GDT: Carolina @ Montréal: To Protect and Serve the Alpha Quadrant

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
I like how one loss with a depleted roster sends the whole board into a death spiral of depression.

Guys, this team leads the division, with essentially only one other team in the running, and has been one of the better offensive teams in the league despite playing 2/3 of its games on the road. Let's not get too worked up over a game that had "loss" written all over it in the first place.

Yeah, considering we played one of the better teams in the East with so many of our top players out, I'm actually positive after watching the game in that it was fought so closely for two full periods. A few lucky bounces could have made it go one way or the other. It could just as easily been us coming out with the win. Unfortunately it went Montreal's way.

The only thing I'm concerned about after that game is hoping that Ward doesn't lose the mental edge and lets those goals go to his head. If he bounces back with a strong performance next game, then no worries.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
Yeah, considering we played one of the better teams in the East with so many of our top players out, I'm actually positive after watching the game in that it was fought so closely for two full periods. A few lucky bounces could have made it go one way or the other. It could just as easily been us coming out with the win. Unfortunately it went Montreal's way.

The only thing I'm concerned about after that game is hoping that Ward doesn't lose the mental edge and lets those goals go to his head. If he bounces back with a strong performance next game, then no worries.

Additionally it was an away game against a legitimate team in Montreal. It's sort of OK to lose that, especially when your goalie isn't playing well.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Not sure. Does it need to result in a scoring chance in order for it to be considered a good play by a defender? A dump-in after a rush is the very definition of getting the puck deep, and that is Muller's *primary* point of emphasis.

Now, you can disagree with Muller, if you like, and espouse that the primary point of emphasis should be puck possession, but that would be on Muller, not Sangs.

I think we're usually too hard on dmen. Our idea of what an 'average' dman in the NHL is, and what is actually an average dman is is probably off by a bit. I'm pretty sure I'm too hard on McBain, for example.

But with Sangs, unlike some of the others, the stats are brutal. 0 points in 10 games and a -8. It seems like he's sloppy in his own zone, isn't much of a threat from the point, and doesn't do anything too well. I'm using 'seems' here, because I'm just a yokel in the stands, and hardly an expert on such things.

But on this occasion, the stats and what I think I'm seeing are syncing up pretty well.

He was nearly a ppg guy in Charlotte last year. Just doesn't look like it's translating, which isn't a particularly foreign concept with our AHL allstars.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think we're usually too hard on dmen. Our idea of what an 'average' dman in the NHL is, and what is actually an average dman is is probably off by a bit. I'm pretty sure I'm too hard on McBain, for example.

But with Sangs, unlike some of the others, the stats are brutal. 0 points in 10 games and a -8. It seems like he's sloppy in his own zone, isn't much of a threat from the point, and doesn't do anything too well. I'm using 'seems' here, because I'm just a yokel in the stands, and hardly an expert on such things.

But on this occasion, the stats and what I think I'm seeing are syncing up pretty well.

He was nearly a ppg guy in Charlotte last year. Just doesn't look like it's translating, which isn't a particularly foreign concept with our AHL allstars.

If you look at the first Toronto game and the Devils game, Sanguinetti actually play very well. Made some nice breakout passes, didn't get caught out of position, actually played an odd-man rush well. I don't know why he was so solid in those games and bad in the rest, but my guess is it has a lot to do with whoever he's paired with.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Gleason is a stay at home defensive defenseman who plays against the opponents best players. Sanguinetti is an offensive defenseman who plays sheltered minutes against the opponents worst players. See the difference?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that Plekanec's and Prust's lines are not MTL's worst players.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Once again, we needed Boychuk, Dalpe and Bowman to step up and provide secondary scoring.

Boychuk had one game (deserved or not is irrelevant), Dalpe did not produce playing with Staal and Skinner, and Bowman is a total grinder, very little offense whatsoever.

Our hopes are now pinned on Welsh (btw, Tarheelhockey was completely correct in the 2009 Brind'Amour vs. Welsh debate) and Victor Rask, who is looking decent in Calgary and at the Worlds.

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are Free Agents :)sarcasm:). But so are Stephen Weiss, Roman Cervenka, Mike Ribeiro, Tyler Bozak and Piere Marc-Bouchard. Especially if Florida is out at the deadline, having a 1-2-3 punch or Staal-Staal-Weiss...:help::nod::handclap:.

But that precludes us from improving our defense, especially if we resign Semin long term. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is little talent on the FA market. Vishnovsky? Gonchar? Ryan Whitney? The ONLY person that is under 30 and looks competent is Ladislav Smid.

Even if we wanted to, I doubt we will get a chance to fix our defense. Better hope Levi, Biega and Murphy (LOL) can bring some stability.

Depending on $'s, I would take Sergei Gonchar. The guy has a ton of experience, size and plays positionally well. I think he would be a good addition to this defence. He still has a couple of years in him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But that precludes us from improving our defense, especially if we resign Semin long term. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is little talent on the FA market. Vishnovsky? Gonchar? Ryan Whitney? The ONLY person that is under 30 and looks competent is Ladislav Smid.

Even if we wanted to, I doubt we will get a chance to fix our defense. Better hope Levi, Biega and Murphy (LOL) can bring some stability.

There's an option for a trade to help fix the defense as well. JR get's defensemen via trade as much, if not more than UFA anyhow: Wesley, Hedican, Pitkanen, Gleason, A Ward, Corvo (first time), Seidenburg, Babchuk, etc..

Toronto has 8 defensemen on their squad right now with Gardiner waiting in the wings. They can't really bring Gardiner up until they move someone because with 3 more games, he becomes waiver eligible. I have to think they want to move 1 or 2 defensemen in the not too distant future.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
There's an option for a trade to help fix the defense as well. JR get's defensemen via trade as much, if not more than UFA anyhow: Wesley, Hedican, Pitkanen, Gleason, A Ward, Corvo (first time), Seidenburg, Babchuk, etc..

Toronto has 8 defensemen on their squad right now with Gardiner waiting in the wings. They can't really bring Gardiner up until they move someone because with 3 more games, he becomes waiver eligible. I have to think they want to move 1 or 2 defensemen in the not too distant future.

I was thinking about that.

Assuming that:

Skinner, Faulk, Pitkanen, the Staal's and Semin are off the table.

Ruutu and Gleason have NTC's.

Corvo, bottom six has no value.

What's left is a deal around Jokinen, McBain, and picks/prospects.

Luckily for us, Jokinen would be a great fit on the Leafs. He fills a position of need.

Jokinen for Gunnarssen?

(BTW, in hindsight, a McBain for Gagner deal would look awful right about now).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was thinking about that.

Assuming that:

Skinner, Faulk, Pitkanen, the Staal's and Semin are off the table.

Ruutu and Gleason have NTC's.

Corvo, bottom six has no value.

What's left is a deal around Jokinen, McBain, and picks/prospects.

Luckily for us, Jokinen would be a great fit on the Leafs. He fills a position of need.

Jokinen for Gunnarssen?

(BTW, in hindsight, a McBain for Gagner deal would look awful right about now).

I doubt the Leafs are looking for an NHL'r back when they trade a D..as they'll need the roster spot, especially when Lupul comes back. Picks/prospects are likely what they are looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->