GDT: Carolina Panthers part 2: Is Darnold good or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For some reason the Panthers are really interested in Haskins, they are bringing him to Charlotte tomorrow, probably to sign a contract.

Why I don't know, unless they know Wilson won't be there at #8 or something. This franchise has become confusing to understand since Tepper bought the team.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
For some reason the Panthers are really interested in Haskins, they are bringing him to Charlotte tomorrow, probably to sign a contract.

Why I don't know, unless they know Wilson won't be there at #8 or something. This franchise has become confusing to understand since Tepper bought the team.
That's just insane.

Haskins is garbage.

Reactions: MikeGsVengeance

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Rhule’s going to have most of the power, he essentially picked the GM and was looking for a personnel guy to help work with him to get the players that fit Rhule’s systems. I think it’ll work out well if Rhule is the real deal being the one with all the power. If he’s another Chip Kelly (I don’t think so), this could turn to disaster real quick...

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Not sure how much input he had on the Seahawks but the olines the hawks constructed don't inspire confidence if he had a lot of input.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Panthers are going to crash and burn trying to get and then win with Watson. Dumping cap like crazy then Watson’s cap hit basically doubles the following season.

it will be slightly funny too.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Panthers are going to crash and burn trying to get and then win with Watson. Dumping cap like crazy then Watson’s cap hit basically doubles the following season.

What will be funny is if they continue to spin their wheels with the most boring QB in NFL history in Teddy Bridgewater. I'd literally trade every draft pick we have this year for Watson just so I don't have to watch that bum play QB anymore.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
As they are now, Watson won't be that much better off here than in Houston. The offense outside of CMC is okay, the defense is where they spent much of their money and all of their draft picks last year.

Reactions: DaveG

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

We'll see how it plays out but Rhule is the real deal and this team should have a very bright future with him, whether it's Watson at QB, or a rookie we go for, or someone else down the road. Every single team in the league without a clear franchise QB locked up should be in on a potential Watson deal at least initially. We'll see whether he actually does get traded and what a bidding war/final price could look like.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I've heard of this guy but this seems like overpayment to me, maybe I'm just an idiot for thinking this :dunno:

Edit: And here's another one

1ba81be3b59b52930d1c9a5fc6a83d50

Maybe this will work out but right now I'm getting Rich Cho vibes here.

Last edited:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah the two OL moves are a TBD for me until we see how the rest of free agency and the draft play out. If these guys are expected to be the answer at LT and LG...it might not matter who's starting at QB. But the O-Line was completely gutted and versatile depth was definitely needed.

Irving only has a $2.24m cap hit in year 1, and the details aren't out for Elflein but I'd imagine his deal is structured similarly. And $2.5m of Irving's guaranteed $8m is a roster bonus due the 3rd day of 2022 league year, so he can be cut to save that amount. Or if he's still on the roster at that point the signing probably worked out. Otherwise, you're eating $3.26m of dead money for 2022...which isn't great, but keeps the cap hit pretty low for 2021.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

I've heard of this guy but this seems like overpayment to me, maybe I'm just an idiot for thinking this :dunno:

Edit: And here's another one

1ba81be3b59b52930d1c9a5fc6a83d50

Maybe this will work out but right now I'm getting Rich Cho vibes here.

That’s not much money at all for a couple guys who do have the upside to be decent stopgap starters. Some inconsistency and injuries in both their pasts but maybe they could fit in well here. If not, it’s not that big of a risk on short, inexpensive deals.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's probably better than Bridgewater but that's not saying much. Just another mediocre QB for a mediocre franchise to continue spinning their wheels while going nowhere.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's probably better than Bridgewater but that's not saying much. Just another mediocre QB for a mediocre franchise to continue spinning their wheels while going nowhere.

He's worth a shot. Given the mess the Jets have been, the atrocious coach they've had, and the lack of stability there, he may do fine elsewhere. Maybe not though, but IMO, worth a chance.

I guess it's more of a forgone conclusion than before who the Jets are taking.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well Watson was off the table once his allegations got going.

The problem here is that Darnold might be damaged goods. Adam Gase, I still don't understand why the Jets gave him the job but Jets gonna Jet I guess.

Panthers should take Pitts if he's there. That would be a good target for Darnold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad