Carolina looking very good so far this season

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I've watched 3 of their games. Much more entertaining this season and i hope they can keep rolling.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's great to see them doing well. It's very, very early, and they've played 3 of their 4 games against clear non-playoff teams, but their underlying numbers from last season were strong and they did improve their team in the off-season. I'm still not sold on them, but I hope they do well; they are a hell of a lot more likable than most teams in the NHL.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This upcoming stretch of games against Minnesota, Winnipeg, Tampa, Colorado, Detroit, and San Jose will be telling.

Right now though I'm happy with the start. I'm still upset they couldn't solve Thomas Griess on opening night but the response afterwards has been something we haven't seen since the last playoff appearance.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They're playing some good hockey thus far. I had them making the playoffs this yr. They keep this up, they'll do just that.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I didnt say he wasnt I just said hes not a "huge addition" I know what he is. I saw him last year and was disappointed to see him go.

He's possible stability in goal which changes the entire confidence and play of your entire team.

Ya.

He could be the biggest addition to their team with the greatest cascading effect through the whole team.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
when foegele scores a goal

BoilingAdventurousArabianhorse-small.gif

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
:facepalm: Nobody said it, simply after 4 games they are. The point was Carolina is currently overachieving mostly because they are playing against weak opposition.

You don't see the reason to think this isn't a playoff team yet it all relies on a huge assumption that they will get "near average goaltending" when there is no actual evidence it will be the case. They still have the guy who was extremely terrible last year, the guy who was terrible for a few years and the career backup as their choices in goal.

"Considerable improvement up front" is 18 y.o. rookie and 4th liner Martinook. Lindholm was traded away to get Ferland and the other guys (Wallmark, Foegele, etc.) were at Canes disposal last year as well. They lost Ryan and Skinner. So really, guys promoted from the AHL and 18 y.o. Svechnikov is the considerable improvement over Skinner?

I get it. The team is looking good, it also has de Haan and Hamilton this year, forward group looks deep.. But at its core, this is a team which missed the playoffs by 15 points last year and hasn't made straight up improvements. They reshuffled the deck and that's all. Surely their youngsters got better but 15 points in the standings is hardly a gap which can be covered by internal growth.

The Canes will be in the hunt for a playoff spot because their division is not great and they have some nice pieces but "not seeing any reason to think this isn't a playoff team this year" is just the definition of a wishful thinking rather than facing facts.

division sucks.....last 3 cup winners

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Canes are looking really good right now. Not sure if it's sustainable but I've been impressed lately. Looked dominant against some good teams like the Flames and Golden Knights.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
They're on a good little run now, but still 3 points out of the final playoff spot.

Keep this run up for 6-7 more games and they could find themselves in the 8th spot, maybe even the 7th. But that's a tall order.

In the West they'd be the first wildcard right now. *kicks rock*

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Canes are looking really good right now. Not sure if it's sustainable but I've been impressed lately. Looked dominant against some good teams like the Flames and Golden Knights.
Ya I haven’t watched a Canes game all year until they played the Canucks. I know the Canucks aren’t good but that game was complete domination. I came away wondering how the hell the Canes could be out of the playoffs if that’s how they played all year. I’ve never seen a team win every battle and every race to the puck like that. Hard working team. Getting a guy who can put the puck in the net (Niederreiter) helps. Another goal scorer would be huge for them. Doesn’t sound sexy but I could see a guy like Silfverberg do very well there.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
After facing CGY and PIT, they're going to have a stretch where they face the following teams: BUF, NYR x2, NJ, OTT, EDM, DAL x2, FLA x2, LA, STL.

A lot of games against beatable teams there...

You meant to say “after they face pitts cgy and buff they have a lot of winnable games”.. right?

..ok buffalo is trash right now.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You meant to say “after they face pitts cgy and buff they have a lot of winnable games”.. right?

..ok buffalo is trash right now.

Calgary is in contention for the President's Trophy and Carolina has had real issues with Pittsburgh in recent years (4-9-1 since Sullivan was hired).

Buffalo is a beatable opponent in comparison. I assume that's what the poster was trying to convey.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Calgary is in contention for the President's Trophy and Carolina has had real issues with Pittsburgh in recent years (4-9-1 since Sullivan was hired).

Buffalo is a beatable opponent in comparison. I assume that's what the poster was trying to convey.

Haha I know- my guys just lost 7-3 to the hawks, they’re beatable just in general.

Carolina lookin good, happy Aho is gettin more recognition.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
They're on a good little run now, but still 3 points out of the final playoff spot.

Keep this run up for 6-7 more games and they could find themselves in the 8th spot, maybe even the 7th. But that's a tall order.

In the West they'd be the first wildcard right now. *kicks rock*
Id bank on Columbus collapsing right before or after the trade deadline though. So theres that

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Nino's scoring isn't obviously going to last at this pace but im glad he seems like a good fit.

It's obvious at this point if this team puts the puck in the net they're a playoff team. Problems arise when scoring dries up. And with that offense it likely will again.

Come on Waddell. Get this team couple good forwards, sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->