Carolina Panthers

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
His biggest weakness has pretty much always been that he's not a very quick-thinking or smart QB...he's one of the most athletic out there, and when his reactionary instinct is correct, he's spot-on. But when it comes to his decision-making ability, especially under pressure, it's pretty much a crapshoot of whether or not he'll luck out or do something incredibly stupid.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
His biggest weakness has pretty much always been that he's not a very quick-thinking or smart QB...he's one of the most athletic out there, and when his reactionary instinct is correct, he's spot-on. But when it comes to his decision-making ability, especially under pressure, it's pretty much a crapshoot of whether or not he'll luck out or do something incredibly stupid.
I think that's pretty harsh especially the not a quick thinking or smart QB part. He certainly looked like a smart QB during the MVP season. He was making all the right reads consistently, checking down if nothing was there, etc. He just gets sloppy and careless too much since then. Playcalling certainly didn't help either.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable about our backup. Heinicke certainly looks just as good if not better than Derek Anderson has the last couple of seasons.

Cameron Artis-Payne also looks very good. That's a guy who plays 100% every single down.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think that's pretty harsh especially the not a quick thinking or smart QB part. He certainly looked like a smart QB during the MVP season. He was making all the right reads consistently, checking down if nothing was there, etc. He just gets sloppy and careless too much since then. Playcalling certainly didn't help either.
I don't mean not smart on any personal level, but more of a "hockey IQ" type level (football IQ?). I've just never seen him have that natural knack for making the right play or putting himself in the right position other than his "MVP" year where the whole team was really just clicking. I've seen him with big openings, wide open receivers, and seconds upon seconds upon seconds to make a play and then he throws it away, overthrows by 10 yards, runs it into traffic, hands off to a guy who's about to get pummeled, things like that. Maybe as you said he just gets sloppy and careless. It's almost like if the option he chooses before the ball is snapped isn't available, he doesn't know what to do. No different than how a lot of folks here felt about Hanifin, great talent, high ceiling, but questionable decision making at times. Granted, some of our offensive coordinators have been very questionable themselves, and like you said our play calling at times was horrid. His athletic ability could have him as one of the best QBs in the league IMO, but he ends up around the middle of the pack most years.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This has the makings of a 2015-like season where they catch lighting in a bottle (probably not 15-1 but could see 13-3 best case) or we are about to witness a typical 7-9 type season that they tend to pull back into after a playoff appearance.

Now, what Cam did tonight is what Jeff Fisher would say is 7-9 bullshit.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
3rd and long...Cam Newton chucks it 5 yards...Every. Single. Time.
This is a Norv Turner development. Even with our crappy receivers, Shula would dial up plays that had our WRs wide open down the field. We're just a trash dink and dunk offense with this dinosaur at the helm.

Also, CJ Anderson was gashing the Falcons defense early but has been glued to the bench so we can run CMC between the tackles or check down to him every passing play. Norv Turner is trash, plain and simple.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
This is a Norv Turner development. Even with our crappy receivers, Shula would dial up plays that had our WRs wide open down the field. We're just a trash dink and dunk offense with this dinosaur at the helm.

Also, CJ Anderson was gashing the Falcons defense early but has been glued to the bench so we can run CMC between the tackles or check down to him every passing play. Norv Turner is trash, plain and simple.

Norv got his glory from the cocaine cowboy days in Dallas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad