GDT: Carolina @ Montréal: To Protect and Serve the Alpha Quadrant

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Agreed. I saw a few sparks from Bowman last night, but there are moments he needs to capitalize on and he has not done so yet. I wish Dalpe would have stuck with the Canes. I mean yes he needs to work on his game, but I just feel like he deserves a spot. I'm a little muddled with my feelings on these AHL/NHL on the cusp type of guys.

Just curious, why you feel he deserves a spot?

Reactions: MinJaBen

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
He played amazing earlier in the game to give us a chance in the third. To pin the loss on him for that center ice goal is pure idiocy.

Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant that the way he played in the third gave us a chance to win at first glance.

You're right, he did play amazing through two periods to keep us in the game when we should have been down. But two of those third period goals were inexcusable. I'm not pinning the loss on Ward at all but a NHL goaltender shouldn't let those in. If Ward kept the game 1-0 there is a pretty good chance our guys would have been able to keep the pressure for the tying goal and we could have gotten a point, despite our terrible play. Those two goals took the little wind out of the rest of the team. The loss isn't his fault, the team didn't play to win, but Ward has to take some heat. He did play well for 2 periods, but it's a 60 minute game and he looked like a ECHL goaltender for the final 20.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Just curious, why you feel he deserves a spot?

Like I said, my feelings are so muddled with these guys its hard to properly articulate what they are. Maybe its just because nobody is really standing out? I think I'm prejudiced because I just like Dalpe's style of play (minus the whole lacking defense, which he definitely needs to work on). I also like his speed. When he plays the PK for Charlotte he plays well. Its just not translating to the NHL. I will agree with others assessment and say that he needs more development, I just don't know if he can get much more development from the AHL and maybe needs more at the NHL level? Course I could be completely wrong :)

I like Bowman's play on both ends of the ice, when he is on. He has the speed, size, and a great shot. I just wish he would put the puck in the net when he has the chance.

Overall we have some depth and as much as I hate the injuries, I like the fact that a lot of our AHL guys are getting NHL experience.

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Jordan played about 8 minutes and had 2 complete WTF moments. That's not a good ratio. One where he fanned on a wrist shot and then fell down creating a potential breakaway and the other on the 1st goal where he overplayed Galchenyuk after he got a step on Sanguinetti.

Oh yeah, I remember that one when he fanned now. I probably just thought it was Sanguinetti. I'm pretty biased against him at this point.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It is amazing how little offense is generated by people not named Staal, Semin, or Skinner. It's like we have 8 Keith Aucoins on the roster right now. 9 last night.

The only other way there feels like a chance to score is point shots. Didn't realize how fragile our offense was, but it's awfully fragile.

Beardy*

It is amazing how little offense is generated by people not named Staal, Semin, or Skinner. It's like we have 8 Keith Aucoins on the roster right now. 9 last night.

The only other way there feels like a chance to score is point shots. Didn't realize how fragile our offense was, but it's awfully fragile.

If we're going to have guys on bottom lines that don't score, we might as well fill them out with heavy hitters to protect the guys on the top 2 lines. I have a feeling we might see those lines beefing up a bit in the future, which would be nice.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And out of curiosity, why don't you think Dalpe deserves a spot? Just like to see both sides of the coin.

In the 6 games he was here, on a line with J. Staal and Skinner, he was largely ineffective. His game consisted of dumping the puck in the zone, racing in after it and losing the battle along the boards. The fact that Pat Dwyer is a better option on that line is telling and indicates that he is not ready.

He doesn't do other things well enough (defense, being physical, ability to PK, etc..) to be effective in the bottom 6 as well.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If it's the one I'm thinking of (maybe it's not), where LaRose (I think) got back also, it was as much (if not more) LaRose's fault as it was Sanguinetti's. Even Tripp or John mentioned LaRose should have stayed with him in front vs. going with Sanguinetti to the corner.

Accurate. Heck, even Tripp Tracy saw that play for what it was...

I don't like particularly like Sanguinetti, but he wasn't any worse than anyone else last night.

And in some cases, he was generating offense, but no one will remember that when being so quick to take a dump on him. He had a rush or two that were Ryan Murphy-esque. For Sangs, the evaluation of him is entirely based on his gaffs, and absolutely nothing of his positives.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Pitkanen may skate tomorrow Muller says and could practice. Others are day to day including Skinner.

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Muller says Pitkanen is the closest to getting back on the ice. Skinner, Gleason, Brent and Wallace all day-to-day.

Last edited:

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Accurate. Heck, even Tripp Tracy saw that play for what it was...

And in some cases, he was generating offense, but no one will remember that when being so quick to take a dump on him. He had a rush or two that were Ryan Murphy-esque. For Sangs, the evaluation of him is entirely based on his gaffs, and absolutely nothing of his positives.

He has had a few up ice rushes that have looked flashy, but I don't recall them generating any offense. When he carries the puck up the ice he ends up pinned along the boards, dumping the puck, or is stripped of the puck. Can't remember any of those rushes actually turning into a scoring chance? Can you?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
He has had a few up ice rushes that have looked flashy, but I don't recall them generating any offense. When he carries the puck up the ice he ends up pinned along the boards, dumping the puck, or is stripped of the puck. Can't remember any of those rushes actually turning into a scoring chance? Can you?

Not sure. Does it need to result in a scoring chance in order for it to be considered a good play by a defender? A dump-in after a rush is the very definition of getting the puck deep, and that is Muller's *primary* point of emphasis.

Now, you can disagree with Muller, if you like, and espouse that the primary point of emphasis should be puck possession, but that would be on Muller, not Sangs.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not sure. Does it need to result in a scoring chance in order for it to be considered a good play by a defender? A dump-in after a rush is the very definition of getting the puck deep, and that is Muller's *primary* point of emphasis.

Now, you can disagree with Muller, if you like, and espouse that the primary point of emphasis should be puck possession, but that would be on Muller, not Sangs.

I think the distinction is that he needs to be generating scoring chances if he's going to give up so many scoring chances. I tolerate McBain's below average defense because he creates offense as well, and might be the best passer on the team. I expect to see something like that out of Sanguinetti but it has t been there. Is Muller/Lewis stifling him? Possibly. If that's the case they are setting him up for failure because he's not going to make it in the NHL with his level of defense and nothing on the offensive side to compensate.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Is Muller/Lewis stifling him? Possibly. If that's the case they are setting him up for failure because he's not going to make it in the NHL with his level of defense and nothing on the offensive side to compensate.

Not sure if that sets him up for failure. Maybe they are telling him to focus on defense and improve on that rather than worrying about offense for the time being. I think long term, the team is more successful if Sanguinetti can become simple adequate at defense vs. remaining terrible at defense but contributing on offense. Once (or should I say if) he improves defensively, he can start trying to contribute offensively. Just speculating as I have no idea what the coaches are saying.

I'm not going to write him off in terms of defense just yet. I remember how badly Jay Harrison played a few years back and he came around. Sanguinetti definitely looked better than Jordan has, and other than making a trade, that's the next best option.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Once again, we needed Boychuk, Dalpe and Bowman to step up and provide secondary scoring.

Boychuk had one game (deserved or not is irrelevant), Dalpe did not produce playing with Staal and Skinner, and Bowman is a total grinder, very little offense whatsoever.

Our hopes are now pinned on Welsh (btw, Tarheelhockey was completely correct in the 2009 Brind'Amour vs. Welsh debate) and Victor Rask, who is looking decent in Calgary and at the Worlds.

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are Free Agents :)sarcasm:). But so are Stephen Weiss, Roman Cervenka, Mike Ribeiro, Tyler Bozak and Piere Marc-Bouchard. Especially if Florida is out at the deadline, having a 1-2-3 punch or Staal-Staal-Weiss...:help::nod::handclap:.

But that precludes us from improving our defense, especially if we resign Semin long term. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is little talent on the FA market. Vishnovsky? Gonchar? Ryan Whitney? The ONLY person that is under 30 and looks competent is Ladislav Smid.

Even if we wanted to, I doubt we will get a chance to fix our defense. Better hope Levi, Biega and Murphy (LOL) can bring some stability.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Does that same rule apply to Tim Gleason? Of course not.

Gleason is a stay at home defensive defenseman who plays against the opponents best players. Sanguinetti is an offensive defenseman who plays sheltered minutes against the opponents worst players. See the difference?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I like how one loss with a depleted roster sends the whole board into a death spiral of depression.

Guys, this team leads the division, with essentially only one other team in the running, and has been one of the better offensive teams in the league despite playing 2/3 of its games on the road. Let's not get too worked up over a game that had "loss" written all over it in the first place.

Beardy*

I like how one loss with a depleted roster sends the whole board into a death spiral of depression.

Guys, this team leads the division, with essentially only one other team in the running, and has been one of the better offensive teams in the league despite playing 2/3 of its games on the road. Let's not get too worked up over a game that had "loss" written all over it in the first place.

Its not that they lost... its how they lost.

Outside of Cam playing out of his mind in the first 40 minutes, they couldn't compete. The injuries were too much to overcome, and they got completely shut down. There was a 2 minute flurry at the end of the 2nd, but thats it. And they were especially brutal whenever we had the pairing of Jordan-Sanguinetti out there.

Judging from the way last night went, we will lose every game we have these guys out. Pitkanen desperately needs to come back, and soon. Who the hell knows whats up with Gleason, and until I am convinced otherwise, I am assuming the worst for Skinner, with his concussion history already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad