GDT: carolina @ washington - Game 7

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Saw somewhere that the caps tweeted back “stay classy, canes” :laugh:
Yup. Its the top reply.

Which... I mean after some of the stuff they tweeted out on their own this week, is incredibly thin skinned. I saw some people say that maybe they thought it was a sexual reference, but come on, if you tweet a GoT meme, you really shouldn't be getting bent out of shape over not getting it when one sends it back. Especially if that line was a major plot point of the previous season. They were, I believe the term is, out of their element.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
My wife, who doesn't really follow sports much at all, saw the replay last night and commented to me about just how sad the national NBC guys sounded after Big Cock Brock (from heretoforth I propose shall be known only as BCB) scored. Like, she doesn't watch enough to know anything, and I don't really talk to her much about whats going on other than the results, so if she is saying it, it was pretty blatant.

So yeah, I'm a little glad NBC now has to deal with a NYI-Carolina series. Screw em. Even more glad to hear that Forslund apparently is going to be calling our games as well.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Found this on the main board's photoshop thread. Had to share here so it gets more love!

sJ28xbZ.gif

Nice job @IPW !

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yup. Its the top reply.

Which... I mean after some of the stuff they tweeted out on their own this week, is incredibly thin skinned. I saw some people say that maybe they thought it was a sexual reference, but come on, if you tweet a GoT meme, you really shouldn't be getting bent out of shape over not getting it when one sends it back. Especially if that line was a major plot point of the previous season. They were, I believe the term is, out of their element.
xA2CUX2.gif

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
These being national coverage games.
Does John still get to homer a bit and call Hurricanes goals with a “Hey hey what do you say, (insert Hurricane player here)!”?

Reactions: Tryamw

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
John seemed to overcorrect to not seem homerish in the one he did during the Washington series, to the point it was a bit annoying.

Regarding John, has anyone else gotten a general meh feeling from him lately? I don't know if Tripp has finally worn him down, but he used to have a bit more fun and now it seems he's completely non-reactive. Kinda sucks, because those interactions were great and made me appreciate John more.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Couldn’t this just as easily be praise for Slavin/Pesce instead of Dougie sheltering?

It’s game 7 and “win or go home.” If your best pairing can go... why not keep sending them over the boards?

And praise of CDH and Justin Faulk.

Hamilton is the highest paid dman but was deployed like a #5 when it mattered most.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
John seemed to overcorrect to not seem homerish in the one he did during the Washington series, to the point it was a bit annoying.

Regarding John, has anyone else gotten a general meh feeling from him lately? I don't know if Tripp has finally worn him down, but he used to have a bit more fun and now it seems he's completely non-reactive. Kinda sucks, because those interactions were great and made me appreciate John more.
I genuinely think he likes working with Tripp, he just rolls his eyes more and moves the discussion forward rather than engaging.

I mean look at the myriad of reaction shots in the booth this year and then try to say Forslund isn't engaged with this team anymore. If anything, I think he is enjoying this season a great deal. He seems to be in a better mood most nights.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The whole building was scared to lose. "Here we go again" was deep in every heart.

Even after a Stanley Cup, that fanbase expects to lose.

But this team, in the playoffs? Once we get there, we expect magic in the playoffs. It makes a difference.

It wasn't just the crowd, either. You could see the panic on Rierden's face starting in Game 6 when he lost it over the no-goal call in the third period. Then he left Ovechkin in much longer than he should've in a blowout, and he predictably lost his cool and got himself tossed.

Look, I know it's popular to want your coach to blow up at the officials when your team gets jobbed. We even joke that we'll start a gofundme to pay the fine. But sometimes, it's better for the coach to show some class and stay above it. There's still a lot of hockey left to play, and you're supposed to be a professional. Bad calls happen.

IMO, DeBoer and the Sharks leadership got lost in the controversy surrounding their comeback in Game 7 against Vegas, but they could have easily lost their composure over the Eakin goal that was clearly tipped with a high-stick to make it 2-0 in the second. But they stuck with it and got a break that changed the series.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
It wasn't just the crowd, either. You could see the panic on Rierden's face starting in Game 6 when he lost it over the no-goal call in the third period. Then he left Ovechkin in much longer than he should've in a blowout, and he predictably lost his cool and got himself tossed.

Look, I know it's popular to want your coach to blow up at the officials when your team gets jobbed. We even joke that we'll start a gofundme to pay the fine. But sometimes, it's better for the coach to show some class and stay above it. There's still a lot of hockey left to play, and you're supposed to be a professional. Bad calls happen.

IMO, DeBoer and the Sharks leadership got lost in the controversy surrounding their comeback in Game 7 against Vegas, but they could have easily lost their composure over the Eakin goal that was clearly tipped with a high-stick to make it 2-0 in the second. But they stuck with it and got a break that changed the series.
More than showing class its important because it is hard to play well/hard when you are blaming the refs

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I think Brindy knows this very well, and part of the reason we are lucky to have him. Yes, he blew up at the refs in Game 2, and yes, he is un-apologetically blunt with his critiques in the post game, but there's generally a rhyme or reason for it, and he does it in a way that is an absolute rallying cry for the team. And I think he gets this right so often because he was so long a leader of both the Flyers and the Canes on the ice, wearing either the A or the C for so many years. And the team just responds.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
And praise of CDH and Justin Faulk.

Hamilton is the highest paid dman but was deployed like a #5 when it mattered most.

Faulk is the highest paid dman at $6 million salary this year.

"When it mattered most". Some people on HF are just desperate to jump at any little chance to pile on Hamilton. It's too transparent. Hamilton played similar even strength minutes to Faulk, Slavin, and Pesce every single game up to Game 7. Including elimination Game 6. Slavin (105 minutes), Faulk (102 minutes), Pesce (100 minutes), and Hamilton (100 minutes) 5v5. Every single game in a Playoff Series against the defending Cup champs "matters the most".

Let's come off the narrative that Rod was desperately trying to shelter Hamilton. Ovechkin and Wilson made a point to harass Hamilton and get under his skin. While they were focused on Hamilton and Rierden was desperately trying to get Ovi out against Hamilton in Game 7, the Canes were focused on winning the game. It should be surprising to exactly zero people that Slavin-Pesce would be better to shut down what had become a one line team than Slavin-Hamilton. When moved down to lower competition, Hamilton created 2-3 good scoring chances on his own during OT. It was a great adjustment from all sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->