Proposal: Carolina / Toronto - if the leafs land Pietrangelo

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You wanna talk about Marner joining a team that finished dead last the prior year and put up those numbers. You want to talk about the adjustment it takes from OHL to NHL? How about the fact that Marner entered the league at 5 10 160 pounds? Hllareous you think 90+ points per year is so easy. The comparison is embarrassing for you
I didn't talk about any of those things or ever once suggest that 90+ points was easy, hard or otherwise. The original comparison was MM and AS 19 year old seasons. You felt that a 1 year comparison wasn't accurate, but since Svech has only played in his draft year (18) and this season (19), there are not many more ways to compare. Marner is a good player, Svech is a good player, it is not unrealistic to think that since Svech has trended similarly to Marner given their age and NHL production that Svech will continue to trend towards Marner type production level. You seem to have an angry agenda that has me Hllareously thinking 90+ points is easy or some other made up diatribe that nobody actually said.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You wont. Cost-controlled almost same caliber winger with better goalscoring. It would be different if the Canes was trying to save real dollars.
Yeah I'd prefer Svechnikov personally, but it's not a massive or clear value gap.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
When will people understand the Leafs are not trading Marner. He’s their franchise player he’s gonna be driving the offence for the rest of his career Dubas made it clear Mitch isn’t going anywhere.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
When will people understand the Leafs are not trading Marner. He’s their franchise player he’s gonna be driving the offence for the rest of his career Dubas made it clear Mitch isn’t going anywhere.

Great. Then tell the OP that. They’re the one who made this horrendous proposal where the Canes are getting bent over hard.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
Great. Then tell the OP that. They’re the one who made this horrendous proposal where the Canes are getting bent over hard.
I know I don’t understand how Marner shows up even in leafs fans proposals. Like dude you finally got one of the best players in the league and now you want to trade him away.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I know I don’t understand how Marner shows up even in leafs fans proposals. Like dude you finally got one of the best players in the league and now you want to trade him away.

I guess if they think they can get Svech + Pesce for Marner then why not since that is a disgusting overpayment for Carolina that’s not even in the realm of possibility

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
I guess if they think they can get Svech + Pesce for Marner then why not since that is a disgusting overpayment for Carolina that’s not even in the realm of possibility
Lol disgusting that’s a pretty strong word but ya that’s definately a very steep price and I agree that Carolina best hang on to Svech and Pesce those are key players for them. I think both teams say no to this wacky proposal. There’s a reason you hardly ever see elite young players like Marner, Peterson, Rantanen, Draisaitl get traded, the price is just way too high.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Lol disgusting that’s a pretty strong word but ya that’s definately a very steep price and I agree that Carolina best hang on to Svech and Pesce those are key players for them. I think both teams say no to this wacky proposal. There’s a reason you hardly ever see elite young players like Marner, Peterson, Rantanen, Draisaitl get traded, the price is just way too high.

I'd wager that most fans and GMs would prefer Svechnikov and value him higher than Marner. So everything you say about Marner applies directly to Svech as well.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Disgusting is an appropriate word in this scenario and in no way would Toronto reject this trade offer if it was truly in the table.

It is quite simply one of the most poorly thought out and immensely lopsided proposals that has been posted here in quite sometime.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
Disgusting is an appropriate word in this scenario and in no way would Toronto reject this trade offer if it was truly in the table.

It is quite simply one of the most poorly thought out and immensely lopsided proposals that has been posted here in quite sometime.
Toronto would reject it, it is poorly thought out but it’s not lopsided and im a big fan of Svechnikov. Lol I love how worked up you are over this kid’s proposal.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Toronto would reject it, it is poorly thought out but it’s not lopsided and im a big fan of Svechnikov. Lol I love how worked up you are over this kid’s proposal.

I ain’t worked up. I just don’t have the patience to dance around the issue with you on this. It’s absolutely brutal for Carolina and Toronto would agree to it in a second. It would make their team so much better and provide immediate and immense savings to their salary structure.

Denying this on your part is just embarrassing

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
Astoundingly bad offer! While Marner and Andersen (I know he was not part of this proposal) are both fine players, everyone knows that Leafs fans blame those players for early playoff exits and are trying to get rid of them for other teams' finest talents. Good luck with that.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Astoundingly bad offer! While Marner and Andersen (I know he was not part of this proposal) are both fine players, everyone knows that Leafs fans blame those players for early playoff exits and are trying to get rid of them for other teams' finest talents. Good luck with that.
You have absolutely no clue. Also you talk about leafs trying to obtain other teams best players, well marner is a 90 point two way winger at 23. This is a lopsided deal no doubt but there is risk to it as well.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Even if Svechnikov signed for the same money as Marner, the difference in their value wouldn't be Pesce. With the likelihood that Carolina won't grossly overpay Svechnikov, it's entirely possible they wouldn't even do a straight swap.

The OP sounds like a Leaf fan who only recently figured out that cap space has value

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The objective of a trade is to make the team better, both short term and long term. IMO, this deal would make the Leafs better as they'd now have one of the best defenses in the NHL (Reilly-Pietrangelo; Muzzin-Pesce, Sandin-Dermott, Holl, Lilijgren), and would still have a dynamic offense losing Marner but adding Svech.

Canes OTOH, end up with a much weaker defense (and even worse if Hamilton goes UFA where they'll end up with no top 4 RHD), are even softer than they were when Boston ran over them in the playoffs, and are now imbalanced in terms of goal scorers vs. assist guys.

I realize this deal wouldn't have any chance of happening, but IMO, it wouldn't make Carolina better, short term or long.

Blue Chip Prospect

Feb 9, 2019
Montreal
Why would they trade Svech alone for Marner ?They are similar in skill And ceiling but you want to Pesce ? And that's without talking about Marner's contract that is short and expensive and that Svech has a lot more dimensions to his game.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
As a fan of neither team, I’d honestly rather have Svechnikov. Once he signs his next deal I doubt it will be anywhere close to Marners huge Cap hit. Doubt Svech will ever hit 90 points, but he’s a really good player and can score

definitely not worth Pesce on top of Svech

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Depends what you value.

Goal scoring and individual chance generation heavily favour Svech. Marner is the better playmaker in all senses: primary assists, chance creation, and he's also better in transition. They're about even defensively 5v5, with maybe a slight edge to Mitch. Marner brings penalty killing (which he's not great at) and its probably fair to say at this point Marner is better on the PP.

Without considering contracts I'd value them almost identical with a slight edge to Marner. You're talking about an elite chance creator vs a guy who is elite at creating chances for himself. There are far few less guys that are elite at creating chances themselves than there are guys that are elite at creating chances for their teammates. Taking contracts into account, value tips to Svech, pretty easily.

In no way is the difference between them Pesce.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->