GDT: Carolina Panthers part 2: Is Darnold good or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Would Cam have accepted a huge paycut from the Panthers to come back?

I don't recall what his salary would've been this year but wasn't it near 23-25m?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Would Cam have accepted a huge paycut from the Panthers to come back?

I don't recall what his salary would've been this year but wasn't it near 23-25m?
Cam had a year left on his contract. For free. Due to bonuses and up front money, he was due exactly zero dollars this season. If you were trading him because he wouldn't re-sign, it might make sense. But we couldn't manage to trade him, so we cut him.

It's hard to explain that decision as anything but malice. They hated Cam and wanted to get rid of him, no matter what it did to the team.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Cam had a year left on his contract. For free. Due to bonuses and up front money, he was due exactly zero dollars this season. If you were trading him because he wouldn't re-sign, it might make sense. But we couldn't manage to trade him, so we cut him.

It's hard to explain that decision as anything but malice. They hated Cam and wanted to get rid of him, no matter what it did to the team.

This could not be further from the truth. He was going to take up $20M in cap space if we kept him on that deal. Also, he wanted an extension and didn't want to play on a 1 year deal, which, along with the injury concerns were the main reasons we released him. Nobody was going to trade for him, he had zero value on that contract. As shown by him taking essentially vet min in FA because no one else offered him a deal. I was highly questioning the decision to let Cam walk at the time, and am still not happy about the Bridgewater signing at all, but Cam's play this season has shown that the team was 100% in the right to move on from him. It was the right football decision by Rhule, Hurney and Tepper. There is no other way to spin it.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
From a pure entertainment perspective I think Winston is more fun to watch than Teddy. Why not get Jameis, save 19m, and have a more fun product while getting a higher pick?
I don’t think Winston would be available *as a starter* for $1 million.
Watching him and Robby Anderson would be joyous for my fantasy team, however.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I think Winston chose the destination and deal for a chance to get his image as a QB rehabbed, like....Teddy Bridgewater.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I had to look up the last time the Panthers won a game because it feels like they haven't won since before Halloween. I guess I forgot they shut-out the Lions but if a team beats the Detroit Lions does it really mean anything?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Will tonight be a disaster or just a loss.
I'm predicting the worst.

Kind of an ideal game aside from the first 3 Packers possessions. Kept it competitive, showed a ton of potential and promise on D with 5 sacks and just 3 points allowed after the first 3 TDs. (Packers had allowed only 14 sacks in 13 games before last night...) Teddy was terrible but that's what he is and we all know it now. Upgrade at QB in this draft and Panthers are in great shape going forward if the D can build off of performances like this. Also Rhule showed some great coaching at the end of the game sending the FG unit out there and getting the ball back to give us a chance. Didn't matter with Teddy but decisions like that will become huge when we do have a QB who can win us a game at the end.

Reactions: Tryamw

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Panthers fans should rejoice, this guy was an absolute disaster for this franchise. Still in disbelief that JR even hired him back. Kevin Colbert, come on down!

Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Panthers undefeated since Hurney 2.0 gone.
Yeah but we faced the WFT no way both teams weren't going to find a way to $@#$ it up :P Washington by not clinching Panthers by not protecting the draft pick :P

I expected this result (Not how it played out) both teams are good at hurting themselves.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
For when we strike out on 1st round QBs

Yeah I think I might have to give up on the Panthers for good if that happens. I can understand passing on a QB in the 1st this year if we get a stud OT or CB, but that's still no excuse to go into next season with bums like Bridgewater and Haskins as your QBs. We should still look at a mid round QB or maybe even trading back up into the 1st if a guy falls. And as bad as Bridgewater and Haskins are, they most likely aren't bad enough to lead us into another high pick next year especially given the development of the rest of the team. Also the QB draft next year should be much weaker unless more guys opt to go back to school.

Reactions: cptjeff

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Deshaun Watson to Hurricanes I mean Panthers E5, you heard it here first.

But really, Panthers fans... what kind of dirty things would you do to make this happen. On second thought, that was a rhetorical question.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I wonder if the new GM, whoever that ends up being, would have the balls to trade for Watson.

Probably not, but Watson in a Panthers uniform sure as hell wouldn't be boring.

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->