Proposal: Carolina - Toronto

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
It's probably more because the Canes have Slavin, Hamilton, Pesce, CDH, Fleury, TVR, Faulk at the NHL level and Bean, Fox, McKeown, etc.. in the system and is Faulk is a UFA in 2 years and gets paid the most already.
No doubt the canes have great D depth which makes him expendable but you have to admit that Faulk is a bit of a trainwreck defensively.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think Faulk can be a good #3/4 on a contender, what would he cost assuming Matthews, Tavares, Rielly, Marner and Nylander are off the table? 1st and Kap?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
On a side note, can you tell us about how Kapanen is coming along as I haven't been able to watch much of the Leafs this season, other than last night when the whole team laid an egg. I was never a huge fan of Kapanen as I thought his offense wouldn't translate well to the NHL. He's got great speed thought, but something just seemed to be missing to me.

What type of player do you think he'll become in the NHL? Who's a good comparable? Will the offense come along?
needs to get some offensive usage with good linemates before we get a good read. Personally I think he'll fall short of his ceiling but will be a Grabner-esque offensive player with Hagelin-esque defense for as long as he can skate the way he does. I don't think his brain will keep up with his hands and feet, but he has the tools (shot, shiftiness) to finish plays that are made for him and the wheels to create off the rush for himself. I would really like to see him on a Matthews-Nylander or Tavares-Marner line at some point because I think he'll stretch the defense to give his talented linemates room to work or they'll spring him for stretch passes - sort of a "pick your poison" scenario, but 20+ goal seasons will probably be linemate dependent, I don't see him doing a lot offensively in a vacuum other than the odd breakaway

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
On a side note, can you tell us about how Kapanen is coming along as I haven't been able to watch much of the Leafs this season, other than last night when the whole team laid an egg. I was never a huge fan of Kapanen as I thought his offense wouldn't translate well to the NHL. He's got great speed thought, but something just seemed to be missing to me.

What type of player do you think he'll become in the NHL? Who's a good comparable? Will the offense come along?

It seems like they are grooming him into a offensive 3rd line winger who can PK. He's actually really good on the PK and can create chances with his speed. I don't think the hockey sense is there to be a top six scoring threat, but a 20 - 20 3rd liner is realistic if he is playing with some reasonably skilled players. His speed is just unreal, and I think that alone will keep him in a top 9 role. I think his ceiling is Silfverberg.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Plus/minus stats from your fantasy league? Figured as much.

Try putting a pair of eyes on a guy once in a while. Faulk has some issues, but hockey IQ isn't one of them.
What are his issues then? Giving the pick away and it ending up in his net.

Bottom line, he's a bad defender and that's why he's on the block.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

he still has speed to burn, but he also tries to solve all problems with that speed which is ok in the A but in the NHL you have to use your head more then your legs...I'm still hoping though that he puts it together

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Faulk has his moments like most defenders that are expected to drive the offense from the blueline, but pinning his inconsistency in his own zone on that is misguided, imo. I, along with many others. feel that his problem is actually skating ability. Faulk has been tasked with playing an aggressive brand of defense that requires the lateral mobility he doesn't have right now. He'll step up in the neutral zone to create the turnovers that generate offense or gap up against oncoming forwards in his own zone, but won't be able to turn and recover if he guesses wrong. Faulk gets caught flat-footed more than any big-minute defenseman I can think of.

Unless Babcock's system is sufficiently different in that regard than Peters', I'd stay away if I'm Dubas. That assumes Carolina isn't giving him away, of course.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

i think kappy still has potential but its hard when you play 11 mins a game and a minute of that is pk time...
even then he scored 7 goals in 38 games last year which is pretty good for 4th line mintutes.

His upside is a 20-25 goal, 50 point two way beast. His iq holds him back a bit, but his skating, puck skills and shot are top notch. He could produce on another team but toronto is too loaded on wing atm. But the good thing with him is even when he isnt producing points, hes a very responsible player in his own end, and i mean the kids 22 and playing on the pk. great two way player all round.

for faulk i would give up KK+2nd+3rd+ pickard(a more legit backup goalie) would be more reasonable. If canes arent sold on KK i would exchange another prospect like SDA or Bracco for him.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I think Faulk can be a good #3/4 on a contender, what would he cost assuming Matthews, Tavares, Rielly, Marner and Nylander are off the table? 1st and Kap?

Kadri maybe. Nylander or Marner is more realistic even though they are not available. What would be really funny is if Faulk lights it up this season and all of a sudden leaf fans start making Marner/Nylander for Faulk threads.

Reactions: SlavinAway

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Kadri maybe. Nylander or Marner is more realistic even though they are not available. What would be really funny is if Faulk lights it up this season and all of a sudden leaf fans start making Marner/Nylander for Faulk threads.
ha, so it's funny that people's opinions change in light of new information?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Think...a younger but equally tattooed Grabner.

At least with his youth comes the hope he can develop hands.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I will retract my maybe and state that if Aho fails big time at C then Faulk for Kadri a definite yes from my standpoint. Will Carolina's young centers rise to the occasion? Or will they crash and burn? To be seen soon....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->