GDT: Carolina Panthers part 2: Is Darnold good or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm just confused as to what the plan is going forward. If they're going to tank, then tank but they seem to be content with winning 6-7 games a season with the signings so far.

They're striving for average I guess, which would be what the franchise has been since birth outside one really good season (2015) and one out-of-nowhere Super Bowl run (2003).

At least we in Charlotte have the Checkers, so I'm set there.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'm just confused as to what the plan is going forward. If they're going to tank, then tank but they seem to be content with winning 6-7 games a season with the signings so far.

They're striving for average I guess, which would be what the franchise has been since birth outside one really good season (2015) and one out-of-nowhere Super Bowl run (2003).

At least we in Charlotte have the Checkers, so I'm set there.
They’re in a catch 22. Their best option to rebuild is to trade McCaffrey right now, before the draft.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
They really should consider trading McCaffrey. You could ride him now, but in 3-4 years he'll be toast with the amount of carries/touches he's getting. IDK, either commit to the rebuild or go ham in the free agent market, but pick a path.

Bridgewater has gotten a lot of praise for going 5-0 but once you start looking the numbers (or hell, if you go back and watch those games) he wasn't doing a whole lot other than not screwing things up. The Saints defense and special teams was straight-up incredible in that span of games. Teddy's best attribute was that he didn't have many (if any) screwups. It's really not a sustainable formula for success unless you have a very, very, very good roster and the ability to score points via special teams and turnovers.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
They really should consider trading McCaffrey. You could ride him now, but in 3-4 years he'll be toast with the amount of carries/touches he's getting. IDK, either commit to the rebuild or go ham in the free agent market, but pick a path.

Bridgewater has gotten a lot of praise for going 5-0 but once you start looking the numbers (or hell, if you go back and watch those games) he wasn't doing a whole lot other than not screwing things up. The Saints defense and special teams was straight-up incredible in that span of games. Teddy's best attribute was that he didn't have many (if any) screwups. It's really not a sustainable formula for success unless you have a very, very, very good roster and the ability to score points via special teams and turnovers.
I think anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knew this about Bridgewater. Everyone except the Panthers, apparently. They don't have 2 back to back winning seasons to rub together and it appears the new ownership wants to keep it that way.

Reactions: cptjeff

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I agree. I love McCafferty, but at the end of the day this is going to have to be like a 2011-2012 type rebuild. Ugh.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
tbh I think the addition of Samir Suleiman as the cap administrator might already be paying dividends. their free agent signings make a lot of sense once you place them in the context of 2020 being a year with a cratered roster.

with the departures of their free agents, and their own new signings being below a certain threshold, they could be in line for 3, potentially 4 compensation picks next year. which makes a lot of sense in a rebuild, and which is a tidy accomplishment in cap management for a team that has long seemed to be far behind the times in managing cap assets and year over year flexibility. probably because the previous owner wasn't interested in throwing stacks of cash at problems that could be solved with stacks of cash.

Reactions: DaveG

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Don't seem to get people. Are people actually content with picking up Teddy for 20 million most of them are the same guys who say Cam is injury prone but we just picked up a guy who's already missed more games in his career.....some also think we are going to be mediocre but when you look at the roster I see a 4 win team at best with the state the defense is in and look at who we have to face in our own division we will be lucky to pick up a win within the division. Who is going to do the heavy lifting on D because our defense is probably one of the worst in the league without Luke(hell we were 2nd worst in PPG ahead of Miami with 29.4). It was already horrid against the run last year I doubt pickups are going to make much of a difference for next season.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I get that people were tired of Cam. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

I do not get that people think Bridgewater is the answer. Seems like people are talking themselves into it.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I don't think Bridgewater is "the answer" (though what is the question?) but I do think he is a competent quarterback who will guide the team through a rebuilding period. and then he'll probably be jettisoned after two years when there's another quarterback who has a more long-term projected role.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I get that people were tired of Cam. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

I do not get that people think Bridgewater is the answer. Seems like people are talking themselves into it.

i wouldn't qualify myself as someone that was tired of cam, but when luke suddenly retired and almost our entire defense was set to depart via free agency, it was a reality we had to adjust to. there's no two ways about it regarding our defense. we're going to stink. we're going to stink badly. the secondary is in shambles and in a pass heavy league, that's a death sentence especially if you can't pressure the quarterback. there are no veteran pass rushers of consequence left on the roster. we had some really decent rotational pass rushers with addison, irvin, mccoy, horton, etc. and they're all gone. brian burns, christian miller, and marquis haynes are going to be handed that baton and the drop off there is obvious. burns is going to be a great player eventually, but he's still raw and his injury last season limited him severely and that's a cause for concern. but when donte jackson is your cb1, you're already in trouble. i would have obviously preferred they handled the situation with cam more gracefully, but the breakups are almost always bad with franchise quarterbacks.

bridgewater probably isn't "the answer" in the sense that he's going to become the starter and push back any plans we have of drafting our future at quarterback, but there has been too much stat scouting on his time with the vikings without a real understanding of what that situation was. but as far as this offense goes, they've gone a long way towards fixing a lot of what failed us last season on that side of the ball. i think we have a league average offense if we can make ian thomas or seth devalve a starting caliber tight end in the pass catching game. bridgewater is a fantastic choice to put the ball on people in short routes and spend a lot of time on the field. that will help the defense.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
1 - Interesting signing of PJ Walker. He looked like he could be a good one in the XFL. Could be an underrated signing.

2 - I seriously cannot believe they were able to get a 5th round pick for Kyle Allen. That guy sucked at QB. Now, I'm not surprised that Washington was stupid enough to make that offer, but wow.

Reactions: Unsustainable

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well of course Washington made that offer, it was either them or Buffalo since it seems the Panthers leftovers go to former coaches new home. And, it's the Redskins, they are no strangers to bad offseason moves.

PJ Walker played for Rhule at Temple. So there's that. Don't know anything about him so won't judge.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Another mediocre QB at best.

I think we know this new staff's type.

Still better than Grier though, who is such a bad pick that Hurney should be fired for it alone.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Cams last win (to date), this was November 4th, 2018.

They went to Pittsburgh 5 days later, they got the shit kicked out of them and haven't recovered.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So CMC got paid, nothing new, old news.

Too bad he will likely be wasting his prime years w/ a mediocre team thats rebuilding and will be rebuilding for years but at least here he can star in some sweet CPI commercials.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Brown was a fine pick for value and position, can’t complain. It was also an “easy” pick. I’m interested to see how they draft the rest of the way though. I wish we’d embrace the Patriots trade down mentality although we don’t have a Belichick calling the shots

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I preferred Simmons myself. I thought he would be an almost perfect replacement for Kuechly, but the truth is the defense needs help at practically every position. I was fine with any of Simmons, Odukah, or Brown.

Reactions: Novacane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad