safe.

My strategy would be to have the strongest center depth. Backstrom/Matthews/Kuznetsov/Eller would be unmatched, by far the best center depth in the league. There is no harm in having an elite player on the 3rd line.

I guess we just have different philosophies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
My strategy would be to have the strongest center depth. Backstrom/Matthews/Kuznetsov/Eller would be unmatched, by far the best center depth in the league. There is no harm in having an elite player on the 3rd line.

I guess we just have different philosophies.

to me it's a coin flip. I just think Laine will end up the better player, and that's the main factor.

we won't know for some time what the right choice is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not to mention a few variables are important here.

Matthews plays on the 2nd Unit PP AND for some strange reason he has to play on his off side

Put hi in a different situation and his PP production will skyrocket

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You can't have both of them play at the top of the left circle on the PP. Laine leads the league in PP goals and he makes his living in the Ovi spot. Matthews is a left handed sniper, something we don't have at all on the Caps.

Ovy& Laine on the same pp, how the hell do you shut that down? (not you, a team).

Anyways the lineup would be a nightmare to match up with Backstrom+ Laine on 1 line, Kuz+ Ovy on another.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Caps fan saying Matthews. Give me that ES production, it's what kills the Caps in the playoffs.

Move Kuzy to wing or trade him or Backstrom for elite D talent.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Interesting poll, I can’t vote in it but I was actually curious to see the results

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I'm a Caps fan who voted for Matthews, but honestly it's a flip coin for me. Chose Matthews because I liked the idea to match the Pittsburgh depth on C. Plus Kuznetsov/Matthews versatile as both can play W or C. With that being said I personally believe that the Caps w Laine == the Caps w Matthews, so no difference here. Both are tremendous players. Hopefully they are next Ovi vs Crosby that holly war was fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad