GDT: Carolina @ Vegas 10PM EST

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The oddly strengthening Hurricanes continue to absorb strength from the desert finding themselves in Vegas. The Knights prepare their homes for the storm but can the storm threaten them can they get new life in the desert. The knights worry that their defenses might come undone but hope to strike quick at the heart of the storm to disperse the winds and just get a light rain. the hurricanes however need to continue strengthening they are just a depression at the moment and the desert air isn't great for increasing power but they are here they have no choice...

Some are placing hope in Reimer others seek Mrazek's return to form.

All I care about is 2 points!.

Go hurricanes Send the knight flying disorganized.

OK so my silly GDT provided a win I guess I'll continue.. and tomorrow I'll fix my other thread.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
upload_2020-2-8_8-45-50.jpeg

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Crazy thing is, in the full games we've played with Dougie, we're a solid 4-2-1. It feels much worse because several teams around us have been crazy hot, we had a couple epic stinkers, and we fell out of a playoff spot for a couple days.

Assuming we keep a similar pace and the teams around us can't play .900 hockey forever, we'd probably be okay.

Only real shame is we haven't been good enough at getting loser points, like against Columbus and Vegas. We're tied for the 6th most wins in the league.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Only real shame is we haven't been good enough at getting loser points, like against Columbus and Vegas. We're tied for the 6th most wins in the league.

Exactly this. If they could have held on in the last 5 mins against Vegas last week and Columbus a few weeks ago, there’s at least 2 more points. The first BOS game too, where Gardiner hadthat epic turnover right inside the offensive blue line , was lost when they were tied 0-0 with less than 5 min to go. If you also count the game in Vancouver, where the Aho goal was disallowed in regulation, there would have gotten an extra point there too. So at least 4 points this year truly pissed away.

Ifs and Buts and such...

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Have to play big and watch for the cross corner dump.

starting on time would be nice

A couple of teams have used the cross-corner dump strategically against us. Both the Rangers and Columbus to name a couple. I'm not sure what they're seeing, but it does seem to lead to loss of positioning/coverage in our defensive zone.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
A couple of teams have used the cross-corner dump strategically against us. Both the Rangers and Columbus to name a couple. I'm not sure what they're seeing, but it does seem to lead to loss of positioning/coverage in our defensive zone.
When i see it work, this is what i see:

we have a forward and 2 defenders in the d zone skating backwards to watch the play. Those three are closely aligned across the ice fairly high in the zone. The person closest to the puck is responsible for shutting down their movement in the zone. The opposite person is responsible for a high pass across the zone and is generally leaning forward. The other team has a skater going full speed down the opposite side of the puck. The puck is flipped to the opposite corner. The opposite side defender isn’t able to turn and get to the corner before the streaking winger has gotten there (expectedly). The opposite winger is in no man’s land. If he moves up to take the defender, he is further behind the corner play / take an interference call. If he turns to cover the corner before the puck is flipped, the opposition can complete the high pass across the zone. The middle defender would be forced to play defense on a guy going full speed down the wing, play the entire middle by himself, and is hoping the other two top side wingers are back checking anyone coming down the middle of the ice.

this is how i see it. Not sure if that is 100% or not.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Vegas used it well against us in the previous game we played them. I expect to see it again.

Is it other teams seeing something in the Canes or do those teams just cross corner dump as their usual go-to?

I don't watch the other teams enough to know, but I expect it is not dumb luck and is actually good scouting combined with teams that play a dump and chase heavy style. We match up well against teams that like to carry the puck into the zone more.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
SVECHNIKOV LEADING THE WAY

By Ken Campbell
February 7, 2020

Check that, new linemates. Hurricanes’ coach Rod Brind’Amour has been loath to play the three together because he’s done so before and hasn’t been crazy about the results. But at the urging of assistant coach Jeff Daniels, Brind’Amour put his three top scorers together and got immediate results. “We’ve had them together and it wasn’t great,” Brind’Amour said. “The other about putting all your ducks in one corner is it sometimes it doesn’t work. But if we can get other guys to contribute, that becomes a real dynamic line.”
It certainly does make things a little top-heavy for the Hurricanes. Those three players account for more than one-third of all the Hurricanes goals this season, with Aho leading the way with 29. Teravainen leads all Hurricanes with 41 assists, which puts him among the league leaders, tied with Patrick Kane for eighth in the NHL. “Those two Finnish guys, I feel, are the best in the world at finishing,” Svechnikov said. Yeah, he really said that. “It’s really enjoyable to play with those guys. It’s super exciting to play with those guys.”
Thanks to one of the most feeble offer sheets ever, Aho is under contract for four more years after this one, as is Teravainen. In the second year of his entry-level deal, Svechnikov stands to make $3.6 million this season if he meets his performance bonuses, something he’s on pace to do easily. That will put the Hurricanes over the salary cap, but the excess can be carried over to next season. It’s a burden the Hurricanes will be more than happy to bear if Svechnikov can keep putting up points and the Hurricanes keep winning games. With 50 points, Svechnikov is well ahead of the impressive production he had as a rookie and is on pace to post a 76-point season.
“The maturity level of him has been phenomenal and the growth of his game is off the charts,” Brind’Amour said of Svechnikov. “Where he was (when he came into the league) and where he is at now…the learning curve coming into this league is tough and every day it gets better and better. I don’t know where it ends, but I think there’s still another level for him.”
As the Hurricanes chase a playoff spot and try to meet the expectations they created last year, it’s pretty clear this team is changing its complexion. No longer is its only strength its depth on defense. And while the return of Justin Williams has been a wonderful feel-good story, it seems the Hurricanes are no longer his team. Whatever the Hurricanes accomplish will be driven by their young stars, led by the likes of Svechnikov.
“That’s what we have to do, score right now and play good ‘D’ and help the team win these games,” he said.
Svechnikov leading the way as the Hurricanes try to recreate last season's magical run - TheHockeyNews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad