Confirmed with Link: Carolina sign Ryan Dzingel - 3.375 x 2

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Interesting that most of the fans don't want to see again NN/Staal/TT. They were so good in the playoffs. Though it's not good in two-way departament, i'd love to see Dzingel with Haula and Svech.

Similar issue, but I can see Dzingel-Huala-Necas as a 3rd line.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
That line might need to get sheltered pretty heavily with both Dzingel and Necas on it. Again, a lot depends on if Williams signs or not.
sheltering this line, in the way of giving it lots of O-zone starts, would seem to be counterintuitive to its strength of zone entries and breakaways. I feel like Foegele or McGinn are a great fit with Haula + Necas in Brind'Amour's 60 minutes of hell system, because of all the forechecking that would get done so 88 and 56 could outskate backcheckers.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Maybe Necas gets the Svech treatment til he acclimates himself fully to NHL 5-5 play. So a potential “bottom 6” of:

Foegele-Haula-Dzingel

Martinook-Wallmark-Necas

(You could throw McGinn on left side of either of those 2 lines, but I’ll believe the braintrust will risk paying his more than likely $2M+ arb award when I see it. Could be an interesting week...)

The more I think about it, the more I think I like Dzingel with Aho.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Maybe Necas gets the Svech treatment til he acclimates himself fully to NHL 5-5 play. So a potential “bottom 6” of:

Foegele-Haula-Dzingel

Martinook-Wallmark-Necas

(You could throw McGinn on left side of either of those 2 lines, but I’ll believe the braintrust will risk paying his more than likely $2M+ arb award when I see it. Could be an interesting week...)

Dzingel my Aho

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I thought Brind'Amour was pretty aggressive in changing line combos in the postseason. It was just the PP that he was stubborn about until the very end; it was only until the second to last game of the playoffs that he finally tried Faulk and Hamilton on the same unit.

He has a lot of flexibility in constructing the lines. I don't know that there's a combo of a Top 9 center and two Top 9 wingers to avoid. Also consider that the members of the prospective 4th line, Wallmark, Martinook and McGinn/Foegele, showed to be adequate 3rd wheels on Top 9 lines at different points last season and that was on a good team.

This team is lacking on the top end just a bit (growth from Svechnikov can change that), but the depth ranges from good to very good, depending on Williams' decision. I expect Brind'Amour to take advantage of that and mix things up on a regular basis as the season goes along.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Seems like the book on Dzingel is that he’s not a physical guy, etc., but after watching some of his highlight vids, the dude is no Ferland but he sticks up for his teammates and has dropped the gloves many times:

And he’s at least not immune to hitting:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
IN:
Erik Haula
Ryan Dzingel
Gustav Forsling
James Reimer

OUT:
Micheal Ferland
Greg McKegg
Calvin de Haan
Curtis McElhinney

I get why lists like these are popular at this time of the year, and it makes sense.

But anyone looking at this to determine what kind of summer Carolina had is missing the mark badly, IMO. The goal this summer was really just to keep as much of the group together as possible. We had the youngest team in the NHL last season, and we're even *younger* this season (mostly due to McElhinney's departure and Williams not being on the roster at the moment). We didn't need to make big splashes.

Our biggest places of improvement from last season to this will come from our core guys being one year older, stronger and more experienced, and our head coach having a year of experience under his belt. And *everybody* will benefit from the long playoff runs, both at the NHL and the AHL levels.

I mean, Aho, Svech, and Pesce are all still on the upswing of their careers and, considering what they produced last season, could be among the elite at their positions next season. Young veterans like Slavin, Teravainen, Mrazek, Hamilton and Nino are safely in their primes, and in the case of the latter three, have fully adjusted to being in Carolina. Necas and Bean *should* be able to hit the ground running because they weren't rushed.

Putting "Svechnikov" into our 2018-19 lineup, then putting "Svechnikov" into our 2019-2020 is not a lateral move. It's a *huge* leap forward. I think Aho has a shot at taking *another* step this year, into the 90-100 point range, so going 2018-19 Aho to 2019-2020 Aho isn't a "no change" situation, either. We improved at virtually every slot on the roster, even if the players are the same.

I think it's us and Washington for the Metro Division next season, and I like our chances. If we get off to a hot start with all the games in early October, I think it will carry us a long way. We could get really confident, really fast.

Last edited:

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
I would probably switch Nino and Svech here, but otherwise this is exactly what I was thinking. I really like TT with Staal, moreso than with Aho. Seems like the big man clears space for TT and lets him take charge of playmaking instead of deferring to Aho commonly.

I don't know if Rod would like that 3rd line defensively, but that's a ton of speed to match up against 3rd pairings and could wreak havoc. Watching Dzingle highlights, I love how he always seems ready for the puck in the offensive zone. So many nice passes by TT, Svech, Hamilton etc last season seemed to almost surprise the recipient and ended up as a whiff/miss/second delay before chest protector. Having someone who's always looking to receive that pass and make a quick move before roofing it makes the offense much more potent.
I love potential Dzingle - Haula - Necas just so we can call it jinglehaulass line. :nod:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Foegele-Haula-Dzingel

Martinook-Wallmark-Necas

An article came out about RBA saying he didn’t want to have 2 rookies to groom in like he did with Svechnikov at the same time and that’s why they kept Necas down.

Necas will be on the 4th and 3rd lines till he shows he can be trusted.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Our most successful regular season period last year was when our top two lines were

Nino - Aho - Williams
Svech - Staal - TT

These were two concurrent dominant lines last year for multiple reasons. Number one being that you have two intelligent players with big frames in Nino and Staal who know how to create room for the more finesse guys to do their job.

Aho line cycled the puck ad nauseam until they could capitalize on a breakdown in coverage, and the Staal line was using Jordan as a bulldozer to make room for Svech and TT to do their globetrotter-esque stuff.

If Williams is back next year, that’s my top 6 going into next year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

That did buy one UFA year, right? Whereas Brock just finished year 5 so any one or two year deal will still encompass RFA years only?

I think the Canes come into arbitration under $1 million with a max of $1.5 million on a 1 year deal. This is a chance for GMBC to sit in front of a 3rd party decision maker and save themselves some money using analytics. Everything up to this point tells me they will go hard at the lowest possible comparable.

Reactions: DaveG and Ole Gil

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
That did buy one UFA year, right? Whereas Brock just finished year 5 so any one or two year deal will still encompass RFA years only?

I think the Canes come into arbitration under $1 million with a max of $1.5 million on a 1 year deal. This is a chance for GMBC to sit in front of a 3rd party decision maker and save themselves some money using analytics. Everything up to this point tells me they will go hard at the lowest possible comparable.
Brock McGinn will be eligible for UFA after two seasons in 2021, when he is 27 on Jun 30th. Other than by age, you get to be UFA after 7 Accrued Seasons, which means spending at least 40 NHL games in the active roster. Brock has accrued three of those.

So yes, whether Canes elect for one or two seasons in the Arbitration, they are RFA years. In the latter case, he will become UFA after the contract ends.

And yes, Martinook will turn 27 at the end of this July and would have been eligible for UFA in 2020, but got signed for a season longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
While McGinn only put up 26 points this past season, his camp will point to his two season total of 56 points. Iafallo scored 58 and just got $2.425 mil per on a 2 year deal that buys out no UFA years. Laughton, with his 52 points, got $2.3 mil per also on a 2 year deal that buys out no UFA years. Lehkonen put up 52 and got $2.4 mil per on a 2 year bridge contract coming off his ELC.

They took an L on the Aho extension negotiations. Using arbitration in an attempt to squeeze McGinn will result in another one.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Seems like the book on Dzingel is that he’s not a physical guy, etc., but after watching some of his highlight vids, the dude is no Ferland but he sticks up for his teammates and has dropped the gloves many times:

And he’s at least not immune to hitting:

There's a few lazy narratives going around about Dzingel now. I'm going to assume it's sour grapes from fans who "didn't want him anyway" because none of it holds up under the slightest bit of scrutiny. The only thing that does look concerning about him is being a healthy scratch during the playoffs, but then again he's not the first guy to go to another team at the trade deadlne and be a little out of sorts.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Our most successful regular season period last year was when our top two lines were

Nino - Aho - Williams
Svech - Staal - TT

These were two concurrent dominant lines last year for multiple reasons. Number one being that you have two intelligent players with big frames in Nino and Staal who know how to create room for the more finesse guys to do their job.

Aho line cycled the puck ad nauseam until they could capitalize on a breakdown in coverage, and the Staal line was using Jordan as a bulldozer to make room for Svech and TT to do their globetrotter-esque stuff.

If Williams is back next year, that’s my top 6 going into next year.

I get what you're saying, but I hope that's not the thinking. Stuff changes. Players come and go. Opponents change. Game plans change. I hope the plan is to let things play out. What I did when I was looking at it, is that I first put guys at their natural or best position, then looked for matches. I think we have this:

C: Aho, Staal, Haula, Wallmark

Look, we can argue No. 2 vs. No. 3 for Staal/Haula, but it doesn't make any difference. The checking line that Brindy centered was our No. 2 line in 2006. Both lines are going to play 25 percent of the minutes at 5-on-5. Number them how you wish.

LW: Niederreiter, Dzingel, McGinn, Foegele

As Boudreau figured out, Nino *has* to be a LW. I guess Dzingel is comfortable on either wing, but my desire is to get Svech to the right side, so Dzingel goes here for this exercise. I don't doubt Svech/Dzingel are switched when Brindy writes names out on a cocktail napkin.

RW: Svechnikov, Teravainen, Necas, Martinook

Going strictly by this depth chart, I get lines of Nino-Aho-Svech, Dzingel-Staal-TT, McGinn-Haula-Necas, and Foegele-Wallmark-Martinook and I don't hate any of them. Maenalanen is the 13th forward.

With Williams, it actually gets messy, because one of the guys above becomes expendable or has to sit and a bunch of guys are playing out of position (*), IMO. Having said that, I still hope he comes back:

C: Aho, Staal, Haula, Martinook*
LW: Niederreiter, Svechnikov*, Dzingel, Foegele
RW: Teravainen, Williams, Necas, McGinn*

That would give me Nino-Aho-TT (not crazy about it, but OK), Svech-Staal-Williams (I think it's wasting Svech's skills), Dzingel-Haula-Necas (three similar players, don't belong together) and Foegele-Martinook-McGinn (not terrible).

So the bottom line is that I think a lot depends on Williams, and even more depends on training camp. I hope guys Dzingel get a shot to play higher in the lineup than we're currently penciling him in, because I don't think he's a good third-liner. I'm excited by what he'd do with TT or Aho. I'd prefer TT because I'm in love with the idea of Nino-Aho-Svech. I hope we can at least see it in the preseason.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Wheres wallmark in that second scenario?

Yep, I'm still on the "Wallmark is an excellent bottom 6 center" train.

If Williams comes back it's McGinn I'm looking to move out. I think he's the most boring, "fill out the roster" type guy we have left.

I do like him, and I'd hate to sit him, but I'm not sitting Foegele (does too many things we need), Martinook (too valuable as a leader, physical presence) or McGinn (if he's here), so Wallmark is just the odd man out. Like I said, I actually like the lineup without Williams. And if Willy comes back, we need to seriously consider moving somebody out.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad